SASS Wire Forum

" Modern Shooting Gloves"

Dapper Dynamite Dick

In the Shooters Handbook, it indicates that we are not allowed to use "modern shooting gloves", fair enough, but what is the exact definition of modern shooting gloves? The reason for this question is, as we get older, many of us are on doctor prescribed medications that change our bodies. In my case I have noticed an increasing lack of elasticity in the skin on my hands. I find that in almost every match that I compete in I end up tearing skin. Is there a style of authorized gloves that would be "period correct" that I could wear while shooting? I'm thinking of something like cyclists use, where all the fingers are exposed but the rest of the hand is covered. Comments?

Fingerless wool gloves have been around since wool itself. Most all Sutlery's  sell them for Civil War reenactment. Most bicycle gloves have grip enhancing silicone, rubber etc. added to the palms which is not SASS legal. I have both wool and leather fingerless gloves I shoot with. 

I took a pair of Olympic light motorcycle gloves & cut the straps/velcro off & use them. They are thin as driving gloves.

SASS is NOT a period correct shooting sport.

Leather gloves with the fingers removed is seen all the time with many black powder shooter and especially 1860 Henry shooters.

Just stay away from modern materials and fasteners.

Brown Jersey gloves are cheap, easy to modify(cut fingers off) and surprisingly warm and give great impact resistance. also natural fiber not synthetics.

Imis ( several pairs in my winter guncart)

Archived