SASS Wire Forum

Pump gun

dannyvp

My son shot a Winchester pump gun this weekend at a shoot. I can’t remeber the exact details of the gun but he did really well with it over a coach gun.

what are some options for that? I’ve read a lot of the Chinese stuff is junk on them.

Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You're going to get a lot opinions on this... But through the years I've always had no problems with Winchester 97's. There are a lot of good ones so available.

Phantom

THIS..... ^

AND... there are some good IAC model 97's also.   If you find an IAC model,  try to make sure the first two digits

of the serial number begin with 06 or higher.    Preferably, the CB prefix models are the latest and better

quality of the IAC 97's.

..........Widder

The Winchester 1897 is the only legal pump gun in SASS cowboy matches.  It, along with some chinese copies are good choices... I have 3 '97s, two work, the 2nd original Winchester works for cowboy, as long as it's fed thru the port.  My chinese copy is a TTN trench gun,  which isn't legal for cowboy, but is for Wild Bunch.  In the 4 or 5 years I've had it, it's ran just fine.  It'll run thru 6 shots as fast as anyone can pump it!  

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You're going to get a lot opinions on this... But through the years I've always had no problems with Winchester 97's. There are a lot of good ones so available.

Phantom

Hey Ol-man, clean out your PM box. ;)

OLG

The 97s come in both 12 gauge and 16 gauge.  Either is legal for SASS, but you'll be better off with the 12 gauge.  Shells for a 16 gauge are hard to find and more expensive.

1 hour ago, Outrider Outlaw said:

The 97s come in both 12 gauge and 16 gauge.  Either is legal for SASS, but you'll be better off with the 12 gauge.  Shells for a 16 gauge are hard to find and more expensive.

And, should you have a opportunity to shoot Wild Bunch, the rules of that game don’t allow the 16 gauge.  A twelve gauge 1897 is the only shotgun that is legal for cowboy action and for Wild Bunch.

9 minutes ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

And, should you have a opportunity to shoot Wild Bunch, the rules of that game don’t allow the 16 gauge.  A twelve gauge 1897 is the only shotgun that is legal for cowboy action and for Wild Bunch.

;)

16 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Well technically there is another gun pump allowed in SASS, Winchester Lightening rifle.

Just putting a fine point on it.

Ike

What is that?

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Well technically there is another gun pump allowed in SASS, Winchester Lightening rifle.

Just putting a fine point on it.

Ike

It was made by Colt-

NOT Winny.......

OLG

I love the 97. It was what I had as a kid on a farm in Oklahoma. Walked the hills around Apache (Wichita Mountain Range) shooting rabbits for the dogs and keeping coyotes away.

I only have trouble with the left-hand extractor. I've snapped two of them. Other shooters have a couple '97s just to keep spares. I paid $450 for mine, so Phantom is spot on for price. 

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Sorry, Colt is the correct answer. 

Then Uberti, AWA, Taurus Thunderbolt, Pedersoli, etc.

i do enjoy the fine points of these threads , gotta read the whole thing to get the total picture but all of the answers originally requested have been provided for one that cares to learn , 

Archived