SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1860 Henry opening

Tom Bullweed

Got a 1990s era Uberti 1860 Henry Trapper that I really enjoy and want to be reliable.

At a match this weekend, I was on the line, and firing my fifth shot, when the barrel rotated, the spring sprung out and the gun stopped feeding.  I know now that I could have tilted the muzzle to feed each remaining round onto the carrier, but I am interested in hearing from 1860 H shooters about a likely cause and prevention methods.

Wished I had an answer for you, but that's not something I've had happen or even seen another experience.  

Howdy

There is a the small notch in the barrel band of the Henry. The arrow is pointing to the notch. There is a tab on the underside of the sleeve latch rod that fits into the notch. That is what keeps the barrel sleeve from rotating. Normally, when you pull the follower all the way to the muzzle, the follower lifts the latch about 1/16", freeing the barrel sleeve to rotate.

Just a guess, but make sure the notch in the barrel band is not worn, and the tab fits in properly. You should not be able to rotate them unless the follower is all the way forward. Also, make sure the screw that secures the barrel band is tight.

That's all I can come up with.

Magazine%20Latch%2001%20with%20arrow_zps

PLUS ONE too Driftwood.

I campaign 4 Henry rifles.  Never even came close to that.  However, closely inspect the Sleeve Latch and the slot it fits into.  Then make sure, after loading, the latch is actually locked into the notch.

Archived