SASS Wire Forum

Switching categories - Frontier cap guns

Warden Callaway

1062729038_51NavyConfederate44sAug2019.jpg.3a4e213a7b6bee5986265a6b94821a49.jpg

I hope I found back everything I need. Got out a fresh box of caps. Filled an almost empty tube of Thompson's Bore Butter with Crisco. Sorted out 70 balls (10 extra). Got a pound of Grafs black powder. Ted Cash capper. Nipple wrench. And cheesy Traditions loading stands.  

I've shot Frontier Cartridge gunfighter category exclusively for the past 3 years at least.  But tomorrow I'm planning to take a shot with my little 51 Confederate 44s. 

I shot them in one match right after I got them.  Every now and then I get them out and shoot them a bunch here on our home range. 

But tomorrow seems like it may be the right day to shoot them again.  It's going to be cool.  It's on Labor Day weekend so we don't know how many may show up. And there is a 3 day match going on in Branson that is drawing off some of the regulars. May be a small posse.  

Now I just have to relearn how low to hold as they shoot high.

I'm looking at my 7 1/2" 1860s and thinking that they orta' be warmed up a bit!!  You could use a nipple pick with that layout!!

22 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

You could use a nipple pick with that layout!!

Got one stuck in back end of nipple wrench.  :rolleyes:

That reminds me.   I thought I'd take a set of tweezers just in cace a cap does fall back in behind the hammer. 

3 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Here’s hoping the soot gods smile on you and you have a clean match.

We will expect an after-action debriefing of course.

It would be more fun if you'd come on up and bring smoke.  Looks to be a perfect day for it - 90%+ humidity and 0 wind! 

I did well. Not a clean match. Missed two with pistols.  Had 4 clean stages. No Ps. Times were about average for me (slow).

Here the most challenging pistol targets. Two stage scenarios used this tombstone rack.  

I was hitting the first target but it wasn't going down. I had to aim higher to get it to fall.   Others had the same problem.  I should have shot my left pistol at the big targets and then any small targets with my right as I'm right handed.  I got the 5 tombstone plates down in 10 shots on the other scenario. 

The little Pietta 51 Confederate Navy 44s performed well. I had one cap that took two hits but that was probably my fault for not getting the cap pressed down tight enough.  Caps busted and fell away with no jams. 

The cheesy Traditions loading press got the job done but it was wobbly and took some fiddling with to get cylinder alignment close enough to work. The post is too small to and in the wrong place to align the cylinder.  I'm assuming it was made that way so it could be uses with many models of cylinders.  If it has a post the right size and location,  it would at least work better. 

There was a bigger turnout than I expected being Labor Day and other larger matches drawing off some.  But had two small posses.  Being on a small posse, the match ran quickly but I had to rush to get my guns reloaded. 

I'm thinking maybe shooting cap guns one match a year is enough.  

13 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

The cheesy Traditions loading press got the job done but it was wobbly and took some fiddling with to get cylinder alignment close enough to work. The post is too small to and in the wrong place to align the cylinder.  I'm assuming it was made that way so it could be uses with many models of cylinders.  If it has a post the right size and location,  it would at least work better.

Make a “cheater” to extend that short ramming lever and charge the cylinders without taking them out of the frame.  Faster and easier.  Mine is a 4” piece of 1/2” PVC pipe wrapped in a leather saddle string.

I'm thinking maybe shooting cap guns one match a year is enough.  

Heresy!

8 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Make a “cheater” to extend that short ramming lever and charge the cylinders without taking them out of the frame.  Faster and easier.

I made a "cheater" out of a deer antler.  That, and a stand.  I used that method the first match I shot with them.  But my cheater insert broke out and I've not made a repair. 

5a5bd7dc3613a_LoadingstandJan2018.thumb.jpg.0f7ad7ca3a89303bb3e209738b0ef42c.jpg

At home I have adapted a small Lee C press to load the cylinders.   I just bring the guns in to my reloading bench and reload them.  Have a power measure set up to throw powder. But I'm not pressed for time. 

Ol' buddy Lonsome Ryder has one of the SliX Hand cheaters. I ment to look it over more closely but didn't get around to it. 

I bought the Tradition press sometime back because they were on closeout at MidwayUSA for $14, as I remember.  I figured if it was it was useless, i could make it into something else - like a shotgun shell priming station or a deprimer.

My black powder was Grafs Reenactor.  Plenty corse stuff but always goes bang and makes lots of flame.  I think my powder flask throws about 15 grains so it's a mild load.

Oh yeah.  I got to cleaning the 51s and discovered all the nipples were loose.  I got into the habit of using Outters choke tube greese on the nipple threads.  I screw them in then break them loose again for storage. Then snug them up before shooting them again. I forgot to snug them up. ;). The nipples are what came on the gun. They and Remington #10 caps have been 99.99% reliable.

I like the PVC because it’s soft and will not damage the lever...the plastic would break before bending or scuffing the metal.  Not problem as long as I use pure lead balls. The metal cheater scares me a little.

18 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I like the PVC because it’s soft and will not damage the lever...the plastic would break before bending or scuffing the metal.  Not problem as long as I use pure lead balls. The metal cheater scares me a little.

How do you deal with the lever latch "wings"?  The hole needs to be a close diameter fit on the rod section else it puts too much pressure on the fragile end of the lever and binds it.  I initially had a hole large enough so the latch would enter and the end of the lever bent.  I added inserts to end up with a keyhole shape.  But the inserts eventually came out. Thinking of making one of copper.  Just ain't been important enough to do.

"How do you deal with the lever latch "wings"?

I passed the leather down the inside of the tube for extra padding, then made the outside wraps.  Here is the business end that fits over the end of the lever.  I no longer have open tops but it worked just fine on them, just as on the ROA demonstrated below.    The open top lever with the latching "wings" accepted it without a problem.  This cheater is at least 10 years old.

IMG-9386.thumb.JPG.a07872ceb4b1ff38af6d328340632d2e.JPG

Here is the back end of the cheater, giving you an idea of how I arranged the leather:

IMG-9387.thumb.JPG.d144e48728fd1f042b6a760b4654ef30.JPG

In position on a 5.5" ROA:

IMG-9388.thumb.JPG.e521233e45d1a09f3c901f2c759ee4f4.JPG

The Slix-lever works great Warden but it needs a bit of fitting for a '51 Navy.  I've used one for several years on a cut down Navy with no issues.  The main concern is to not use more effort than is necessary to seat the ball so you don't take a chance on bending the lever.  I load the cylinder in gun freehand on the top of my cart.

Warden, I too, for the most part, shoot in the Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter category.  But, I also like Frontiersman... so occasionally I get together with some like minded folks and shoot Cap and Ball Gunfighter!  It adds a whole new challenge to gunfightin’:

:D

(And, before a bunch of folks pile on here to remind me that I can shoot the Cap and Ball Revolvers in the Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter; I know, save your typing fingers!)

Archived