SASS Wire Forum

Rule 5.06(b)(3)(C)

Subdeacon Joe

Gotta love baseball!

Rule 5.06(b)(3)(C)

In the ninth inning of a game with significant wild card race implications, it was a pop-out on a foul ball that handed the Oakland Athletics the winning run on Thursday.

Facing the Kansas City Royals with runners on second and third with one out, A’s second baseman Corban Joseph hit a foul pop-up that drifted toward his own dugout on the third base line. Royals third-baseman Cheslor Cuthbert easily reached the ball’s landing spot, then extended out and caught the ball for an out.

However, Cuthbert wasn’t able to stop his momentum and had to jump into the A’s dugout. That would prove to be costly.

The umpire immediately called Joseph out, then signaled that play was dead and for both baserunners to advance. The Athletics went up 9-7, then held on in the bottom of the ninth to win 9-8.

Why did the A’s get that run?

The reason for the unusual run: Rule 5.06(b)(3)(C) of the MLB rulebook, which states:

If a fielder, after having made a legal catch, should step or fall into any out-of-play area, the ball is dead and each runner shall advance one base, without liability to be put out, from his last legally touched base at the time the fielder entered such out-of-play area.

That rule doesn’t come up often, but it clearly applied here.

Cuthbert admitted after the game that he was not aware of the rule, per MLB.com’s David Adler:

"At one point when I was getting close to the ball, I looked down to see where I was at -- if it was going to be a tough play," Cuthbert said. "That's why my first instinct was to hold onto the railing to not fall into the dugout. When the ball was coming down, that's the only shot I had.

"Then the umpire said the runners were going to advance a base. I didn't know about that rule. Every day you learn something in baseball."

The 47-88 Royals probably won’t sweat the loss too much in the long run, but the Tampa Bay Rays might be a little miffed. The win improved Oakland’s record to 77-56, which put them a game ahead of the Rays in the wild card race.

But only after dark on Tuesdays, when they get another card.

Just another reason I refuse to watch or even get involved with any sports. 

When a rule in a simple game like baseball has subparts and subsections there is definitely something wrong on this planet. 

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Gotta love baseball!

Rule 5.06(b)(3)(C)

But only after dark on Tuesdays, when they get another card.

Hey, rules is rules. We'll just have to beat Cleveland a couple more games and then win the games against the teams we should be beating. 

Rays fan here.

GO RAYS

Two guys playing catch with a third guy trying to hit the ball with a stick and maybe, just maybe if he's really good, not my opinion, he can do it 22 out of 100 try's. Overpaid dim whits.

Now NASCAR, turn left, turn left. Uh oh danger zone a drop of rain hit my windshield.

Basketball dribble, dribble shoot and run back. Repeat until the score is 107 to 102 just like last week.

Football lets hope the cops don't arrest me for drugs or domestic violence during the game. A fantastic play there, a gain of 1.

Nope I spend my time watching submarine races.

Ike

9 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Nope I spend my time watching submarine races.

Ike

34A27964-8B21-4518-A609-51C0AE500E06.thumb.jpeg.cc470b85857f4ae277dad86589d8bf0f.jpeg

This one was a nail-biter up until the water got a little choppy. I missed the finale.

47 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Hey, rules is rules. We'll just have to beat Cleveland a couple more games and then win the games against the teams we should be beating. 

Rays fan here.

GO RAYS

Good luck !!!! GO TRIBE!!!!!

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

34A27964-8B21-4518-A609-51C0AE500E06.thumb.jpeg.cc470b85857f4ae277dad86589d8bf0f.jpeg

This one was a nail-biter up until the water got a little choppy. I missed the finale.

You didn't miss much - yellow flag last few laps because of the pile up with the whale pod.

2 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Two guys playing catch with a third guy trying to hit the ball with a stick and maybe, just maybe if he's really good, not my opinion, he can do it 22 out of 100 try's. Overpaid dim whits.

Spend a dollar in a batting cage, watch a batch of balls coming at you at 70 mph, and try to make contact with one of them with a bat.  It won’t make anyone like baseball but it will foster respect for hitting a pitch at major league speeds.  .300 is quite an accomplishment.

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Just another reason I refuse to watch or even get involved with any sports. 

When a rule in a simple game like baseball has subparts and subsections there is definitely something wrong on this planet. 

Have you read the SASS Shooter’s Handbook recently?  :lol:

24 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I've often wondered about this:

No ammunition may be carried in the mouth, ears, nose, cleavage, or any other bodily orifice.

Who carried what and where to cause that clause to be added?  :blink:

59 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

SASS isn’t my sport...It’s my fun! :D

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

When I started this game ten years ago, the handbook fit in my pocket. Before long, it’ll be in volumes like encyclopedias. :lol:

And if ever you wonder how we got to this state of affairs, just mosey on over to Wire for a spell. You’d think the fate of Western civilization is hanging in the balance.  :rolleyes:

Now back to the original topic. I learn something new every day! :D

On 8/31/2019 at 12:24 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Good luck !!!! GO TRIBE!!!!!

Well, ended up sweeping you guys even with the handicap of our "closers". Good luck for the rest of the year.

GO RAYS

On 8/31/2019 at 11:17 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

More exciting than soccer.

JHC

Archived