SASS Wire Forum

New here and have questions.

Wild Wes Babcock

Howdy yall. I've been looking into joining SASS (got Jedi TV to blame for that) but I got a few questions about the equipment. Are cap and ball revolvers fair game for the gunfighter category or am I better off converting to cartridges? As for cartridges, is 38 long colt an approved cartridge?

And lastly but not least, do you need to drop some cash for a hat and accoutrements or will cheaper items do until I get more serious? The uberti Henry and cz coach gun are gonna set me back some $ so if i can save on the hat and clothing that would be ideal. I dont, however, want to buy garbage if its going to fall apart within months.

Sorry if this is the wrong section for my questions!

Welcome to the game. If you read the rules on clothing it’s pretty simple.

Shoot in the clothes that you have that meet the rules. Spend your money on leather guns and other needed accessories first. I don’t shoot cap and ball but I have a lot of friends that do.  I have heard them comment on having a stuck cap being a problem shooting gun fighter. Have fun and welcome 

C&B pistols with fixed sights are legal in all categories. That said unless you have a lot of experience with them or have someone to mentor you shooting them I suggest you start with cartridges first. 

For Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) C&B pistols require a fair amount of tuning to make then function reliably and not destroy them selves. 

Most Cartridge pistols will run well enough out of the box to keep you from becoming too frustrated. 

Before you buy any pistols go to a match and try out every style and make of pistol you can. Will save you some money in the long run.

Welcome to the best game there is.

I'm with Sedalia Dave as to C&B

Unless you're an experienced shooter I can't recommend starting out as gunfighter either.

Pick an age based category, get some wranglers, a long sleeve shirt, some boots or non-athletic shoes, and start shootin'; wo handed or duelist/double duelist to begin with.

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

C&B pistols with fixed sights are legal in alll categories. That said unless you have a lot of experience with them I suggest you start with cartridges first.  For Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) C&B pistols require a fair amount of tuning to make then function reliably and not destroy them selves. 

Most Cartridge pistols will run well enough out of the box to keep you from becoming too frustrated.  Before you buy any pistols go to a match and try out every style you can. Will save you some money in the long run.

Thank you both for the replies.

I'm fairly comfortable with cap and ball, I have an uberti 1851 navy that I've shot quite a bit and was hoping to save money avoiding a kirst converter (looks like I can!)

I imagine I will probably convert the pair to cartridges in the future but for now that's an investment I'm trying to avoid (I'm wrapping up college and funds are tight)

Anyone else want to chime in on the clothes?

8 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Welcome to the best game there is.

I'm with Sedalia Dave as to C&B

Unless you're an experienced shooter I can't recommend starting out as gunfighter either.

Pick an age based category, get some wranglers, a long sleeve shirt, some boots or non-athletic shoes, and start shootin'; wo handed or duelist/double duelist to begin with.

I quite like cap and ball guns. I was first drawn to them because they were inexpensive but I've gone down the rabbit hole and

here I am!

Thanks for the advice.

Minimal clothes you probably have in your closet - as mentioned above, a long-sleeve shirt and jeans.   Cheap pair of comfortable boots (Ariat makes many that are comfortable).   If you want a cheap hat, stop in a western or farm store and get a straw hat for the rest of the summer.  DO NOT invest any more until you go to a local match or two and get a good idea of what your local shooters are using.  You do know where folks are shooting locally, right?  If not, let us know where you are, or look on the SASS site for local clubs!

Good luck, GJ

3 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Minimal clothes you probably have in your closet - as mentioned above, a long-sleeve shirt and jeans.   Cheap pair of comfortable boots (Ariat makes many that are comfortable).   If you want a cheap hat, stop in a western or farm store and get a straw hat for the rest of the summer.  DO NOT invest any more until you go to a local match or two and get a good idea of what your local shooters are using.  You do know where folks are shooting locally, right?  If not, let us know where you are, or look on the SASS site for local clubs!

Good luck, GJ

I'm in Virginia, I was going to start attending matches this month to start meeting people and get a feel for SASS. thanks for the advice!

33 minutes ago, Wild Wes Babcock said:

I'm in Virginia, I was going to start attending matches this month to start meeting people and get a feel for SASS. thanks for the advice!

Where in Virginia?  Approximately? There are 4 clubs around Richmond, one in Fredricksburg area, one in Charlottesville and another near Roanoke plus one in Fairfax.  

I’m one of the cowboys who has shot the combination you described for many years. As others have already advised, the C&B pistols are great to shoot, but they’re high maintenance and will limit the time you get to spend with the rest of the posse. They will also need some serious attention to make them reliable.

The Uberti Henry is also big fun to shoot, but it too has some quirks that you have to bear in mind if you’re gonna’ be safe and smooth when loading and shooting it in competition. There’s a good thread on preparing and shooting the Henry on the wire or the Saloon right now. Go watch a match and if you can get with a Henry shooter it will be to your benefit.

If you’re not determined to be the best dressed cowboy right away, you may be able to meet the minimum dress requirements without spending a dime! With the exception of Classic Cowboy and B Western, there isn’t even a requirement for a hat!!  If you shoot an 1860 Henry, you’ll want one! Trust me on this!! One empty black powder cartridge down your shirt is all it’ll take! Anyhow, a pair of jeans or other plain britches, a simple long sleeve shirt, and plain boots or shoes, (not sneakers or the like) and you’re good to go!

The main two rules are 1:Be Safe  2: Have Fun......

I’ll add that after you’ve seen a match or two and have decided on your guns, spend money on good gun leather.  After guns that suit you, your rig is the next most important thing you’ll buy. Study gun leather and ask questions at those early visits to matches.

Cap and Ball pistols, a good quality SXS shotgun and an 1860 Henry, all belching Black Powder smoke and fire is about the highest style points you can hope for!!

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!

1 hour ago, Wild Wes Babcock said:

I quite like cap and ball guns. I was first drawn to them because they were inexpensive but I've gone down the rabbit hole and

here I am!

Thanks for the advice.

Ya sure....Then you get another and another....Next thing you 10 pair then 20, 30, 40 pairs....So much for inexpensive...Hey, it's only money and darn fun to shoot...

Texas Lizard

Still learning to shoot them, but having fun....Lost count on what I have....

while the original/copies of Henrys rate A in the cool catagory,, .. give a '73 a look, the side plates are much easier to remove and the tang separates making cleaning soooo much easier than a Henry or a '66. They all operate the same internally and can be smoothed and tuned, but you'll find that the '73's rule the game pretty much. 

hats? we don'  need no stinking hats.! well,most catagories that is. 

Good leather and guns that run are the 2 most important, the rest is icing.

imho you'd be better at 1st to shoot duelist, that gives you a free hand to rotate the cylinder if assist is needed, clear a cap, etc. 

welcome to a real fun shooting sport !

Goodwill often has hats, collarless shirts etc for low bucks. Go to some matches and keep watching JediTV. I just ordered a replacement for my beloved sombrero, $125 delivered... great price for style

Welcome

Imis

8 hours ago, Wild Wes Babcock said:

Match tomorrow, Sept 1 at Cavalier Cowboys in Hanover County, VA.  ~20 miles northwest of Richmond, VA. See cavaliercowboys.org.  

16 hours ago, Wild Wes Babcock said:

Howdy yall. I've been looking into joining SASS (got Jedi TV to blame for that) but I got a few questions about the equipment. Are cap and ball revolvers fair game for the gunfighter category or am I better off converting to cartridges? As for cartridges, is 38 long colt an approved cartridge?

And lastly but not least, do you need to drop some cash for a hat and accoutrements or will cheaper items do until I get more serious? The uberti Henry and cz coach gun are gonna set me back some $ so if i can save on the hat and clothing that would be ideal. I dont, however, want to buy garbage if its going to fall apart within months.

Sorry if this is the wrong section for my questions!

In order:  Yes, but unless they're tuned, "fair game" will entail getting beat like drum!  Do a search here to find out what mods work.

Depends on your skills and that of your competitors.

Eminently so.

Hats are NOT required.  As for accouterments, buy once, cry once.  While clothing is not optional, what you spend is.  Many articles of modern clothing is fine as is, and/or slightly modified to appear correct to the cowboy or "Edwardian" era.

Lastly, give Frontiersman a good hard look.  Gunfighter is a TV cowboy affectation!  :P  'Sides you'll be competing with folks sufferin the equipment harrdships as yourself!  (Except for those "cheats" that use Ruger ROAs)!  :P:ph34r:

First of all, welcome to our game.  Before spending a dollar on equipment, try stuff out.  We've all gone through this.  Bought expensive stuff that didn't fit our shooting style, physic, etc. Everybody has a preference for different stuff, just... BECAUSE we are all individuals.  If you are going to spend money on clothes, my most expensive purchase would be a really comfortable pair of boots.  They've come a long way.  For the rest of your outfit, shop swap meets, garage sales, second hand stores, or just make your own stuff.  You can cut collars off of dress shirts to start.  I even found a Brand New with Tag Wah Maker vest at a second hand store  for $2 once.  I would not start shooting C & B and gunfighter.  get you feet under you first preferably with borrowed stuff, then decide what category you want to shoot.  Then buy accordingly.

8 minutes ago, Wild Wes Babcock said:

Thank you all for the replies. I miss typed and meant winchester earlier! Got my eye on uberti's 1866 yellow boy.

I'm gonna follow yalls advice and meet some people and see what works for me before getting anything.

Look hard at Rugers;)

OLG

8 minutes ago, Wild Wes Babcock said:

Thank you all for the replies. I miss typed and meant winchester earlier! Got my eye on uberti's 1866 yellow boy.

I'm gonna follow yalls advice and meet some people and see what works for me before getting anything.

As most have said go to a match and talk to lots of folks before you start spending money.

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Randy

5a2ef12c5e438_RandySaintEagle-PosseMember.JPG.975aa5d9bfcb1cc0ef0134b8254f0d4a.JPG.26a11d8dbb0c5e22f6c1c8f42dafc87c.JPG

Archived