SASS Wire Forum

Do You Practice With Indoor Bullets?

Major Pain

I'm curious to know if any of you practice with X-Ring rubber bullets. Speer Plastic Bullets, Wax Bullets in your, "man cave, garage, back yard etc? If so, which do you use and why? Certainly many of the Cowboy Fast Draw Association  practice at home with wax bullets. Each come in several calibers and there are a number of youtube videos about their use.

So, what comments do you have in response to the questions in my post?

Thanks a heap!

I've seen youtube videos of shooters using the cylindrical foam earplugs stuffed into .45C casings with only the primer for propellent.  You have to drill out the flash hole in the primer pocket slightly oversized to prevent the primers from backing out on ignition.  I plan on trying this as soon as it cools off a little, as it's too damn hot in my garage right now to shoot in there.

I can tell you from experience that the CFD 45 Colt wax bullets propelled by 209 a primer will penetrate 3/8" plywood.  What I used as a backstop was a tight weave throw rug in front of 3/8" sheet of plywood.  No ricochets.  I don't know why but one hit my insulated garage door which left a deep dent on the interior & a slight dimple on the outside.

Not really practice but I do fire the wax bullets in the man cave. They're 38sp with 209 shotshell primers. Just put the primer in and push in a wax slug and youre ready. I play darts with mine. I try not to do it too much cause point of aim is different than with the lead loads. Yep, they will sometimes pass through 1/2" drywall. Just gotta know where to hang the picture of Mae West when you get done.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a post concerning the .38 laser bullets and targets available and this would be my hy-tek way to go, provided one can afford these newer toys.  Many versions will include timing, scoring, misses, etc, etc.  From my research it would seem that shotgun versions, using your own gun would be even more pricey! 

Archived