SASS Wire Forum

A Different Membership Topic

John Hangman Ruth

3 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

So what? There's nothing stopping you from joining now.  Am I missing something? Seems like you are an authority on all things SASS but can't bring yourself to send in the membership. 

Yul-Like I said......it's a personal thing. Just drop it, PLZ :excl:

" Seems like you are an authority on all things SASS" Why would you even say such a thing?:(

OLG

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Yul-Like I said......it's a personal thing. Just drop it, PLZ :excl:

" Seems like you are an authority on all things SASS" Why would you even say such a thing?:(

OLG

Well because you seem to have an opinion on SASS issues involving membership, EOT locations and lots of other things that come up and as a guest it's hard for some folks to give much credence to your input if you won't even become a member. 

When our membership dues go towards supporting the Wire Forums and other things it rankles some that you will never join. It's kinda like the folks down the street that dump their garbage on my trash cans that I haul down to the street every Tuesday night and then Wednesday morning their fricking trash is over flowing in the street. I found one of their envelopes in the trash and went and paid them a visit and they were insulted that I had the gall to confront them about dumping their trash in my trash can that I pay $125.00 a month for. Happened again last week so yeah you and others on the forum constantly as a guest kinda chaps my ass.

So rejoin! Easy

Btw, I was a member before you... still am.

And Phantom, so you've never been irresponsible and drove over the speed limit?

Anyone on here NEVER speed? I doubt it.

Maybe there is something to having EoT at other venues.

Say, every other year at some of the bigger venues and hopefully closer to larger population centers.

Yes, I know there are complications with state laws here and there (yes, California is one of them.)

So EoT is held in CA and you don't wish to attend, it will come to a closer, more amenable location sooner or later.

There are many large matches around the country held at great venues... use em for more than just one big match a year.

If EoT moved around, SASS could still take a large cut (provided they produce it) and folks that maybe have never been, say from the Northeast maybe, could attend easier. Maybe???

9 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You'll get over it-^_^

I'll buy you a beverage, the next time we meet.......;)

OLG

Doubtful, you'll keep posting because they let you, my neighbors going to get his trash dumped back on his front porch tomorrow morning.;)

5 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You'll get over it-^_^

I'll buy you a beverage, the next time we meet.......;)

OLG

I'd bet just maybe the root of the issue is some hurt feelings? Just guessin.

Yer biz. Just rejoin already

28 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

So rejoin! Easy

Btw, I was a member before you... still am.

And Phantom, so you've never been irresponsible and drove over the speed limit?

Ahhhh...the little details in the written word.

Never said it was irresponsible to speed.

;)

5 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Doubtful, you'll keep posting because they let you, my neighbors going to get his trashed dumped back on his front porch tomorrow morning.;):P

Wow, I thought I was the only one that did such things. I dumped a guys trash in his front yard when he thought it was ok to use my dumpster on a job site.

He showed up at my job site to complain and wondered how I knew it was him. Told him he was confessing by showing up at the location he dumped the trash, how else would he have known? Then, I showed him the pizza box with his name and phone number.  

8 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Ahhhh...the little details in the written word.

Never said it was irresponsible to speed.

;)

Shaved it pretty close though. So what's the line not to cross? 75? 84? 90?

I'm not advocating 91 either, I'm just saying we have all sped at one time or another.

Shame on you Capt Bill! Speeder! :P

7 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Shaved it pretty close though. So what's the line not to cross? 75? 84? 90?

I'm not advocating 91 either, I'm just saying we have all sped at one time or another.

Shame on you Capt Bill! Speeder! :P

I’ve driven much, much faster than 91. Heck I’m just shifting into third gear at 75.

52 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Never do.   The law is just that to me.  (and my shooting proves that I never do anything fast.)  55 yrs driving and still never had a ticket or been stopped. 

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

And here's that mentality I was referring too.

Honestly, it's sad.

Know anyone that died because of a speeder? And no, I'm not talking about 5 over.

Yes, I have known people who have died from speed related accidents. I also have known people that have died from accidents with speeds well under the speed limit. I know people that have died from smoking. And on and on and on....

I know people that have been shot, some by themselves! What's your point? That I have a mentality that thinks speed is cool? Yes, I do. I love racing.

And if I ever attain a high speed, I do my best to ensure I'm not endangering anyone else. Above OR below the speed limit.

Again, is speed cool? Dang right it is. Be responsible for what you do, that's all.

11 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Never do.   The law is just that to me.  (and my shooting proves that I never do anything fast.)  55 yrs driving and still never had a ticket or been stopped. 

Congrats! You are rare indeed.

Never got over the speed limit? Never?

5 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Yes, I have known people who have died from speed related accidents. I also have known people that have died from accidents with speeds well under the speed limit. I know people that have died from smoking. And on and on and on....

I know people that have been shot, some by themselves! What's your point? That I have a mentality that thinks speed is cool? Yes, I do. I love racing.

And if I ever attain a high speed, I do my best to ensure I'm not endangering anyone else. Above OR below the speed limit.

Again, is speed cool? Dang right it is. Be responsible for what you do, that's all.

It's in my blood.  My grandfather Burt was one of the first NASCAR drivers.  I grew up around souped up muscle cars, Porsches, Vettes you name it.  He started out as a moonshiner, then had nothing to do with his stable of fast cars when they legalized liquor, so he became an owner/driver.  On that side of the family most were hard nosed, hard living Mississippi rednecks.  Laws were negotiable as evidenced by the fact that most of the Long Beach, Gulfport and Biloxi Police departments were on his payroll. 

It got even more interesting once he decided to start making book and running a string of illegal gambling halls.  I learned to drive at 11 and how to cheat at cards even earlier. 

11 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Several years ago was pulled over for 84 in 70..... Texas Trooper conducted his business through the passenger window which happened to be my wife's that day! Heck with the ticket, her looks were enough for me! I think he enjoyed the glare she was shootin towards me:blush:

2 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

Several years ago was pulled over for 84 in 70..... Texas Trooper conducted his business through the passenger window which happened to be my wife's that day! Heck with the ticket, her looks were enough for me! I think he enjoyed the glare she was shootin towards me:blush:

Heck I don't think you would even be pulled over for that in the Atlanta area.  I passed a DeKalb county cop on the way home.  I was doing 58 in the 45, never occurred to me to be worried he would pull me over. 

Its deja vu all over again. Many years ago everyone outside of California was bitching about the location for EOT. Move it east, put it mid-west etc. So they moved it and the attendance for shooters and spectators dropped significantly!

It isn't location its a drop in shooters and the will to travel.

And I don't know what this has to do with it but I have broken the speed limit, turned without using a signal, snuck into the drags and movies. Take me now I am truly evil.

Ike

9 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Its deja vu all over again. Many years ago everyone outside of California was bitching about the location for EOT. Move it east, put it mid-west etc. So they moved it and the attendance for shooters and spectators dropped significantly!

It isn't location its a drop in shooters and the will to travel.

And I don't know what this has to do with it but I have broken the speed limit, turned without using a signal, snuck into the drags and movies. Take me now I am truly evil.

Ike

And you have carbide 44-40 dies, scoundrel.

1 hour ago, Assassin said:

Wow, I thought I was the only one that did such things. I dumped a guys trash in his front yard when he thought it was ok to use my dumpster on a job site.

He showed up at my job site to complain and wondered how I knew it was him. Told him he was confessing by showing up at the location he dumped the trash, how else would he have known? Then, I showed him the pizza box with his name and phone number.  

This guy and his family are illegal aliens and he runs a cash only landscaping and tree service. I wanted him to do some work for once because he keeps throwing a little bag with his business card and some rocks in it in my driveway. Kind of a Mexican house warming gift I guess,  anyway when he showed up to do the work I wanted copies of his license and insurance. He showed them to me but would not let me make copies. They both had non Hispanic names on them so I'm pretty sure he was using stolen ID. I didn't let him work for me. The letter that I found was in his real Hispanic name.

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Let's say I drive into Cali with a loaded handgun in my glove box.  Perfectly legal here in Georgia, no permit needed.  What's the State Trooper who finds that gun going to do?

Let's say I stick my revolvers in socks and put them on the back seat to drive from the hotel to the range.  Am I good?

If you are caught in CA with a loaded (or unloaded) handgun in your glove box, you will likely be arrested, and taken into custody for felony possession of an unlawfully  concealed weapon. 

Even with a CCW permit, carrying a firearm concealed in a glove box or center console is specifically prohibited.  Reason:  When an officer asks to see your registration, and you reach across to get it from the glove box, she doesn't want to have to kill you for pulling out a gun sitting on top of the documents, and she also doesn't want life threatening surprises from people she stops for probable cause.   

If you have a CA CCW license, you can legally carry your CCW-listed revolvers on the  back seat, wrapped in a sock.   You may not carry them "uncased" and visible from outside the car (unconcealed).  Without a CA CCW license, all firearms must be transported in locked cases, not immediately accessible to the driver, and specifically not in the glove box or center console.   

An exception to the locked box law would be if you were driving a Motor home, which arguably is your place of residence.   Inside your home, including a tent or camper,  different and less restrictive laws apply, for example, no CCW license is required.  

IMHO, common sense suggests that these laws might best be followed anywhere, just as good judgment, unless you are OK with risking stolen guns or  being accidentally shot by a frightened or confused officer.   

13 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

If you are caught in CA with a loaded (or unloaded) handgun in your glove box, you will likely be arrested, and taken into custody for felony possession of an unlawfully  concealed weapon. 

Even with a CCW permit, carrying a firearm concealed in a glove box or center console is specifically prohibited.  Reason:  When an officer asks to see your registration, and you reach across to get it from the glove box, she doesn't want to have to kill you for pulling out a gun sitting on top of the documents, and she also doesn't want life threatening surprises from people she stops for probable cause.   

If you have a CA CCW license, you can legally carry your CCW-listed revolvers on the  back seat, wrapped in a sock.   You may not carry them "uncased" and visible from outside the car (unconcealed).  Without a CA CCW license, all firearms must be transported in locked cases, not immediately accessible to the driver, and specifically not in the glove box or center console.   

IMHO, common sense suggests that these laws might best be followed anywhere, just as good judgment, unless you are OK with risking stolen guns or  being accidentally shot by a frightened or confused officer.   

LOL you’re quoting me and attributing it to OLG.

Thanks for your comments on ‘common sense.’

Here in Georgia we don’t roll that way. I can have my holstered, loaded gun anywhere in my car I want it, no need to ask the State ‘pretty please’ and no need for a CCW.

Somehow we manage to live with the danger of being shot by frightened confused cops. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Somehow we manage to live with the danger of being shot by frightened confused cops. 

If you ever have a chance to watch police vehicle stop training videos, you might change your tune.   To a cop, particularly at night, a vehicle stop is no small thing, and there are a lot of commemorative plaques on police station walls around the country to show why.   It's damn dangerous work.    So you might  think about making it easier on them whenever you can.   They want to see their families again too.  

DDD, if you are going to cite applicable law, please be accurate.

1)  Carrying a firearm in consoles and glove compartments are prohibited ONLY because those locations are specifically not considered lockboxes.  You MAY carry a firearm in either location with a CCW.

2) Only handguns and rifles that fall into the assault weapon category must be carried in a suitable locked box.  Standard hunting/sports rifles/shotguns may be carried in other manners that are not secured by a lock.

JJ

Archived