SASS Wire Forum

A Different Membership Topic

John Hangman Ruth

Not to hijack the thread, but I'll give you another example.  I was driving to a match in Alabama back in January.  A Georgia State Trooper zapped me at 91 in the 70 and pulled me over.  When he got to the question about 'do you have any guns' I said yes.  He replied "Where is it?"  I laughed and said 'It?'  "There are four in the trunk, one under my seat and one in the console."  He smiled and came back with a ticket for 84 in the 70.

Is that how a typical California State Trooper would have reacted?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

CVR doesn’t have near the camping space that Founders Ranch does and that was my point. The central coast is great but how many non Californians will show up? Like it or not EOT is going to take place in New Mexico SASS, The Wild Bunch have all made big investments in facilities to be there. California’s gun laws and perceived gun laws will keep many competitors from out of state home because the risk or perceived risk is just to great.

I think it's more of this. Some people would rather choose to be ignorant or lazy than to challenge their preconceived notions. When I was a kid, I assumed everyone in the south was a racist descendant of slave owners. Then I was stationed in the south and got to see many different places and people. Boy was I wrong. Mark Twain did say travel is the death of prejudice and he was certainly right in my case. Maybe some folks that are so afraid of the big bad California liberals might want to come by sometime and see that it ain't as bad as folks think. And you can't beat the weather anywhere else. I know. i have been there. 

17 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Let's say I drive into Cali with a loaded handgun in my glove box.  Perfectly legal here in Georgia, no permit needed.  What's the State Trooper who finds that gun going to do?

Let's say I stick my revolvers in socks and put them on the back seat to drive from the hotel to the range.  Am I good?

Edited to add:'

Some of you that live in restrictive states can pooh pooh other's concerns, but those of us from states like say, Georgia, aren't used to those type rules.  It's pretty easy to forget that what we take for granted at home doesn't apply in Cali.

Have no idea what a 'State Trooper' will do-We don't hav'em here.^_^

You are expected to know the laws of the state you are pass'n through-Just like know'n the speed limits. ;)

OLG

1 minute ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I think it's more of this. Some people would rather choose to be ignorant or lazy than to challenge their preconceived notions. When I was a kid, I assumed everyone in the south was a racist descendant of slave owners. Then I was stationed in the south and got to see many different places and people. Boy was I wrong. Mark Twain did say travel is the death of prejudice and he was certainly right in my case. Maybe some folks that are so afraid of the big bad California liberals might want to come by sometime and see that it ain't as bad as folks think. And you can't beat the weather anywhere else. I know. i have been there. 

I'm not afraid, but I am ignorant of the complexities of Cali gun laws.  For that reason I stick to states where the 2nd amendment is a real thing. 

1 minute ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I'm not afraid, but I am ignorant of the complexities of Cali gun laws.  For that reason I stick to states where the 2nd amendment is a real thing. 

2nd amendment isn't a real thing here? Well dang. I better do something about the guns I own then yeah? And so should the rest of the state, you know, generally the 3rd most gun sales in the country. Gotta let those folks know that the 2nd amendment has expired and they need to get rid of those guns

Just now, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

2nd amendment isn't a real thing here? Well dang. I better do something about the guns I own then yeah? And so should the rest of the state, you know, generally the 3rd most gun sales in the country. Gotta let those folks know that the 2nd amendment has expired and they need to get rid of those guns

How about you run down to the LGS and buy a couple of AR's with 30 round mags and bring them home today?  

Maybe walk into the local Sheriff's office, get fingerprinted, get a background check, pay $70 and go home with a CCW good in 33 states?

How about open carry with no permit, want to try that in LA?

Drive over to Nevada and buy some ammo to bring back?

Sorry, Cali is nice, we have great pards there, I have personal friends there, but if you're arguing it's gun friendly then I disagree.

Just now, Captain Bill Burt said:

How about you run down to the LGS and buy a couple of AR's with 30 round mags and bring them home today?  

Maybe walk into the local Sheriff's office, get fingerprinted, get a background check, pay $70 and go home with a CCW good in 33 states?

How about open carry with no permit, want to try that in LA?

Drive over to Nevada and buy some ammo to bring back?

Sorry, Cali is nice, we have great pards there, I have personal friends there, but if you're arguing it's gun friendly then I disagree.

Pass on the AR. Doesn't hold any appeal to me, but the local stores carry the ones that are still legal.

Depends on the county which Sheriff's office you go to.

I am pretty sure LA isn't the only city in the country that has restrictions on inner city carry. Heck, almost every single old west town had restrictions within city limits. Oh and the entirety of California isn't LA. It's a pretty big state out here.

I never said California was particularly gun friendly, but it isn't as anti gun as many that have never set foot here would believe, and certainly not as bad as quite a few other states. The worst thing I ever have to deal with is a 10 day wait between purchase and pickup. I don't particularly like it, but if that's the worst there is, then I can tolerate it.

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

WR...

But neither bring the numbers that So Cal brought ... It's all about demographics;)

Oh, and money.

It's the huge local spectator population pool that makes So Cal so desirable, both as a new shooter recruitment source, and the fact that the World Championship CAS deserves to have a larger audience watching the shooters perform. 

It is a sport, with an athletic aspect.  When 2/3 of the shooters are short of breath to varying degrees, because of altitude, they simply cannot medically perform at their best. 

I like the idea of rotating different venues.  That will maximize recruitment, and give more SASS members an opportunity, in at least some years, to participate, based on medical and travel considerations.  

10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If the guns are unloaded, in a locked case-You're GTG. ;)

OLG

See, I don't even have any locks and I don't transport my guns in cases. So, now I'm on the side of the California highway with four guns, not cased or locked.  Time for a free ride from CHP?

No thanks.  I could buy a bigger car to accommodate cases, then buy the cases, then buy the locks.  Or I could just not go to California.

To get back on topic.  I believe that California gun laws would impact attendance at EOT if it were moved back there.  Maybe a little, maybe a lot, but I think it would matter.

1 hour ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Do you currently attend either of them or plan to?

Becoming a SASS member may be the deal breaker for OLG participating in EOT or any other SASS match state or higher. 

39 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Not to hijack the thread, but I'll give you another example.  I was driving to a match in Alabama back in January.  A Georgia State Trooper zapped me at 91 in the 70 and pulled me over.  When he got to the question about 'do you have any guns' I said yes.  He replied "Where is it?"  I laughed and said 'It?'  "There are four in the trunk, one under my seat and one in the console."  He smiled and came back with a ticket for 84 in the 70.

Is that how a typical California State Trooper would have reacted?

91 in a 70...come on! That's irresponsible.

Better know your Concealed Carry laws when traveling...or do you not carry in other states...or do you not care about them as you obviously don't give a damn about speed limits.

Wow...

Phantom (who has seen tragic accidents caused by excessive speeding).

13 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

91 in a 70...come on! That's irresponsible.

Better know your Concealed Carry laws when traveling...or do you not carry in other states...or do you not care about them as you obviously don't give a damn about speed limits.

Wow...

Phantom (who has seen tragic accidents caused by excessive speeding).

Phantom who has been involved in a tragic accident?

I didn't think it was irresponsible and neither did the trooper, obviously since he wrote it down to a speed where I didn't even get points.  Highway designed for speeds in excess of 100, car designed for speeds up to 180, zero traffic, clear weather, driver with 40+ years of experience during which he's had a single fender bender.  Not irresponsible at all.  To be fair, I was in a hurry and forgot to set my cruise on 84.  That's usually my self imposed limit.  But 

I do know the CCW laws in all states I travel too.  Most are not that different from Georgia.

Back to the OP topic.  I plan to go to EOT one day, if it's not in a gun grabber state.  As others have said I would like to see more marketing by SASS.  I have never seen a SASS ad.

21 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Becoming a SASS member may be the deal breaker for OLG participating in EOT or any other SASS match state or higher. 

NM, EOT will never happen because of costs, and my CHF issues with the altitude.

OLG

1 minute ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Phantom who has been involved in a tragic accident?

I didn't think it was irresponsible and neither did the trooper, obviously since he wrote it down to a speed where I didn't even get points.  Highway designed for speeds in excess of 100, car designed for speeds up to 180, zero traffic, clear weather, driver with 40+ years of experience during which he's had a single fender bender.  Not irresponsible at all.  To be fair, I was in a hurry and forgot to set my cruise on 84.  That's usually my self imposed limit.  But 

I do know the CCW laws in all states I travel too.  Most are not that different from Georgia.

Back to the OP topic.  I plan to go to EOT one day, if it's not in a gun grabber state.  As others have said I would like to see more marketing by SASS.  I have never seen a SASS ad.

Who has seen the results...on a couple of occasions.

It is irresponsible!

Justify your lack of concern for others on the road any way you want. I HATE folks that think they can handle high speeds on a public street. Wanna race?! Go to the track...I'll be glad to bring along a car that can not only handle the speeds, but one that has the breaks and suspension to match...and no other cars going in different directions...nor folks expecting others to abide by reasonable speeds...nor any chance of peds/bikers/etc.

I've been in these kind of discussions before with Public Street Racer types...they'll never admit to being in the wrong...they just think it's cool...like to brag about taking their street cars to high speeds...everyone else be damned!!!

Oy!

Phantom

2 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Let me know when, I'll drive; give Phantom some piece of mind...

So you think it's cool to drive 91 in a 70 zone????

Read my previous post if you do.

Phantom

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

NM, EOT will never happen because of costs, and my CHF issues with the altitude.

OLG

So that's what's keeping you from joining SASS?

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Let's say I drive into Cali with a loaded handgun in my glove box.  Perfectly legal here in Georgia, no permit needed.  What's the State Trooper who finds that gun going to do?

Let's say I stick my revolvers in socks and put them on the back seat to drive from the hotel to the range.  Am I good?

Edited to add:'

Some of you that live in restrictive states can pooh pooh other's concerns, but those of us from states like say, Georgia, aren't used to those type rules.  It's pretty easy to forget that what we take for granted at home doesn't apply in Cali.

Come on Bill, that is a Lame example that would apply to most states. If you don't have a CCW that's good in the state, then most places would nail you. That is not just here in Ca., but in most states. I'm happy for you down in Ga., that you can do anything you want legally. After the Law changes, and it will, you can still do anything that want until you get caught. That is the same here in Ca. too. I haven't heard of many folks getting their doors kicked in and the Storm Troopers racing in and dragging folks away..... at least not without good cause. Don't let your Southern Roots get you to thinking that everyone in Ca. is a Nut Case. We do have plenty of them out here, but I've been to Ga... and there are few of them there too, in fact, they are loose just about every where now days. This is going sideways, sorry. 

Snakebite

6 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

So you think it's cool to drive 91 in a 70 zone????

Read my previous post if you do.

Phantom

I did NOT say cool, or even hint at it.

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That's personal:excl:

FWIW: Ima and I do give to the Scholarship Foundation every year.

OLG

So do I but I've taken the additional step many years ago to join up. Maybe your opinions on all things SASS would mean a lot more to a lot of people if there was a number there instead of guest, just saying.

3 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

So do I but I've taken the additional step many years ago to join up. Maybe your opinions on all things SASS would mean a lot more to a lot of people if there was a number there instead of guest, just saying.

He was a member...

Doesn't that count for something? 

Phantom

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

He was a member...

Doesn't that count for something? 

Phantom

Lots of folks were members at one time but aren't anymore and that seems to be a lot of the problem people are concerned about.

12 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Who has seen the results...on a couple of occasions.

It is irresponsible!

Justify your lack of concern for others on the road any way you want. I HATE folks that think they can handle high speeds on a public street. Wanna race?! Go to the track...I'll be glad to bring along a car that can not only handle the speeds, but one that has the breaks and suspension to match...and no other cars going in different directions...nor folks expecting others to abide by reasonable speeds...nor any chance of peds/bikers/etc.

I've been in these kind of discussions before with Public Street Racer types...they'll never admit to being in the wrong...they just think it's cool...like to brag about taking their street cars to high speeds...everyone else be damned!!!

Oy!

Phantom

Let me start by saying I don't really care what you think about how I drive.  I like to drive fast.  When conditions permit I drive however fast I want to.  If I get a ticket I thank the officer and pay it.  Speeding and street racing are two very different things, conflating them as you've done is a distortion of what I said. 

That's all I have to say about that.  Back to the OP topic.

22 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Come on Bill, that is a Lame example that would apply to most states. If you don't have a CCW that's good in the state, then most places would nail you. That is not just here in Ca., but in most states. I'm happy for you down in Ga., that you can do anything you want legally. After the Law changes, and it will, you can still do anything that want until you get caught. That is the same here in Ca. too. I haven't heard of many folks getting their doors kicked in and the Storm Troopers racing in and dragging folks away..... at least not without good cause. Don't let your Southern Roots get you to thinking that everyone in Ca. is a Nut Case. We do have plenty of them out here, but I've been to Ga... and there are few of them there too, in fact, they are loose just about every where now days. This is going sideways, sorry. 

Snakebite

Hi Snakebite,

To me it's not really lame, though I understand and accept your position.  I definitely don't think everyone in Cali is a nut!  I've read enough Victor Davis Hanson to have some idea what's going on in your state and the split between the coastal 'elites' and everyone else.  I would love to shoot at Norco, but if I do it will probably be with borrowed guns from a local.

Back to the OP.  We've seen a decline in Georgia since I started back in 2011.  It's hard to say if that's a result of changes in who is running the local matches, or if it's a reflection of a nationwide trend.

I found out about SASS in Guns and Ammo.  Pure luck.  That was back in 2010.  Since then I've never heard SASS mentioned or advertised outside of the CC or my circle of SASS friends/acquaintances. 

Do we know if they advertise in any way?

18 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Let me start by saying I don't really care what you think about how I drive.  I like to drive fast.  When conditions permit I drive however fast I want to.  If I get a ticket I thank the officer and pay it.  Speeding and street racing are two very different things, conflating them as you've done is a distortion of what I said. 

That's all I have to say about that.  Back to the OP topic.

Same mentality. 

And your excessive speeds are irresponsible. I hope you don't kill anyone...other than yourself.

Cheers!

Phantom

7 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Same mentality. 

And your excessive speeds are irresponsible. I hope you don't kill anyone...other than yourself.

Cheers!

Phantom

Wow, so you hope I kill myself.  I'm not particularly fond of you, but I don't hope for your death.    On that note I think I'm done with this thread.

11 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Wow, so you hope I kill myself.  I'm not particularly fond of you, but I don't hope for your death.    On that note I think I'm done with this thread.

That's not what I said.

I don't want you or anyone else to die.

The point was that if you die because of your actions...well...so be it. But to kill someone else because of your actions...I have a problem with that.

Phantom

36 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

was a member long before you ;).......My certificate was signed in '03, by Boyd Davis when he was prez.

My SASS # was 49458.

Bojack of the Cajon Cowboys handed Ima(SASS#50012)and I our RO1 and then my RO2 pins........

OLG

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

was a member long before you ;).......My certificate was signed in '03, by Boyd Davis when he was prez.

My SASS # was 49458.

Bojack of the Cajon Cowboys handed Ima(SASS#50012)and I our RO1 and then my RO2 pins........

OLG

Yep - joined right before me...and Bojack was THE MAN!!!!!!

Phantom

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

My SASS # was 49458.

OLG

So what? There's nothing stopping you from joining now.  Am I missing something? Seems like you are an authority on all things SASS but can't bring yourself to send in the membership. 

Archived