SASS Wire Forum

heritage rough rider observation

Trigger Mike

I bought a Heritage rough rider 22 just because it was on sale and let my older son use it for snakes while on the mower.  He killed a baby rather with it.  after the summer was over last year I put it back in the box and put it in my closet that has a dehumidifier in the next room.  I took it out to see if I wanted to give it to my youngest for his 10th birthday and noticed rust on the end of the barrel, along the middle of the barrel, a touch on the front sight and pits in the cylinder where it rested in its original box.  Seeing that I have kept other firearms there with no problems it makes me wonder if the finish Heritage puts on their firearms is lower quality.  

as for the 10 year old , I had bought him a Bearcat a few years ago but never given it to him yet so I gave it to him but keep it in a safe until he needs it.

When I lived in North Carolina I stored all my guns in safes. My big safe had a Golden Rod and also desiccant bags to keep humidity down and the temp above dew point. My small handgun safe just had desiccant packs in it. 

I got the desiccant packs at Bass Pro. 

Note: do not recharge most desiccant packs in your wife’s oven. The bags are usually weaved plastic mesh that only appear to be cotton or burlap. They may melt at 250 degrees and cause you heartache and perpetual distress for up to a year...

On 8/30/2019 at 6:47 PM, Trigger Mike said:

My other guns have the rods and oiled, just odd that the heritage would rust like that so fast .  Tells me the Ruger is a better way to go 

You get what you pay for!  The 1st gun I owned & still own a late 70's Remington 1100 with deep blued barrel had a couple of rust spots under the ventilated rib after 30 years light use.  This happened in arid Kalifornia.  I always cleaned & oiled it after each use.  It rusted where you can't wipe oil without using a Q-tip or spray applicator.  A little buffing with steel wool removed the rust & a Q-tip applied oil under the rib.

Archived