SASS Wire Forum

Flaw

Subdeacon Joe

There are people that ARE that stupid. I was at a gun shop in Oregon that had gunsmith services. A guy came in insisting that his ejection problem must be remedied. His custom Cerakote job was being damaged. The deflector had brass dinks on it. :blink:

One of the guys I worked with showed me his wife’s AR and wanted to know what I thought was wrong with the ejection. Same thing. Brass dinks...

So is this a design defect?

I have several semi-automatic firearms - rifles, pistols and shotguns - and a few fully automatic firearms.

None of them have this thing at the back of the ejection port - the purpose of which, I presume, is to keep the ejected brass from hitting the shooter?

Is this common to other firearms, or strictly an AR thing?

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

So is this a design defect?

I have several semi-automatic firearms - rifles, pistols and shotguns - and a few fully automatic firearms.

None of them have this thing at the back of the ejection port - the purpose of which, I presume, is to keep the ejected brass from hitting the shooter?

Is this common to other firearms, or strictly an AR thing?

The early XM16E1 and M16A1 rifles didn't have that protrusion on the upper receiver, and left-handed shooters often complained about ejected brass hitting them in the face. It was added to uppers starting with the M16A2 back in 1982.

47 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The early XM16E1 and M16A1 rifles didn't have that protrusion on the upper receiver, and left-handed shooters often complained about ejected brass hitting them in the face. It was added to uppers starting with the M16A2 back in 1982.

IIRC-The 'forward-assist' was also added at that time.

OLG

The forward assist was added back in the early 1960s. The Army wanted it, but the Air Force didn't. As a result the AF rifles lacked the forward assist while those issued to Army and Marine units had them. When your XM16E1 jammed up in the sweltering heat of Vietnam, smacking the forward assist and jamming things even tighter was always a solid plan. :rolleyes:

Having hot brass fly down your blouse (shirt in army talk) was a problem.  So, they put the deflector on the rifle.  Adding the bullet assist was some Generals idea of how to save ammo me thinks.  It did nothing but create a difficult jam to clear.  However, s sharp rap of the butt on a hard surface generally cleared the problem up.  It is oft times difficult to think of that or find a hard object in the jungle however. :-( We got some of the Air Force's old ones - green colored slab sides.  They were taken back and replaced to Mattel  guns later on.

STL  Suomi

On 8/29/2019 at 8:16 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Probably is, but it still wouldn't surprise me if some folks really are that stupid.

I work at an indoor shooting range, some people ARE that stupid.

Irish Tom

14 hours ago, Irish Tom said:

I work at an indoor shooting range, some people ARE that stupid.

Irish Tom

And it gets worse. 

Youtube is full of clips of just the ones caught on video.  My favorite is the businessman shooting a revolver with a laser sight.  He puts his hand in front of the muzzle to make sure the laser is on and ends up shooting himself in the hand.

On 8/30/2019 at 8:02 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That ridge was added to keep left handed shooters from get'n hit with hot brass.

OLG

I is one & the M16's I shot in the Army, 1969-1971, had one uncomfortable ergonomic problem for me.  Had to fasten the top button of the fatigue shirt when firing.   Otherwise I'd get burned.  The only drawback to the brass deflector is some AR's are so overgased that they dent brass.  Some of the cases become scrap when the dent is in the shoulder.  I installed an ADIGS gas key on the bolt carrier of my Colt Sporter A2 HBAR.  On my home built lower, which has an ECHO II trigger I replaced the buffer weights with 3 tungsten weights.  The ECHO II requires the weights to reduce the cyclic rate to prevent malfunctions in the double tap (binary) mode.  The side benefit is it doesn't dent brass.

P.S. UniqueTek sells elastomeric covers called "deflector brakes" that protect the finish & eliminates the case dents. 

Archived