SASS Wire Forum

22 pistol showdown

Dirty Dan Dawkins

I "need" a semi-auto 22 semi auto. Something of a woods gun.

Just to keep it simple......Ruger vs Browning in the $3-500 price point, blued or stainless.

I had a Mark III Gvt Target years ago, and it ended up sold off to fund other things.....

So, how 'bout it fellas? What should I get?

Shot both, like both, personally prefer the Ruger, but I'm slowly getting the the point where I have at least 1 of every type of gun Ruger makes, so maybe I'm a Ruger guy...

I'm a Ruger guy, but I agree to try both and get the one you like best

AG

I have both but prefer the Ruger.  The Browning Target is a great gun, but is harder to clean and gets dirty faster.  You know the Ruger, they just work       GW

Why be like everyone else?  I regret selling my old High Standard Sport King while in college.  You can find them on Gunbroker at your price point.  Beautifully accurate.

I like the Ruger Mark I I now have, but miss that HS.

Don’t limit yourself - check out the S&W Victory 

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/sw22-victory

I bought one and haven’t shot my Mark 1 or 3 since. 

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Why be like everyone else?  I regret selling my old High Standard Sport King while in college.  You can find them on Gunbroker at your price point.  Beautifully accurate.

I like the Ruger Mark I I now have, but miss that HS.

You know I shot one of those high standards years ago. Are they still in business? If not, how's parts?

HS long gone.  Others have tried to reintroduce with mixed results.    Still great guns but getting pricey for nice ones.   GW

Older Browning Buckmark Standard or Target model if you can find one.

Tack drivers. Love mine.

cq5dam.web.500.500.jpeg

cq5dam.web.500.500(2).jpeg

1 hour ago, G W Wade said:

HS long gone.  Others have tried to reintroduce with mixed results.    Still great guns but getting pricey for nice ones.   GW

High Standard closed its doors.  But a fair amount of their old target .22 are floating around because of the old bullseye shooters getting out of the game.  You'll see them in the $700-$800 range but sometimes you'll get lucky.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Is there a range where you can rent guns? That would be the way to go.

1 hour ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Good idear....

A little story or stories. Quick. 

I thought I wanted a Ruger SR 22. They felt good in my hand.  I rented one. Didn’t like it. 

I have a serious problem with my right wrist. I was going to sell my 2 Glocks that I really like. I was pretty sure that I was going to buy a steel framed CZ75.  I figured more weight, less recoil and I liked the way thy felt in my hand.

I rented one. I did not like the way it felt when fired and the slide release was in an awkward position. I had wanted a CZ75 for years. Renting it was quite an eye opener.

I returned the CZ75. They had a “Holy Grail” gun in the rental case. I have wanted one of those as well. It was actually for sale if I wanted it. I did not like it either. And the hammer bites. 

Anyway, I still have my Glocks and I appreciate them even more. I have changed my hand holds and that helps with firing them. I use my left index finger to hold the from of the trigger guard. It works for me. 

Anyway, renting a gun can be a real eye opener.

Howdy,

Ruger of your choice or a nice ol Buckmark? No loooosers here pard.

Just pick one and get a nice pile of magazines so you don't have to load in the cold.

Mark II stainless gummint. Hard to beat cause it thinks its a rifle.

Best

CR

so many options and variations with Ruger....but just a plain ol Buckmark will work for ya too.

Never have shot the Browning

However, I love my Ruger MK-IV 22/45. Unlike the MK-I, MK-II and MK-III it is unbelievably simple to break down for cleaning. Just push a button and lift to remove the barrel and slide assembly. Clean and drop right back on.

Installed a Volquartsen Accurizing Kit and Tandem-Kross Halo charging ring. Works flawlessly.

I have two rugers - one a slab side target model - and one a 22/45 with a bull barrel - both are dead accurate. However it hurts to see the easy Mark IV takedown and reassembly. I just can't bring myself to sell two perfectly good pistols just to replace them for that. 

Don't know the Browning or others, but the rugers are nice and accurate pistols. Good luck with whatever you choose. 

If I was buying a new 22 pistol now it would be a S&W Model 17 Masterpiece.

https://www.ruger.com/products/markIVStandard/models.html

I bought this NIB for $359.00, great gun, simple and easy to take apart..... not like the 22/45 of old.

Widder is a .22 maniac.   Great choices and info above.

So many good .22 pistols and revolvers.  And yes, I've either owned them or presently own one.

REVOLVER:   Tauras Tracker,  S&W 617,  Ruger GP100, Ruger Single-Six.    The 10 shot S&W 617 is my

favorite of these revolvers.

PISTOL:

Browning Buckmark.   So many variations and sizes.   Their 'Contour' barrel models are really nice AND

some of their shorter bull barrel pistols feel real nice in the hand.

Browning 1911-22.   This is a 7/8 scale 1911 and is super reliable with just about any ammo you feed it.

I presently own 2 Buckmarks and they are first rate.   Accurate and reliable.

I recently sold another Buckmark to a friend..... and he won't sell it back to me..... ;)

Ruger MK-IV.   I've owned the MKII and MKIII.   The MK-IV is my favorite.

Ruger SR-22.   So reliable that I gave it to my daughter for a 2nd handgun to carry.

S&W model 41.   This ain't your everyday carry type .22 auto.   Its pricey.  Very dependable, but

I find its accuracy on scale with the Browning Buckmarks.    The oddity about my Model 41 is that

its VERY accurate with CCI Stingers.    

S&W M&P Compact.    This is also a dandy smaller sized .22 pistol.   It holds 10 rounds and it may very well

be as reliable as ANY pistol I've every owned.    Like the Ruger SR22, it is double/single action.

I like the S&W over the Ruger SR22 because the safety is UP for safe and DOWN to fire.

The Ruger SR22 safety is Down for safe and UP for fire.   Otherwise, BOTH are very good .22 pistols.

HIGH STANDARD:   Nearly ALL of the original models are great pistols.   The Mitchell

High Standard pistols never earned the good reputation as the original HS pistols.   

I understand the High Standard VICTOR model is being made again in

Texas but I haven't seen nor handled one.   My original VICTOR model was top notch.

I might just be me, but parts availability and magazines for High Standard pistols are hard to find.

Parts and extra mags are easy to get for these pistols:

Browning Buckmarks

Ruger SR22 and the Ruger MKIV series

S&W Victory, M&P Compact and Model 41

CUSTOM INFO:  At present, Volquartsen is doing some great work with Ruger MK series pistols and

the S&W Victory model.   I don't think Volquartsen is doing any custom work with the Buckmarks.

Gosh, I know I've left something out.   Good Luck.

P.S. - Don't let the S&W Victory pistol and the High Standard 'Victor' confuse you.

They are totally separate pistols.

..........Widder

Yeah I’d love a model 42. 

I think ill fondle a Mark IV. I do know I prefer the feel of the Luger style grip. And I kind had a stainless slab side target barrel in mind.

Maybe I should quit worrying about it and just buy a Buckmark AND a Mark IV?

14 hours ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

If you take a notion to really treat yourself , grab that Colt Woodsman that is for sale over in the Classifieds. That would be one sweet pistol.

Rex :D

Yeah the thought had occurred....

I love Rugers, have a number of them. Main problem with their handguns is that for the last 40 years or so, the trigger pulls SUCK! I admit I don't know the .22 but if it's like the rest of them you can count on a trigger job to get anywhere near a decent pull.

JHC

I've got a high standard and a ruger. It's not even close the high standard blows the ruger away for accuracy.  Not saying the ruger is bad because it's not.  Just it's not better in my hands. 

So much so that im going to be selling my ruger.  If your interested pm me and we can talk. 

On 8/29/2019 at 2:47 PM, G W Wade said:

I have both but prefer the Ruger.  The Browning Target is a great gun, but is harder to clean and gets dirty faster.  You know the Ruger, they just work       GW

Until the Mark IV, Rugers are a bitch to reassemble after field stripping.  I have a Mark II that I have stripped a couple of times.  I now will only strip it when it is so dirty that it doesn't cycle.  If I shot it more I'd buy the aftermarket conversion that simplifies the task.

P.S. I once loaned it to relatives who wanted to return it as cleans as received.  They followed the owner's manual to disassemble; however, it was a basket case when returned.  After a couple of hours trying to reassemble they gave up.

In defense of the older Ruger auto's. They are not that bad to clean and assemble.  Problem is they are so reliable people only clean them every few years!!  Our memory isn't good, if you did it a couple of times when you get it.    My go to is the HS .        GW

Archived