SASS Wire Forum

How many stages at a monthly?

Buck D. Law, SASS #62183

Escondido 6

Cajon 6

Dulzura 6

Cajon 8

The Cowboys at Norco 8

Normally 6. One, now defunct, shot 5. Another dying club only shot 3 matches this year; one was 4, but after some grumbling about only 4 stages, they did 5 at the next one, then their annual two day shoot of 10 stages. It's become heavily weighted with 3-gun influence - sort of a western 3-gun combat thing with several different positions, barricades to shoot through/around, smaller than normal targets, and longer than normal distances - some folks seem to like it and some hate it.

There are two local clubs where I have done a 10 stage day and a 12 stage day.  Otherwise 6 is average.

Not many folks there so we just kept shooting.

And it was glorious.  :D

1 minute ago, Shooting Bull said:

I’ve never shot at a club’s monthly that was more than six. I guess if eight is all you’ve ever know then it wouldn’t be a big deal. But it sure seems to me that would start to feel like a marathon. 

In the years I shot that every weekend in So Cal... Don't remember any complaints.

As I see it, we are shooting to shoot because we enjoy shooting.

More shooting is better than less shooting.

Not taking into consideration weather conditions,  that is.

If I'm driving several hours to shoot I like getting more action for my time and money.

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

I’ve never shot at a club’s monthly that was more than six. I guess if eight is all you’ve ever know then it wouldn’t be a big deal. But it sure seems to me that would start to feel like a marathon. 

Nah, I ran a marathon once for about and eighth of a mile and 8 stages is nothing compared to that.:D.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

In the years I shot that every weekend in So Cal... Don't remember any complaints.

I think Capt Jake complained about you shooting .32’s and some little kid shooting .45’s at one of the last Cowboys matches you were at.:P.

30 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I think Capt Jake complained about you shooting .32’s and some little kid shooting .45’s at one of the last Cowboys matches you were at.:P.

I remember handing my guns to Tex at a match and telling him to shoot them...let me know if they had enough umph!

He shot them...looked at them...handed them back to me and said "That'll work".

I didn't shoot light loads

:D

2 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I remember handing my guns to Tex at a match and telling him to shoot them...let me know if they had enough umph!

He shot them...looked at them...handed them back to me and said "That'll work".

I didn't shoot light loads

:D

i got to meet tex and cat at the WV showdown the first year i shot SASS! i felt star-struck!

i wish i would have gotten him to shoot my remingtons!!!

15 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

As I see it, we are shooting to shoot because we enjoy shooting.

More shooting is better than less shooting.

Howdy

I used to feel that way.

But these days I'm pretty tuckered out after six stages, which seems to be normal around these parts.

Our most frequently attended away match is 2 hours plus drive.  I try to have some things loaded in the truck the day before and everything else besides guns staged to go in truck.  Typically get started about 5am and loaded and on road before 7am. Start shooting about 9:30. By noon, especially if it's hot,  we're about done in. Sawmill Mary has just quit shooting and taken over the score recording.   I start to get brain fade.  Then 2 hours plus drive home. 

Our local range is only 20 minutes away.  But we need to get there early to set out targets and kind of have some confab with others running the match. Then after the match - put all the targets away and a lot more visiting and more confab among people that ran the match. Last ones to leave has to secure the clubhouse.  Usually as long and hard a day as the away game.

I don't know if one stage more or less would help. 

14 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

I used to feel that way.

But these days I'm pretty tuckered out after six stages, which seems to be normal around these parts.

Me too.  I guess I'm gettin' old.

Well, I've read all the responses on this thread as well as the responses on the thread that Warden Callaway started and come to the conclusion that the people who play this game. . .like to shoot! I am shocked! Amazed! And a bunch of other adjectives that I can't think of. :lol: Thanks to everyone who participated in both threads for helping to confirm that I'm not the only one. Set 'em up. We're gonna shoot 'em!

Archived