SASS Wire Forum

Hey! California AR owners! Check this out!

Dantankerous

While I think California should be made to be AR compliant, here is the latest in AR innovations allowing for AR goodness.

I prefer my method. Featureless! 

I keep the standard magazine release with 10 round mags. I did installed a Thordson FRS-15 stock, did not install a flash hider but may put a comp / brake on and that’s that. California legal and approved by the DOJ. 

This is the photo I had to send them to register my gun. No, I didn’t want to but I did it do I would never get arrested in this state.

85B188FC-4A1D-4532-818D-D510B26ACA35.thumb.jpeg.6f2e1c3dbb4cdef8fb7bc8481c3a0fa3.jpeg8A6F2DEB-C9A4-4C35-A497-9E18A3C39AEE.thumb.jpeg.411ed14c1a924fbd63814c782978f64b.jpeg

This is what it looks like now:

FBFCC654-C4FB-4C5B-A293-81AB88E4608A.thumb.jpeg.619a4afc6496abdf2a951d78cbcd960d.jpeg170DB7A6-1B17-44E1-B44D-FD357DA50A58.thumb.jpeg.ae5613245f42881c73c924694b6a4421.jpeg

I still have to regulate the gas return block. The handguard isn’t affixed in these photos. Once I dial in the gas return I will sight it in with the red dot sights. I will then permanently mount the handguard and install and regulate the backup sights.

Just goes to show it's impossible to completely ban AR-15s. A lot of gun shops are getting around WA state's new I-1639 law by selling ARs with a solid gas block (turning them into "bolt actions") or else selling uppers and lowers separately. As long as you don't assemble the two halves while you're still in the gun shop you're technically not buying a semi-auto. ;)

36 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Just goes to show it's impossible to completely ban AR-15s. A lot of gun shops are getting around WA state's new I-1639 law by selling ARs with a solid gas block (turning them into "bolt actions") or else selling uppers and lowers separately. As long as you don't assemble the two halves while you're still in the gun shop you're technically not buying a semi-auto. ;)

Yep. The funny thing is in California, you can buy all the stuff (components) that makes the guns illegal by law, you just can’t legally install it. 

I actually considered going going a similar route to the Kali Key above but then decided against it.

I will miss my YHM Predator flash hider. Those things really work and they help mitigate muzzle rise. I may have to buy one as a decoration for my gun room. ;)

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yep. The funny thing is in California, you can buy all the stuff (components) that makes the guns illegal by law, you just can’t legally install it. 

I actually considered going going a similar route to the Kali Key above but then decided against it.

I will miss my YHM Predator flash hider. Those things really work and they help mitigate muzzle rise. I may have to buy one as a decoration for my gun room. ;)

Hang it on a gold chain around your neck and call it a necklace. Missed you on posse 2 Sunday.

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

Hang it on a gold chain around your neck and call it a necklace. Missed you on posse 2 Sunday.

Thank you. I missed being there. I probably won’t be back for a couple of months more. :(

Haha...with my luck I’d walk into something and fracture my sternum...another injury that sucks... a lot. :lol:

47 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

fracture my sternum

Anyone else immediately think of the joke of a little old lady in church, who stood up to thank God because her poor husband John had broke his scrotum, and it had to be wired back together, but now he was all healed and could actually walk again.

And while every man in church has his legs crossed while groaning in sympathy pains, this man stands up, says that he is the husband John, and wishes his wife to know that the word is sternum, not scrotum.

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I can run my Marlin 94 faster.......:huh:

OLG

Well DON'T let California know that or it'll be banned next.  ;)

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I keep the standard magazine release with 10 round mags. I did installed a Thordson FRS-15 stock, did not install a flash hider but may put a comp / brake on and that’s that. California legal and approved by the DOJ. 

This is the photo I had to send them to register my gun. No, I didn’t want to but I did it do I would never get arrested in this state.

85B188FC-4A1D-4532-818D-D510B26ACA35.thumb.jpeg.6f2e1c3dbb4cdef8fb7bc8481c3a0fa3.jpeg8A6F2DEB-C9A4-4C35-A497-9E18A3C39AEE.thumb.jpeg.411ed14c1a924fbd63814c782978f64b.jpeg

FBFCC654-C4FB-4C5B-A293-81AB88E4608A.thumb.jpeg.619a4afc6496abdf2a951d78cbcd960d.jpeg170DB7A6-1B17-44E1-B44D-FD357DA50A58.thumb.jpeg.ae5613245f42881c73c924694b6a4421.jpeg

I still have to regulate the gas return block. The handguard isn’t affixed in these photos. Once I dial in the gas return I will sight it in with the red dot sights. I will then permanently mount the handguard and install and regulate the backup sights.

I believe that’s US Space Force compliant. ;)

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I believe that’s US Space Force compliant. ;)

Aha! UB gets it! I was going for a “space gun” look! :lol:

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No offense but that is one ugly assed gun.

43 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

No offense but that is one ugly assed gun.

None taken. It’s my gun. I think it’s cool. I like it! If we all liked the same things it sure would be a boring world. ;)

Wait’l ya see the next one I build. :D

I will say that this stock is actually pretty cool. The angle of the grip is very ergonomic. I do think I need to add some butt pad spacers. 

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You really need to stop watch'n Star Wars movies..........:P

OLG

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Makes almost as much sense as this.

Review: Troy 223 National Sporting Pump-Action Rifle

I think that if I lived in California I'd have one of those pump AR look-a-likes just to keep the libs wetting themselves.

:D

Then there are these:

Legal in all “fixed mag” states, CA, MA, NY

MA Loader around $30

BF-10 around $35

In California you can gave all the “features” that scare bed-wetting hand-wringers, but you have to have a fixed magazine. 

Ya gotta love innovation!

I could be wrong, as I am not a AR guy, but if it was featureless was it necessary to register it as an Assault Weapon? Kinda defeats the point, IMHO.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:37 AM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Should be pointed out for info sake that I-1639 bans no gun types, but sets up a 10-day wait requirement for all semi-auto rifles, plus a training requirement that can be done online in minutes. All semi-auto rifles are defined as semi-auto assault rifles, so the 10-day wait goes for your Ruger 10/22 also...

7 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but if you have the parts even if you don't install them it becomes

"constructive possession" .....as in felony !!!!! If you have the parts you have the weapon.

If you are referring to my comment you are incorrect. 

7 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I could be wrong, as I am not a AR guy, but if it was featureless was it necessary to register it as an Assault Weapon? Kinda defeats the point, IMHO.

As of Jan. 1, 2014 all guns entering California by people moving into the state must be registered with the DOJ. This includes all long guns and handguns. My AR is not registered as an Assault Weapon, it is registered as a long gun.

I could have not registered it at all but I opted to follow the law. 

You are right, I forgot you just moved here. I registered my AR the first time they did this over 18 years ago.

On 8/29/2019 at 1:37 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Unfortunately, it is possible...here's the Attorney General's ban-by-fiat in MA, re-interpreting our gun laws to effectively ban all ARs, AKs, and other similar "assault weapons".   You can no longer buy, sell or transfer one here.  The AG's order includes a not-so-veiled threat to sue violators under MGL c. 93A - our consumer protection statute, which can carry treble damages and attorney's fees as part of the penalty for violations; in other words, if you try to find a way around the restrictions, we will crush you with litigation and penalties.

LL

assault-weapons-enforcement-notice.pdf

I think in honor of this thread that I will go buy another lower receiver soon so I can start my next “assembly”. 

This last one took me a year to do because I vowed to build one with every part a part that I bought “on sale”. 

Funny thing is, even doing that I could have bought an entire AR-15 cheaper...

NONE of my firearms have ever assaulted anybody, ever. Therefore I do not own any assault weapons.

I have several framing hammers that all have a "claw" on one end and boy-O-boy those look menacing.

:o

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

NONE of my firearms have ever assaulted anybody, ever. Therefore I do not own any assault weapons.

I have several framing hammers that all have a "claw" on one end and boy-O-boy those look menacing.

:o

My Ruger PC Carbine fell over the other day and hurt my foot...Does that count?

Archived