SASS Wire Forum

Hurricane Dorian - Get Ready Now!

Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L

9 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Good luck and please......don't let your ego override your brain and heart.

What Sun said, get out of the way and deal with the aftermath, after it's gone.  As hard as it may be, things can be replaced, people cannot.

Stay Safe!

17 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

If you watched or remember from Hurricane Michael moving through Mexico Beach, FL - there was really only one house that survived that beach front neighborhood.

image.jpeg.48644c35781610ba51941af484cfbcb4.jpeg

Link

Search Link

Thanks for sharing. That was very interesting. I suppose there are things you could do to protect yourself from tornadoes. Instead of pilings a sturdy basement would be appropriate.

Anyway, I hope y'all in harms way stay safe!

Hey Dogmeat, while I appreciate your good wishes there are those of us that have ridden more than a few of the “sea Broncos” and while you may think my ego is getting the best of me, for example, right now I have waited to put up shutters where I am just south of Deerfield Beach, with a tropical storm watch over me. I have water food gas for generators, but at the moment there is no need for me to put up the steel corrugated shutters. Going to wait until tomorrow morning to see what direction the storm takes becuz we have had ones who zig when they were supposed to zag. Now this isn’t my ego talking, it’s over 30 years of experience with hurricanes!  So don’t take our watching as playing up to our egos, it’s our experience that we are playing too. 

28 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Hey Dogmeat, while I appreciate your good wishes there are those of us that have ridden more than a few of the “sea Broncos” and while you may think my ego is getting the best of me, for example, right now I have waited to put up shutters where I am just south of Deerfield Beach, with a tropical storm watch over me. I have water food gas for generators, but at the moment there is no need for me to put up the steel corrugated shutters. Going to wait until tomorrow morning to see what direction the storm takes becuz we have had ones who zig when they were supposed to zag. Now this isn’t my ego talking, it’s over 30 years of experience with hurricanes!  So don’t take our watching as playing up to our egos, it’s our experience that we are playing too. 

Dogmeat simply quoted what I posted, so don't blame him. What I was referring to is folks from Lauderdale on up. Coconut Grove is quite a bit lower than the possible path but you never know. You are exactly right, they zig when the were supposed to zag. I've never in 60 years seen a hurricane do what they say it's going to do. I certainly didn't mean for my post to be insulting to you or anyone else. If you took it that way....well, too bad. You've confused concern with condescension.

No offense taken.  That's the beauty of a free country.  We each get to balance our personal actions against our own perception of the risks involved.  My comments are intended only to express my wishes for the safety of all in the path of this storm.  I have many good friends in Florida, (some who will even admit they know me :P) and I have seen one in particular loose everything in a past storm.

Be safe, and check in after the storm has passed.

Most of us that live in hurricane prone areas have different reasons for staying/going and things we look at/for when making the decision.

One things for sure, the Good Lord will direct the weather the way He wants.

We'll figure out where it's going after it's been there!

Too many people are no longer with us because their experience said things would be different.

Hey guys I responding to the very first post  by Dogmeat. Seems to me that again a lot of us here have much more experience and I did take a little offense to the ego remark!  Wouldn’t have to someone saying to us down here to be safe, whatever we choose to do. My family and I have been thru hurricanes in the last 25 years and have never evacuated. The reason that we haven’t is that we are in a cinder block bldg and well protected. The worst time we have had was when we and s lot of gas stations were out of electricity for almost a month!  

So thanks for advising people to take as much care and precautions as they can, staying safe, and leave them without the “ego” comment. If I don’t shutter up, there is a good reason for not, based on my particular situation and experience. Got nothing to do with ego!

Not much talk of Hurricanes here in Michigan 'cept when folks find out I'm from Florida. Then I'm the resident expert.

Right now I'm looking for the that big right hand turn away from land and on out to sea. Bye bye, Dorian.

Waimea

14 minutes ago, Waimea said:

Not much talk of Hurricanes here in Michigan 'cept when folks find out I'm from Florida. Then I'm the resident expert.

Right now I'm looking for the that big right hand turn away from land and on out to sea. Bye bye, Dorian.

Waimea

Boy, when you evacuate, you evacuate.;)

33 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Boy, when you evacuate, you evacuate.;)

Outlaws never look back.

HOWEVER, I will be happy to take some of that spare beer off your hands when we drive back through.:lol:

25 minutes ago, Waimea said:

Outlaws never look back.

HOWEVER, I will be happy to take some of that spare beer off your hands when we drive back through.:lol:

PBR comin up!:lol:

I thought Outlaws were always looking behind them, that's why they sit with their backs to the wall.:ph34r:

12 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

PBR comin up!:lol:

I thought Outlaws were always looking behind them, that's why they sit with their backs to the wall.:ph34r:

:lol: Beggars can't be choosers. I'll take a Pabst.:lol:

Ride hard and NEVER look back.

On 8/31/2019 at 8:56 PM, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Yep, once they take that little click to the right they wind up right here. I was talking to one of they guys at the range today about how our part of the coast is shaped like a catchers mit. They gutter guy just finished the repairs here last week, two more walls to paint and I'm done:wacko::blink:

Ah ha ha:huh:, two clicks and now it's headed right at us:wacko:  Y'all stay safe....Good Luck:)

Jefro:ph34r:Relax-Enjoy

8 hours ago, Jefro, SASS#69420 said:

Ah ha ha:huh:, two clicks and now it's headed right at us:wacko:  Y'all stay safe....Good Luck:)

Jefro:ph34r:Relax-Enjoy

I know where you can get beer.:lol:

interesting part of mother nature is that you really cannot determine what she might do in advance - only speculate then react , no matter how many carbon taxes you pay ...or charge ... you cant change what she is going to do or where she is going to do it , and please do not pretend we have never in history seen worse , it just aint true , so , i pray for the best for all affected , i wish a speedy recovery for those damaged and please lord let all be safe , not necessarily in that order of course , just watchin and waitin as i did monday night when we had tornado warnings , be safe 

Archived