SASS Wire Forum

CAS guns you won’t keep?

My shooting tastes are changing and I just don’t do CAS as much as I used to. The time will come when I step away entirely, and I got to thinking about which guns I might keep and which ones to sell when that time comes. 

Two old model Vaqueros in 44 mag are definite keepers. They are butter smooth after a zillion or so rounds. Might have to have Doug Turnbull refinish them. 

Marlin 94 in 44 mag. A definite keeper. It’s customized to look like they were built in 1894, and just feels right in my hands. 

Two Sharps rifles. Maybe keep.  Maybe sell. They’re fun and beautiful, but without much purpose post-CAS. 

Two 97s. Definite sell. They’re ugly and clunky compare to my 870, and I could get a good price for them. 

Kinda curious about other’s thoughts along these lines. 

That one's easy. All of them, except a .30 carbine Blackhawk (story behind that one), a couple of 92's (my dad gave me) and a couple of 97 shotguns(I love the 97). the rest of them are nothing more than liquid assets. Hard, but it's the truth.

My shooting tastes come in phases. Last year I was on a huge cowboy binge and bought several firearms. Right now I'm back into black rifles, but the Ubertis will get their share of the fun sometime again soon. I probably should take this time to send a couple of them off to gunsmiths while they're mostly idle.

Ruger NMVs. Selling all of mine.

I just sold two and have a third spoken for. Nothing wrong with'em, they just ain't the OM Ruger Bisley which I very much prefer. 

My OM Ruger plowhandles, the first pair I ever bought, back in the mid 90's, I'll keep forever. A bit of sentimental value with those as I shot my first EoT clean with them. :D

I would probably get rid of the 45 Marlin, New Model Ruger, and cap&ball revolvers.

Probably lose the Stoeger 12 ga too since I picked up the Shockwave.

I’d keep the 7 1/2” Cattleman, Ruger Sheriff And 1860 Henry in 44-40 (because it’s cool) :D

I'm going to sell..... No, not them.

So I'll sell..... No, not that one.

I definitely sell my 97....... Maybe

So that leaves those. Nope, not those.

Looks like my kids get a full set of backups!

I will get rid of some and kids will deal with the rest....As for wife...If I go first she is going wonder how did he buy them....And the next time she sees me, I think she will shoot me....At very least beat me over the head....

Texas Lizard

Main reason getting rid of some...Running out of room...Youngest has already put claim on first gen 44-40 Colt and Python 357...The colt was my grandfathers carry gun...Law enforcement in early 1900s in Texas...But told they cannot leave the USA...Lives overseas...

I have whittled back my small group of CAS guns.  I have switched back to shooting .357. I sold my .45 guns except for my Ruger original Vaquero with a 7.5” barrel. I can’t part with that revolver. It’s just too damn cool not to keep it. :D

For CAS I have 3 revolvers, 2 rifles and 1 operational shotgun. Have 2 more that I need to reassemble. I also have my BP revolvers but I won’t be using those for matches:

35 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have whittled back my small group of CAS guns.  I have switched back to shooting .357. I sold my .45 guns except for my Ruger original Vaquero with a 7.5” barrel. I can’t part with that revolver. It’s just too damn cool not to keep it. :D

For CAS I have 3 revolvers, 2 rifles and 1 operational shotgun. Have 2 more that I need to reassemble. I also have my BP revolvers but I won’t be using those for matches:

Same here almost, 3 revolvers, 3 rifles and 3 shotguns, if I ever have to quit CAS, God forbid, I would keep my 3rd Gen Colt in .357 and probably keep my 73. I would also keep a shotgun for home defense. 

Oh, long guns too...

My JM Marlin Cowboy 45 Colt and my Stoeger Supreme 12 ga could go as I never use 'em. However, when I bring a new shooter in them is the guns they always shoot.

Otherwise, I don't really need to keep them either.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Nothing wrong with'em, they just ain't the OM Ruger Bisley which I very much prefer. 

I can SO relate to that.
I like the feel of my 1999 Bisley so much better than the 2019 SASS Vaqueros I bought for my wife's smaller hands.
I was so fortunate to find his twin brother in a pawn shop, and had it sent my way.

Sell my kids first. Then the dog. Then the house. Well, might be selling the house since it's in Illinois, if anyone would be fool enough to buy it. 

One of my gunsmiths says my safe is where guns go and never again leave!!  He's almost right!!  I've sold my .44 Russian, Uberti copies. I've sold several SASS legal pocket pistols.  I've sold a few of my 1860 and 1851 Colt copies over the years and I sold a really nice pair of converted Remington 1858s.

I still have enough guns and equipment/accessories to easily outfit five or more shooters besides myself for a great weekend at a cowboy match!  I doubt that that will ever change unless that number increases.  I mostly live by an observation my father made years ago when discussing some commodity that he had and someone else wanted but didn't want to pay what the old man was asking. He had purposely priced it so that it wouldn't sell, and the guy sputtered and swore and implied that he wouldn't pay that much!!  The old man answered smoothly, "HELL!!  IT AIN'T EATIN' NOTHIN'!!!" and turned and walked away!!

They ain't eatin' nothin' and most of 'em will only increase in value!!  Like money in the bank!!!

I wonder about where all the CAS guns have gone. We are currently at 108000 or 109000 total number of members over the years. Assuming some have passed away and some just quit, sold their guns, or are storing the guns. Current guesstimate is around 30K active. Most of us have several sets of guns. There have to be a whole bunch of CAS guns out there. If we all quit at the same time and decided to sell out the value of our guns would tank.  All that action work would probably make many guns worth less money; pistols without transfer bars, springs that'll only fire certain primers, safeties disabled, etc. If you're on the fence and would prefer to have the money over the guns I'd sell them while there's still a market. 

21 minutes ago, Raylan said:

Sell my kids first. Then the dog. Then the house. Well, might be selling the house since it's in Illinois, if anyone would be fool enough to buy it. 

Advertise it on LIBERAL publications and websites it'll sell in a hurry! :P

17 minutes ago, Assassin said:

I wonder about where all the CAS guns have gone. We are currently at 108000 or 109000 total number of members over the years. Assuming some have passed away and some just quit, sold their guns, or are storing the guns. Current guesstimate is around 30K active. Most of us have several sets of guns. There have to be a whole bunch of CAS guns out there. If we all quit at the same time and decided to sell out the value of our guns would tank.  All that action work would probably make many guns worth less money; pistols without transfer bars, springs that'll only fire certain primers, safeties disabled, etc. If you're on the fence and would prefer to have the money over the guns I'd sell them while there's still a market. 

They'll always be a market, CAS shooters are not the only ones that have these guns. There's collectors, hunters and people that just love old style western guns! I know a few shooters who have one or two single actions.;)

24 minutes ago, Assassin said:

You've convinced me to quit, I'll create a bunch of ads in the SASS Classifieds shortly.

I really can’t think of any CAS guns I want to part with. 3, soon to be 4 sets of Ruger Old Armies, 13 Winchester 1897 shotguns 16 gauge, 4 Pedersoli Lightning’s adding another this winter, 3 SxS also in 16 gauge. 

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Easy peasy:  NONE will ever leave before I do.  My kids get 'em all.

Yup!  I have only sold one gun - about twenty years ago; a like-new Russian SKS.  Christmas time, and money was tight.

Otherwise, no.  I've made gifts* of several... but have never otherwise sold one and doubt I ever will.  :)

*The now ex's lawyer was almost apoplectic over that!  :rolleyes:

On 8/28/2019 at 7:28 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Yup!  I have only sold one gun - about twenty years ago; a like-new Russian SKS.  Christmas time, and money was tight.

Otherwise, no.  I've made gifts* of several... but have never otherwise sold one and doubt I ever will.  :)

*The now ex's lawyer was almost apoplectic over that!  :rolleyes:

Over the years I bought, sold, and traded several hundred guns of all kinds.  I gave away a few, too, but about 2005 when I retired I dumped some guns and started to specialize a bit.  I gave my son a Ruger .380 back in March, and I recently bought a pistol that I will give to my daughter in about six weeks when I see her again, but other than that I have a core of guns that I'll never let go.

I recently had my dad's Remington Model 81 refurbished into a near-new look and I have a half dozen more to be worked over (Hey, MY guns and I'll do what I want with them and to hell with collector's value and everyone's opinion).  I also have a bunch that I customized to my liking (same comments).

7 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I sell one now and again... and buy two or three more to replace it.  :mellow:

I've even bought and sold the same guns over a couple times. Maybe not the EXACT gun but one like it! Sick!!:blink:

Hey Guye  

You will not have to make that choice of which guns to keep and which to sell the Government will buy back or take all of your guns period...

if bought for just pennies on the dollar 

The Government will maybe even make you the owner of these guns personally feed them into the shredder.

14 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

My shooting tastes are changing and I just don’t do CAS as much as I used to. The time will come when I step away entirely, and I got to thinking about which guns I might keep and which ones to sell when that time comes. 

Two old model Vaqueros in 44 mag are definite keepers. They are butter smooth after a zillion or so rounds. Might have to have Doug Turnbull refinish them. 

Marlin 94 in 44 mag. A definite keeper. It’s customized to look like they were built in 1894, and just feels right in my hands. 

Two Sharps rifles. Maybe keep.  Maybe sell. They’re fun and beautiful, but without much purpose post-CAS. 

Two 97s. Definite sell. They’re ugly and clunky compare to my 870, and I could get a good price for them. 

Kinda curious about other’s thoughts along these lines. 

Kinda curious about what customizing work you had done on the Marlin?

I guess I had an Oprah “Duh-uh” moment.

If I quit CAS what guns would I keep?...

Well, I am thinking that 2 of the shotguns would go...nope. I would keep what I have as listed above...

Never mind...moving on...gotta go...

(There was about a 3 minute pause between “would go” and “nope”. Had to think...no, it didn’t hurt and I am okay) 

I am going to sell some of mine  

Ruger Vaquero's  45 cal  currently I have 5 too many 

Colts 45 cal third gen unfired and consecutive serial numbers  with 7 1/2 inch blued

Maybe Colts 357 mag 7 1/2 inch  one pair  blued 

two winchester 97's 12 ga.

1873 Uberty 357 mag blued done by Jimmy Spires  maybe 200 rounds through it was a back up sat in safe

if you are coming to Michigan State Shoot this weekend look on my table Friday  

I haven't shot a match in years, have a whole bunch of guns I need to sell. Two or three silhouette pistols as well. I have thinned the herd a bit, I have two stepsons that I've given a few to, bad part is neither of them or most of my grandsons have a lot of interest in shooting (yet). I know I should liquidate a bunch and bank the money, cuz someday I'm gonna kick the bucket and they'll probably be sold at an estate auction or some such. I'm sure most if not all of you know, it's not easy to part with guns you've spent decades collecting. They don't eat, and it's a pain in the butt to sell them and get a fair price. If you're not hurting for money it's not a very high priority.

JHC

3 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Kinda curious about what customizing work you had done on the Marlin?

Installed a crescent butt plate. Then had the butt plate, lever, hammer, and forearm cap case hardened. Installed a Lyman #2 tang sight. Prettiest little carbine and a lot of fun to shoot. I’ll post a pic when I get home Saturday. 

6 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I can't see any reason to sell them.  Sharyn can do it after I'm gone, or the kids will get them and do what they want with them.

Just make sure they’re in your will.

Maybe my Stoeger side by sides, and my last Glock. I have four boys and one girl. She could care less about guns, so I'm going to gear her up with photography equipment and a Jeep Wrangler. Boys will get the guns, ultimately. They can buy their own damn vehicles.

I'd like  to add a Marlin 45-70, just because its fun to shoot, but not another Cowboy like I sold. I want a JM model SS with a  22" barrel and pistol grip with Ballard rifling. Looking now for a Bisley 5 1/2 stainless in whatever caliber and a 22 semi-auto, both for camping and tromping in the woods. 

Maybe one day a 300 win mag set up for long range pursuits, but honestly my 30-30 and 30-06 handle all I ever encounter. If I could add the 45-70, Bisley and 22, I can call it quits and start giving guns to the kids. Anything else needs to be a screaming deal distress sell. I promised myself to finish the stock work on my 30-06 and stock work on my wife 260 before I go buying and working on anything else. No more project guns either. Just finished, complete rifles from now on. I always end up not having time or lose interest and sell out those sort of guns.

Archived