SASS Wire Forum

Should certain aliases be retired?

Shifty Jack, SASS #65353

First of all, I have no idea what possessed me to actually look into this, but it has raised a couple questions for me. When checking to make sure my wife's alias had not been taken (we have been out of the game for a few years) I decided to check a few others of people I haven't seen in a while. Some were there and some were surprisingly missing, one of which is a former overall EOT winner. So this raised the question to me of should there be certain aliases that can only be renewed by the original owner? Maybe Overall EOT winners and/or those in the hall of fame? Kinda like how sports teams retire jersey numbers.

Thoughts?

I think no. If someone wants their alias retired, then spring for the lifetime membership. Then nobody can ever use it. Otherwise, as a dues paying membership organization, if you don't pay your dues then you aren't a member and no longer entitled to membership benefits.

There are a few folks that on this wire that post frequently and aren't members. Every time one of them ticks me off (I'm looking at you Lumpy) I have to check myself from calling up sass and changing my alias to theirs

4 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

There are a few folks that on this wire that post frequently and aren't members. Every time one of them ticks me off (I'm looking at you Lumpy) I have to check myself from calling up sass and changing my alias to theirs

I'm with you. There are also some that have a number but have NOT renewed nor do they have a life membership.

I know this is a little off topic but I believe the Saloon and the Classifieds should be for paying members only. Now I know folks are gonna cry that there is no way for the mods to keep up with this but I cry BS; if membership isn't in a database it should be and should be synced with the forum.

My .02.

32 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I think no. If someone wants their alias retired, then spring for the lifetime membership. Then nobody can ever use it. Otherwise, as a dues paying membership organization, if you don't pay your dues then you aren't a member and no longer entitled to membership benefits.

Go for it-------:lol::P

You'll then have to shoot OMV Rugers and  Marlin 94 then-Oh, add a '87 lever SG too. ^_^

OLG;)

9 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Go for it-------:lol::P

You'll then have to shoot OMV Rugers and  Marlin 94 then-Oh, add a '87 lever SG too. ^_^

OLG;)

Haha I'm good with the 87, but can't give up my 66 carbine nor my Colts

I could possibly see SASS refusing to reissue an alias from a former EOT winner.  But the only way I know of to totally retire an alias is if the owner dies, and then it is up to their family whether it can be reissued or not.  Or at least, that is the way it used to be.

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Hence the reason for my stellar WIRE rep...no one would want to resurrect my alias.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...the MASTER PLAN!!!!!!

:mellow:

Now it all makes sense. I always said to myself, nobody in real life can be that much of a jack a$$

13 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Hence the reason for my stellar WIRE rep...no one would want to resurrect my alias.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...the MASTER PLAN!!!!!!

:mellow:

Wait, wasn't there another Phantom II or something like that a few years ago? Besides that, there are few people that can emulate the answers and responses (regards of the alias) that you do.;)

:lol:

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Wait, wasn't there another Phantom II or something like that a few years ago? Besides that, there are few people that can emulate the answers and responses (regards of the alias) that you do.;)

:lol:

Actually it's quite simple.

Deprive yourself of sleep. Drink lots of caffeine and energy drinks...spend time on MSNBC and CNN.

There - yer good to go!

And we will not discuss "Phantom II"...rest his soul...

39 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Actually it's quite simple.

Deprive yourself of sleep. Drink lots of caffeine and energy drinks...spend time on MSNBC and CNN.

There - yer good to go!

And we will not discuss "Phantom II"...rest his soul...

Holy cow, that's enough to make anyone "testy".

Deep down, Phantom is a nice partner to have around.  I have only met him in person twice, but both times he has been helpful and friendly. Not meaning to destroy his wire reputation,  but he does like to stir the pot with an outboard motor.

Fox

10 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Deep down, Phantom is a nice partner to have around.  I have only met him in person twice, but both times he has been helpful and friendly. Not meaning to destroy his wire reputation,  but he does like to stir the pot with an outboard motor.

Fox

Hey now!!!!

Don't go messin' with my Online Persona!!!!

:rolleyes:

13 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Lumpy's NOT a member? For shame... <_<

And why not?

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Actor's real names???

Not very "Cowboy" and not funny...so...not a very good Alias in my opinion...unless you were related to one of them.

How is Phantom "Cowboy" or "funny"?

13 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Actor's real names???

Not very "Cowboy" and not funny...so...not a very good Alias in my opinion...unless you were related to one of them.

Huh?

Roy Rogers and John Wayne were not the actors real names.   They were stage names.   They were aliases.   If the men who used those stage names, Leonard Slye and Marion Morrison happened to be SASS members, then I'd say that their aliases were worthy of retirement.  If they were not SASS members, then the aliases should be available for anyone to claim.

As noted, a Life Member's alias is protected.  The alias's of those who are yearly members, but have let their membership lapse are not protected.  SASS rules are the same for all.  Sometimes, the alias of an early yearly member gets duplicated, because that person never became a Life member.  That's the way it is.  

(just a note, Roy Rogers was honored with an Honorary Life Membership, during his lifetime.  John Wayne had already passed before SASS came along.  We have had several members using the stage names of actors, such as Lash LaRue, Yakima Canutt, John Wayne, and others.)  Tom Mix is up for grabs...

39 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

How is Phantom "Cowboy" or "funny"?

Now THAT'S a good question... But an alias such as Tex, or T-bone... Etc, aren't "names", but rather nicknames.

So perhaps I should have included that?

Whatever...

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Was Leonard Slye a SASS Member?  If so, I'd say his alias should be retired.   Same for Marion Morrison.

You know, Roy Rogers and John Wayne.

But if they WEREN'T SASS Members then I'd say they should be wide open.

There is a Leonard Slye.

8 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Lumpy's NOT a member? For shame... <_<

And why not?

Can't remember why not, but that's why his name is Original Lumpy Gritz now.  While it was lapsed someone else came along and got Lumpy Grits then signed up for the wire and somehow OLG had to change his name. 

Now we know it was the man with no name who dunnit.  Awful lot of trouble he went through there.  I hope it was worth it. 

Since OLG isn’t a SASS member his alias is available. That’s what happened before and he had to add Original to it. Membership does have its privileges.:P.

This can be discussed, dissected and argued over to no avail.  The Owners of SASS will do as they see fit. I'm headed up stairs to do something productive, dipping ice cream. 

Archived