SASS Wire Forum

Which mag do you like?

Not that kind of mag, this kind....

1792820730_NRASubscriptions.png.2b5524ac1f72c561e5a72f3c08b2c62a.png

Which magazine, if any, do you subscribe to with your NRA Membership and which one(s) do you like and why?

I've always subscribed to American Rifleman; however, lately I don't believe it contains enough entertainment material for me personally.

Therefore, I am considering changing when I renew my membership and value your opinions.

Thanking you in advance.

Doesn't NRA offer Playboy any more?:mellow:

My favorite magazine used to be Handguns (published by Petersen) back in the 1990s when they had the team of Jan Libourel, David Arnold, Sheriff Jim Wilson, Robert Shimek, Garry James, and a host of other excellent writers. Nowadays I can't find any gun rags with a decent sense of journalism that aren't simply plugs for the various gun manufacturers.

What Sixgun Sheridan said. I haven’t truly enjoyed a gun magazine since Shooting Times lost Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan, and Elmer Keith. They were writers that inspired me as a kid, and I was fortunate enough to meet all three at NRA conventions. 

George Nonte was a favorite too. 

I used to to look around for rags that carried Peter Capstick, Jim Wilson, Mike Venturino, and Jack O’Connor. Haven’t seen them in a while. 

Of the the ones you mentioned, American Hunter is my favorite. 

12 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

SI

^^^

yeah, what UB said...

14 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

SI

Just now, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

^^^

yeah, what UB said...

@Utah Bob #35998 & @Shotgun Willie Nelson,

Are those the only ones you have seen?

If not, why do you like SI more than any of the other choices?

Thanks.

I use to take American Rifleman, but actually like the articles and specs of SI better now.

15 minutes ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

I use to take American Rifleman, but actually like the articles and specs of SI better now.

Their swimsuit issue is pretty good, but I never cared for the rest of it.

...wait, are we talking about the same thing???

I get American Hunter & Ellie used to get 1st Freedom, they were quite similar. For some reason we never investigated, they made Ellie a charter member and stopped her magazine. She still gets billed for renewal however. So no clue what a charter member is! :unsure:

Guns of the Old West and True West for me.

Only magazines I get now, by subscription.

Difficult to find any gun mags at a store here in Canada.

It seems to upset the Snowflakes to see them.

If they see one, there is a risk of PTSD and they're awarded a medal.

69_ACD596-360_E-4845-_B86_C-0_AAABDE09004.png

I get American Rifleman. I really do not read much of it because quite honestly I couldn’t care less about old military guns I have read about over and for decades. I really don’t flippin’ care about the newest AR-15 looking Lego toy bolt guns chambered in 6.5 Creedmore or one more freakin’ 1911 that has been “just introduced” on the market. 

I flip to Dope Bag and look what’s there then toss the magazine onto the growing pile. 

The latest one does have an article that interests me about the 350 Legend. The first article in a year or more.

I did not know about this Shooting Illustrated magazine. Looks like more ”tactical” info...yay.... 

For the last 6 years or so it’s been American Rifleman. Many issues go unread, same old same old. I switched to American Hunter but they haven’t shown up yet.

8 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

A Buddy of mine gets Shooting Illustrated, while I get American Rifleman. Mags are identical with regard to editorials & political stuff. Depends on how you define entertaining with regards to gun articles. Probably a bit more pistol stuff in SI.

I agree.  I take American Rifleman because I always have.  Call it inertia.

MHQ, Ancient Warfare and Medieval Warfare.  I'll pick up some other history or archeology magazines occasionally if the cover article intrigues me.

I put the gun rags down uears ago.  A zip gun made of sewer pipe can become Gun of the Year if you buy enough 2 page full color advertisements.  Ever notice that they have never tested a bad gun?

16 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

What Sixgun Sheridan said. I haven’t truly enjoyed a gun magazine since Shooting Times lost Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan, and Elmer Keith. 

Me too, Charlie.

Loved ST.

They had another writer that did a lot of pistol hunting and wrote a lot of articles about the

TC Contender and different calibers, etc.    But I can't remember his name.

That group of Pards were 1st class in their writings, story telling and adventures.

P.S. - I got a personal hand written note from one of those fellers once.

I had written ST about an article and one of their editors wrote me back

in his own hand writing.   I still have it (somewhere) and need to dig it out.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Uh, guys, he means magazines that the NRA offers.

I swear, I think Bottles should be serving Ritalin sometimes. :P

Spoken like you've never sent a post off onto a tangent.  :blink:

Pot, meet kettle.:ph34r:

28 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Spoken like you've never sent a post off onto a tangent.  :blink:

Pot, meet kettle.:ph34r:

I do not recall.

i have no idea what you are speaking about...well, writing about...:P

Take your Ritalin....

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Me too, Charlie.

Loved ST.

They had another writer that did a lot of pistol hunting and wrote a lot of articles about the

TC Contender and different calibers, etc.    But I can't remember his name.

That group of Pards were 1st class in their writings, story telling and adventures.

P.S. - I got a personal hand written note from one of those fellers once.

I had written ST about an article and one of their editors wrote me back

in his own hand writing.   I still have it (somewhere) and need to dig it out.

..........Widder

That other guy who wrote a lot of handgun articles was probably Bob Milek .

I had no idea that NRA offered anything but American Rifleman and American Hunter. Will be checking out that Shooting Illustrated.

Rex :D

17 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I really don’t flippin’ care about the newest AR-15 looking Lego toy bolt guns chambered in 6.5 Creedmore or one more freakin’ 1911 that has been “just introduced” on the market.

Gawd, ain't that the truth. I think if I see another gun rag article about a "brand new" AR-15 or 1911 clone I'm going to throw up... hopefully on the nearest liberal checking out the latest issue of National Geographic.

I've been getting American Rifleman since I first joined way back in the '70's.  I don't recall there being any other choice at that time.  My son used to get AH and, I think, when I first signed him up there was a magazine for Junior shooters.  This is the first I've heard that Shooting Illustrated was an option.

Angus

19 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

For the last 6 years or so it’s been American Rifleman. Many issues go unread, same old same old. I switched to American Hunter but they haven’t shown up yet.

I used to read Guns of the Old West, but quit buying them for the same reason. If you've seen one review of a Win 73 or Colt 73 you've seen them all.

JHC

Archived