SASS Wire Forum

455 Webley: aka short 45CS

7 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

May not be at Cajon but it is other places and trying to get stage writers to write it in the stages is nearly impossible. Pala used to allow it on the clock without a P but they aren’t around anymore.

Cajon is the only club I know that it is SOP to stoke the SG, IF the shooter wants to.

Might be worth ask'n JJ if that has changed.

It started back when Bojack ran the club.

OLG

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Cajon is the only club I know that it is SOP to stoke the SG, IF the shooter wants to.

Might be worth ask'n JJ if that has changed.

It started back when Bojack ran the club.

OLG

At Cajon you can stoke it on the clock, been that way for as long as I’ve been shooting there, not so at other places. You can do it at Escondido but you get a P.

3 hours ago, The Aggie Rifleman, SASS#55213 said:

Bullet wise they are quite big.  262g vs your 250/255g in standard 45LC.  Traditional 455 rounds are very pointy cones vs. flatter type for 45LC.  455 also had at the time the "manstopper" round, which was a hunk of lead with a conical cone cut out of it very much like a hollow point. 

For SASS use a 455 Webley case with one of the popular LW 45's used in CS would be an even shorter package than CS.  Less case capacity depending on powder used could be a benefit.  If SASS lever guns could be made to run 455s the short case would make for higher capacity without additional length.

Hmmm.. I think I may just have to try to make a carrier for one.  It could be a fun project

• 4 weeks later...

No reason why clubs can't start offering Side matches for all these guns....    you might be surprised at what happens.  Down here in Australia we have a stage based side match called "The Pat Garrett"  All your main match guns are used...(although not all on every stage) PLUS a RIFLE cal lever action.   HUGELY popular side match....which of course grew from modest beginnings...   Our Regional is next week...has 150-odd shooters attending...and I would not be at ALL surprised if nearly 100 shoot the Pat Garrett 4 stage side match.                Be creative...give it a go and OFFER some interesting side events at club level (or above if they do take off)          I wasn't aware Wild Bunch started with a wider choice of guns...but I AM already planning to offer a "Not a 1911" pistol side match at next years WB State match here.....be interesting to see what old guns turn out for that....         (Full disclosure - lol - I now have a 1912 Steyr so I am pretty keen.....)

Archived