SASS Wire Forum

Anyone remember this

Smoken D

Was digging through some stuff and found this. Caps look like they are in great shape. Anyone remember this company? Was in a box with stuff dated in the 1930's, so I guess that may be the time for the caps.

IMG_20190828_082740470.jpg

Alcan was a primer manufacturer that I remember from back in the 60's when my dad and I first began to reload. We used them and they were quite reliable. In fact a few years back I came across a few hundred Alcan large rifle primer sleeves from an estate sale that I picked up for next to nothing. Used them in some of my milsurp ammo and they work just fine.

1 hour ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

Alcan was a primer manufacturer that I remember from back in the 60's when my dad and I first began to reload. We used them and they were quite reliable.

I believe some smokeless shotgun powders may also have been sold under the Alcan brand name, but I can't recall what they were.   I think somewhere in my garage attic mess I also have half an old box of Alcan Fibre shotgun spacer wads.  To my (weak) recollection, they also sold finished shotgun ammunition.  I vaguely remember buying Alcan trap loads out of the old Herter's catalog.  That would have been in the mid 1960s.   

Edit:  I found this on the Internet.  Powder, primers, wads, cases and loaded shotgun ammo was all sold under the Alcan brand.   

grntitan_2009_25032.jpg

Sure, I used Alcan powders into the 1970s.   Kinda similar to Herters in that they were more importers than manufacturers themselves.   The two rampant lions were a logo on all their items.

Alcan also made metal cartridge shotgun shells!!

10 hours ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

Alcan was a primer manufacturer that I remember from back in the 60's when my dad and I first began to reload. We used them and they were quite reliable. In fact a few years back I came across a few hundred Alcan large rifle primer sleeves from an estate sale that I picked up for next to nothing. Used them in some of my milsurp ammo and they work just fine.

Was gone all day and sure enough I remember that dad had a 51 Nave in 36cal in the late-mid 60's. Also had a box of 36cal balls he had made. So, I would bet that is correct about the 60's for these primers. Will try them on my 51's.

I’m curious how the spent caps behave.  Will they fragment and fall off the nipples easily or will they stay on the nipple after firing?  I have a hunch they are tougher than caps made today.  Be sure to post a range report!  

I remember using Alcan caps back about 1978 when was a teenager into muzzleloaders -- but my memory is that they were "dirtier" and more corrosive than Remingtons (but this is from memory, I could be wrong, and YMMV).

20 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I’m curious how the spent caps behave.  Will they fragment and fall off the nipples easily or will they stay on the nipple after firing?  I have a hunch they are tougher than caps made today.  Be sure to post a range report!  

If you are coming to the state shoot at the end of September I will bring the can along with one of my 51 Navy's and we'll give them a test run.

56 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

If you are coming to the state shoot at the end of September I will bring the can along with one of my 51 Navy's and we'll give them a test run.

I look forward to it!  Thanks.

I've got a couple boxes of Alcan shotgun primers and a box of 10 NIB 10 ga brass Alcan hulls.

Fingers (Show Me MO Smoke) McGee

Archived