SASS Wire Forum

Screwdriver knife

DustyDave

Online Outpost offers Redwing screw knives and Palo Verde  DeJamer.     Worth a look.    Palo Verde is a little cheaper   Great place to pickup parts        GW

1 hour ago, DustyDave said:

Where can I buy a screwdriver knife designed to clear 1873 rifle jams?  I am want something nice looking but not crazy expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Dusty Dave

Don't get one! I never had a jam till I got one. LOL

Thank you for the link.  

Are the Redwing knives shaped to work the same as the Palo Verde?  They work pretty slick in the videos.  

I had a case stick in the chamber and pop off the extractor in my first match ever.  The Palo Verde would have been handy.

1 hour ago, DustyDave said:

I had a case stick in the chamber and pop off the extractor in my first match ever.  The Palo Verde would have been handy.

Pretty good!  In my first match, my hands were shaking too much to hold it, much less use it quickly.  

I made a couple from broken/work out pocket knife blades and shed antlers. They don't have the extra $115 of pretty that the Red Wings do, but accomplish the same thing.

Here is a product that I am making. I call them cowboy screwdrivers. They are American-made hollow  ground tool steel bits. Epoxied into various 

Laminated Hardwoods , such as a paduk, blood wood, zebra wood bacote, purple heart,osage orange,American hickory and walnut  and many others. The screwdrivers are $80 each and sheets are available for an additional $30. People have been very pleased with what we are making and I hope to share them with many other shooters. You can send me a PM for more information. Thanks Oak Creek Martin. 

PS many other cool items available soon. 

02EF2546-A201-4211-9CEB-3E4FC67801F0.jpeg

The PV Un-jammer tool is specially shaped and sized to be able to get inside the '73 mechanism and do the Un-jamming magic. To do this, it must be very thin and very strong. It is therefore made from high quality spring steel. 

Redwing makes beautiful screwdrivers of heavy Damascus steel and they work well as screwdrivers but they are not sized or intended to do the '73 Un-jamming. Although the PV Un-jammer can be used to "snug up" a screw it is not intended to be able to really torque a screw down. 

Two different products for two different purposes.  :)

9 minutes ago, Palo Verde, SASS # 56522 said:

The PV Un-jammer tool is specially shaped and sized to be able to get inside the '73 mechanism and do the Un-jamming magic. To do this, it must be very thin and very strong. It is therefore made from high quality spring steel. 

Redwing makes beautiful screwdrivers of heavy Damascus steel and they work well as screwdrivers but they are not sized or intended to do the '73 Un-jamming. Although the PV Un-jammer can be used to "snug up" a screw it is not intended to be able to really torque a screw down. 

Two different products for two different purposes.  :)

^ What he said.  And the accompanying video is awesome. Could have used a sexier model, but the one used obviously knows his stuff. :lol:

7 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Could have used a sexier model, but the one used obviously knows his stuff. :lol:

Mr. S. Bull,

The fact that you found him sexy at all gives us cause to worry. :lol:

Archived