SASS Wire Forum
Boomstick Bruce

Finally switched categories

So I started CAS/SASS about 3 years ago. Everyone told me to shoot an aged based category until I got comfortable with the in's and out's of cowboy action shooting. About 5 years prior to getting into CAS, I shot a few black powder matches with "eye of the hawk" in Maine. We shot for accuracy scores at 25, 50 and 100yds, iirc. I shot against guys using rifles with a 8" barrel 58 remington. I never won a match, but i never placed lower than 3rd either. At those matches they had me shoot "duelist" and I got quite accustomed to it. When i started CAS, i started shooting "squaw gripper" and did ok but it never felt right to me. So a few months ago I decided i was going to shoot a match at the NRA with the Virginia City Marshals duelist and use my 47 Walker and one of my 12" 58 Remingtons both with drop in 45colt conversions. I did well, had one miss, and had a good time!

So yesterday i decided i was going to shoot duelist category with my pair of 5.5" 58's in 45colt. Well it all just felt natural to me,  shot an average of 35 seconds per stage and shot the whole match clean!!!

So, I have decided to join the ranks of Duelist shooters!

• Like 13

Posted (edited)

Now you need to take the pledge and become a Pistolero. :)

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Well now that you’ve started walking (pistolero) start running with the big boys (gunfighters) we get to use two guns.:D

Here’s ours.

598ACB45-E28D-4AAD-B543-DE69B1AD0BF8.jpeg

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Welcome to the underestimated ranks of Duelist! 

I had a similar story. Shot two handed and constantly had misses and procedurals. Switched to Duelist middle of last year and my times have improved and the misses are way down!!  

Enjoy working on the endless transition possibility and don't give in to the folks telling you to pull both out at the same time!  It's OK to go to the darkside, but keep one gun in each hand like John Wayne taught us!!

I could never get the hang of squaw paw style. I shot duelist until I got to know the game a little better and moved on to gunfighter. I dont think I can go back. Even when the stage calls for split pistol shooting positions if there's a safe way to do it i'm moving with both guns in hands. Of course I shoot BP every chance I can! 

• Confused 2

Was about the same for me. Shot the first few matches two handed. Then went right to Duelist.

It just felt right.

Ended up shooting GFer for 5-6 years. I am a little to wild as a GFer.

So ended back at duelist.

Tried two handed again a few years ago. That only lasted two weekends. It's just not for me.

I've only recently started - June (Father's Day) was my first match, got 3 under my belt so far (and a bunch of practice sessions)...  Duelist for me all the way.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Well now that you’ve started walking (pistolero) start running with the big boys (gunfighters) we get to use two guns.:D

Here’s ours.

598ACB45-E28D-4AAD-B543-DE69B1AD0BF8.jpeg

I'm sure GF is in his future Yul, he's just easing his way towards it!;)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, M.T Chambers, SASS#76185 said:

I'm sure GF is in his future Yul, he's just easing his way towards it!;)

yup, especially with that $380 double strong rig i ordered 2 months ago (still waiting for it to be made, to my personal specs)

i don't like cross-draw...

question, can i shoot adjustable sights guns in duelist? i have a pair of 12" 58's I've been dying to try in a match!!!

4 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

question, can i shoot adjustable sights guns in duelist? i have a pair of 12" 58's I've been dying to try in a match!!!

Must shoot fixed sight revolvers  SHB pg 6

13 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

yup, especially with that $380 double strong rig i ordered 2 months ago (still waiting for it to be made, to my personal specs)

i don't like cross-draw...

You can shoot them duelist in your age based category though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'll use the 12's for a Josey Wales match...or...

New category!

Josey Wales duelist!!!

Edited by Boomstick Bruce

Josey Wales means  shot duelist or Gunfighter only so Josey Wales Duelist is a mute point. Good luck at the Appalachain Showdown.

7 hours ago, Marshal Stone, SASS #53366 said:

Duelist is coolist.

Marshal Stone

Nah, Classic Cowboy is cooler! :D

If he’s already shooting 45’s duelist style it’s just a short hop to CC!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

Josey Wales means  shot duelist or Gunfighter only so Josey Wales Duelist is a mute point. Good luck at the Appalachain Showdown.

Oh yeah, didn't think of that lol...

Are you coming this year???

Heck went to gun fighter but CN Double has already moved onto Wild Bunch Gunfighter.  Guy is a wonder but two blazing 1911s is something else.  I tell you folks he is shootin on a whole different level.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Marshal Stone, SASS #53366 said:

Duelist is coolist.

Marshal Stone

+ 1000000;)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

All the duelist categories are the coolist! Duelist, CC, FCD , Frontiersman and all the age based Duelist categories.;)

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 2

I'm recently moved to Duelist as well.  It's fun and has reduced my short cycle problem to zero ea match.  I plan to move to Gunfighter once I'm used to shooting with my left hand.  It just looks fun.

• Like 1

If I can find some electricity for my redneck camper than I will be there.

I won Duelist category at the WV showdown!!!

• Like 3

Congrats Boomstick Bruce. After 16 years of squawgrippin I just started shooting duelist in Jan of this year. Im shooting JW one handed for the Tn State Match, 5 pistols. I wonder if the Pistolero pins are still available.?.

Imis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Congrats Boomstick Bruce. After 16 years of squawgrippin I just started shooting duelist in Jan of this year. Im shooting JW one handed for the Tn State Match, 5 pistols. I wonder if the Pistolero pins are still available.?.

Imis

I only shot 2 matches duelist before the WV Showdown. One at the NRA as a joke with my 9 inch 47 Walker, my 12" Remington, my 2" snubbie Remington and the Walker with the snubbie barrel. My second duelist match I shot clean! 

What are these pistolero pins of which you speak???

Edited by Boomstick Bruce

When I went to check out the first CAS match,  I had a lot to come to know.  First impression that stuck me was, "What de'hell?  Cowboys didn't shoot with two hand hold.". Ok,  I got over that.  But I shot duelist for first year.  I practiced gunfighter at home for some of that year before switching over in a match.  

But,  two days ago I had a close call with a firewood processes that could have ended my shooting gunfighter.   I pinched my left hand between a block of firewood and the top corner of the wedge.  Blead pretty good where it poked a hole. Ripped some skin when I yanked my hand free.  But nothing broken or even deeply bruised.  Got a tetanus booster yesterday morning and putting salve on it. Avoiding doing any dirty work.  No washing dishes, that's for sure.  :rolleyes:

• Sad 1

I switched to duelist last November, and love every minute of it. I have been pressured to go gunfighter and have shot a couple monthly shoots as gf. Needless to say I will be sticking with duelist. 

You never saw John Wayne or Clint Eastwood using two hands. Duelist is far and away the coolest. Welcome back. :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

You never saw John Wayne or Clint Eastwood using two hands. Duelist is far and away the coolest. Welcome back. :D

Never saw 'em shooting gunfighter either!!:P :P

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

28 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Ahha...

Rifle and pistol count?

No need to join the ranks of Hollywierd's gunfighters... what you need to do is get rid of those suppository cylinders and shoot manly men's guns... Become a Frontiersman!  Cap guns develop character... if found lacking same, you'll go back to them suppository guns!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

You need to watch a few more of their movies then

Frontier Cartridge Duelist.  Find it hard to shoot smokeless anymore.

IMG_9101.JPG

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Griff said:

No need to join the ranks of Hollywierd's gunfighters... what you need to do is get rid of those suppository cylinders and shoot manly men's guns... Become a Frontiersman!  Cap guns develop character... if found lacking same, you'll go back to them suppository guns!

+ 1000 :)

3 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

You need to watch a few more of their movies then

But they won’t let me hold the reigns in my teeth, spin cock my 92 with one hand and shoot my pistols with the other. :D

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Haha 1