SASS Wire Forum

I Love Colorado!

I've been here 25 years. Took me a few to really get to know the hunting. Usually get a deer and elk, waterfowl hunting can be good too. We do have several CAS clubs here too.

Generally hunting opportunities in the SE are great, but I love the western pace and always wanted to elk hunt. My wife and I are wanting to plan out an elk hunt next year, for the both of us, but not sure where to start. 

The grain fed mulies here in Kansas are quite large and I've never seen a deer in Colorado that compared in body size. The elk in Colorado however, are frequently hugely magnificent! I have been lucky to see plenty of very impressive elk all over Colorado. I don't hunt 'em. I just love seeing them. Impressive and beautiful.

Me too. They are magnificent.

I have been around elk a bit on summer trips to Wyoming in Grand Teton, Yellowstone,  but mostly on pack trips into the Absarokas.

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

The grain fed mulies here in Kansas are quite large and I've never seen a deer in Colorado that compared in body size. The elk in Colorado however, are frequently hugely magnificent! I have been lucky to see plenty of very impressive elk all over Colorado. I don't hunt 'em. I just love seeing them. Impressive and beautiful.

We also have Whitetails.

6 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

We have mulies, white tail, black tail (aka Texas black tail), and something called Couies (?) deer.  See lots of all of them around except during deer season.

Coues are a subspecies of whitetail, are pretty small and definitely difficult to hunt.

11 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Generally hunting opportunities in the SE are great, but I love the western pace and always wanted to elk hunt. My wife and I are wanting to plan out an elk hunt next year, for the both of us, but not sure where to start. 

PM me if you want to discuss elk hunting here.

On 8/29/2019 at 7:49 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

We have mulies, white tail, black tail (aka Texas black tail), and something called Couies (?) deer.  See lots of all of them around except during deer season.

On 8/30/2019 at 1:59 AM, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Coues are a subspecies of whitetail, are pretty small and definitely difficult to hunt.

And remember... they are named after Dr Elliott Coues, a former U S Army surgeon and naturalist, who more or less discovered the species.  Dr Coues pronounced his name "Cows."  Not "Cooze."  ;)

Sorta like that whole Garand name thing...  :rolleyes:

Those in the know will pronounce it correctly.  Those who are not will pronounce it incorrectly and claim they're correct.  But we know they're not.  ^_^

Archived