SASS Wire Forum

First Match Shooting BP

Tequila Shooter

To start with see my previous post BP substitute first time loading to explain what got me here.  

Saturday I shot my first match in the Frontier Cartridge Duelist category, I loved it!  Was I good?  No.  Did I make smoke?  Like you wouldn't believe.  It's challenging changing not only shooting styles but also that and changing to BP at the same time, so I wasn't expecting much in the way of speed or accuracy.

Y'all were right, there were times that the smoke made it hard to see the targets and the guns got much dirtier than shooting smokeless, but it was worth it!  I felt like I was being true to the past since all they shot was what we now call BP.  I'm pretty sure that I'm preaching to the choir, but I LOVED the recoil and the sound, it was like night and day from the smokeless.

I'd like to thank everyone that helped me along the way, between coming up with cartridge and shotshell loads to just general encouragement to try it.  The only thing that I found different from what I was told was with the shotgun.  I used plastic wads and I didn't get any melted plastic in the chambers, we shot 5 stages with 4 shotgun targets in each stage, the gun got hot but lucky for me no melted plastic.  

Now I'm going to have to load more so I can shoot my next Frontier Cartridge match.  Once again thanks. 

You have been assimilated.  Glad the plastic snake skins did not grow in your shotgun.  If you still want to shoot subs, check with retailers who sell muzzleloading supplies.  They often liquidate their subs just after hunting season.

I keep telling my buddies that shoot real black powder that I'm going to load up some 44WCF or 45Colt and shoot a match with real black.  But I don't have the goopy bullets and too lazy to make any up.

Black Angus McPherson borrowed my POV camera glasses at last match on two stages.   He makes lots of flame!

15 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I keep telling my buddies that shoot real black powder that I'm going to load up some 44WCF or 45Colt and shoot a match with real black.  But I don't have the goopy bullets and too lazy to make any up.

Black Angus McPherson borrowed my POV camera glasses at last match on two stages.   He makes lots of flame!

I shoot "real" BP and I don't use "goopy" bullets...so...

Archived