SASS Wire Forum

Who has run a night shoot? Have questions

Trooper Ozzy

Not much information available; would like to have a simple 2 stage after dark at our multi-day.  Would be able to set up on an enclosed platform, shotgun targets reset by ropes, enough steel to run 2 stages from same location. 

Have seen kerosene globe lanterns hanging from shooting positions, a campfire midway downrange illuminating steel targets.  Battery LED lights at loading and unloading table?  Any other thoughts on painting targets with a different color?  Tips on illuminating targets slightly?  Assuming kerosene lanterns downrange are breakage from splatter waiting to happen. Could have a campfire midpoint downrange if that's the best way. Thanks in advance. 

The camp fire half way to the targets will blind the shooters unless it is blocked from their view.

If you use any lantern with a glass globe make a splatter shield out of hardware cloth covered with screen wire. Lanterns should be above and to the sides of the shooter so that they illuminate the sights but don't shine in the shooters eyes.

I like the road flare idea.  You can get flares that will last about 30 minutes. Use a shield so that the flare cannot be see from the firing line.

Remember that nothing kills your night vision faster than having to look directly at a light source.

Oh and make sure there is not a burn ban in effect.

Kerosene or electric lanterns inside white 5 gallon buckets are the best I found, placed down range of a hay bale or such so they are not visible to the shooter. Bucket protects them from splash and dims the light drastically.  

Red lights at load/unload tables. 

Easiest to do all knockdowns or paper, as you can’t spot steel unless you paint between shooters. 

We use solar powered LED spots. 2 on stage and 2 down range for rifle. They ain’t very bright but let you see sights/targets some. We also put a yellow or white border on targets. 

Tried kerosene lanterns and tikis but were too much hassle.  

We had a big construction light tower trailer. Set it up well behind the line. Pointed lights downrange. Targets were easy to see, and shooters were able to see to get around. Inter the match we turned them to light up the parking lot. 

We had some flashlights and low intensity lights at the loading/unloading  tables 

about 1/2 of us shot real BP. Lots of fire and smoke! So much for night vision!!!

it was a BLAST!!!!

We've had Blackpowder night shoots and they were a lot of fun.  First we used Red and blue light for the stage and load/unload tables. These do not interfere with night vision.  We painted the targets with a light blue paint.  You could also add a couple blue outdoor lights pointed down on outside corners of stage.  I used two stages and had made it into four.  We did this at the last two Southeast Regionals we hosted. Don't try to overthink it as it is pretty simple.  I have some videos but they are too large.

We did a night shoot at Eldorado last year with some help from Gawd Awful.

We stapled glow sticks to outline tables/ staging positions.

We used long burning road flares laid lengthwise (parallel with the firing line) with railroad ties lying adjacent in front to block direct sight of the flare.

The red glow afforded plenty of light for seeing plates and shooting.

The stages we chose were equipped with window/ door facades so the shooter had a very easy sight line to the targets and ability to find the next shooting position.

We used small LED lamps wrapped in red tissue paper at the loading /unloading tables.

We have had a combo Day-Night shoot for 5 or 6 years now. We set up our stages in the impact area of a trap range. The light for the trap range are about 50 yds behind the firing line. Our targets are white with red outline. Enough light for safety but still challenging and fun. We have lights or flashlights at loading tables and for brass picking. Spotting hasn't been a problem. We are in a valley and the smoke from the black powder shooters hangs low depending on air movement. Our system works for us and we have good attendance every year. People seem to really like it and we get positive comments. Only down side is that it ends rather late for people with a long drive home.

I like Tiki torches two or three feet in front of the targets. One torch for each set of targets (Rifle, Pistol, and Shotgun). if the target stands are short, shorten the Tiki torch poles. I all so like Red lights for loading and unloading tables. I feel the best target color is white with a black border and black X. The white is a good for low light and the black border and X gives good contrast in smoke.  

I just remembered I made a little video of the one night match I have been to.  We shot it on a night with a full moon and the video looks much darker than it really was.  We didn't keep score after the first stage and we just had fun.  I did learn that it is hard to shoot in the dark if you can't see your sights,  my home defense gun got a set of night sights shortly there after!

We use smudge pots down range in front of targets backed up to a log. You remember the black kerosene filled balls with the wick sticking out they used on highways in the old days. Looks like a cannon ball. Tiki lamps behind the shooting area. Lanterns at load, unloading tables.

5 hours ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

You remember the black kerosene filled balls with the wick sticking out they used on highways in the old days. Looks like a cannon ball. 

Oh, that brings back memories! 

I haven't seen one in probably 50+ years!  I'd forgotten about them.  I wonder where they all went?  There must be thousands out there someplace-- probably in some dusty agency warehouse.   If you have one, could you post a Pic? 

Thx in advance. DDD

The key is ensuring enough light at the LT/ULT.  We used rope lights strung around the 'roofs' of the tables so they were high enough and in the rafters that is had minimal impact to shooters vision.  Another thing I tried was a flashlight in a larger red plastic see through cup, it did not give enough light at the LT/ULT to safely load/clear guns.

I experimented with glow in the dark paint on the targets and even breaking open glow sticks and splattering on the targets, neither were great.

As Hoss pointed out above, the large light plant parked up range was great.  Provided enough light to move around the range safely, yet did not light up the targets too much to take away from it being a night shoot.

20279481_TotesStage2Still.thumb.jpg.6119c3e258ccae24df3930acfadcdcf0.jpg

Howdy Trooper Ozzy, we had a couple of NC State BP night shoots at Cross Creek Cowboys, they did  great job. Wireman rigged up some yellow spot lights behind hay bales on a dimmer switch, you could dial it in to just barley see the targets. I forget what they had at loading tables, but remember it did not affect the shooting line. Get a hold of Null N Void for more details. Good Luck:)

Was pondering this same thing and had an idea.  What about black light spotlights and targets painted with florescent / white paint with low level overhead lights (like those string type bistro lights) over the shooters for sights?  Black lights would keep the range dark and the targets bright.  You can also get clamp on lights with a shade for loading and unloading tables for like $10 ea.  Mount them low to keep out of shooters eyes or use a colored bulb. 

I wanted to note...  I'm a Halloween geek.  I use black lights sometimes in my yard decor.  Keeps it dark and creepy but anything hit with a florescent color is bright.  It seems like it would work great for a night shoot but it may have a creepy / carnival feel.  That's good or bad depending on vibe you want.   I think Spirit Halloween sells a string of 3 led black light spotlights for like $15 - $20.  1 string of 3 would be enough for a bay easy.  Get a string of another color and use them to light up any decor in the bay.

Here's the spot lights

https://www.spirithalloween.com/product/black-led-uv-spotlight/27607.uts

Here's the clamp lights

https://www.lowes.com/pd/ProTorch-1-Watt-Incandescent-Clamped-Work-Light/1000694664

We did several BP night shoots when we were doing Defend the Roost.  We tried about all of the above, and wound up with floodlights on the downrange side of the set, powered by a generator.  Lanterns on the loading and unloading tables.  We used black targets with white outlines.  You can aim the lights to have it as light or as dark as you want down range.  

1 hour ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

We did several BP night shoots when we were doing Defend the Roost.  We tried about all of the above, and wound up with floodlights on the downrange side of the set, powered by a generator.  Lanterns on the loading and unloading tables.  We used black targets with white outlines.  You can aim the lights to have it as light or as dark as you want down range.  

Yeah!  I became a Dammit Gang member at your shoot in '09. Below is an image of me with my Stoeger at that match. You can see the light illuminating the targets directly below the shotgun barre. Awesome match!

ZTIZQPH.jpg

On 8/26/2019 at 6:34 PM, Trooper Ozzy said:

Know them well...Toledo Torches.  Millions and millions.  Virtually all made by one company Toledo Pressed Steel Company.  Now they are a collectible.

I might be able to find some.

toledo torch.jpg

Thank you v. much.  It made my evening.  Lots of fond memories from that time period.  

17 hours ago, Croc Holiday said:

Was pondering this same thing and had an idea.  What about black light spotlights and targets painted with florescent / white paint with low level overhead lights (like those string type bistro lights) over the shooters for sights?  Black lights would keep the range dark and the targets bright.  You can also get clamp on lights with a shade for loading and unloading tables for like $10 ea.  Mount them low to keep out of shooters eyes or use a colored bulb. 

I think that's a great idea, was thinkin of it myself. Hope to do a night shoot soon and putting the plan together.

Would probably want plexi in front of the blacklight spots to prevent breakage.

Archived