SASS Wire Forum

Short stroke a 1860 Henry?

Does anyone know, will a short stroke kit for either a 66 or 73 work in a 1860 Henry, or would they need to be modified? Or does anyone make a short stroke kit for the 1860?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Thanks!

Yep, gamer, that’s me. I’m thinking about going from a pair of tuned Vaqueros and a full race 73 to a Henry and a pair of 58 Remingtons with conversion cylinders... sounds plumb gamey to me! :D :P :D 

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Gamer :P

Naw... a gamer is someone that actually practices. ;) My little brother actually practices with his Henry. How's that for super-gamer status. (I hope he reads this, hahahahahahahahaha!)

Or, a slang term for someone who never leaves the couch in their parent's basement in order to play video games in lieu of gainful employment.

:D

Hi Charlie Mac  :D

I'm gonna answer ya anyway.  So There :rolleyes:    Whilst gainfully (mostly gainfully) employed building Uberti Rifles for CAS, I installed Short Stroke kits and did action jobs on probably 25 or so 1860s.  They respond very well.  Since the internal lock works are exactly the same as Uberti 1866 and 1873, it's exactly the same setup.  I do suggest you replace the Magazine Spring with a Stainless item whilst you have it apart to change out/modify the rest of the springs.  

I personally campaign four Henry Rifles of various barrel lengths.  Capitol FUN B)

PS:  FORGOT ..... Also suggest you make a "Spacer" to go between your cartridge stack and the Follower.

26 minutes ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

Yep, gamer, that’s me. I’m thinking about going from a pair of tuned Vaqueros and a full race 73 to a Henry and a pair of 58 Remingtons with conversion cylinders... sounds plumb gamey to me! :D :P :D 

With full loads of the Holy Black as well?

Put a PGW Cowboys & Indians Store gen 3 kit in my .44-40 Uberti Henry. Marvelous! Been using the spacer stick for years. 

I can shoot BP in mine without a glove or leather wrap for the length of a 10 round rifle string. However, I need a rag or something to to carry it to the unloading table!

16 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

With full loads of the Holy Black as well?

Uhm, probably not. But one never knows what the future may hold... :D

Howdy

One does not need to be a gamer to want to put a short stroke kit into a Henry.

Here is a photo of an Iron Frame Henry with a mild short stroke kit in it. Notice the stroke is slightly shorter than a stock Uberti 1873. I have it on the best authority that putting in a mild short stroke kit will shorten the stroke just enough so that if one chooses to use a spacer stick in the magazine,

shortstroke_vs_regularstroke.jpg

Like this,

stick04.jpg

The tab on the bottom of the follower will stay far away enough from the frame that one never has to do the 'Henry Hop'.

Short%20Stroke%2001_zpsyb4iyerk.jpg

No need to add one of those silly hand guards that have just become legal, a leather glove works fine keeping the hand from getting burnt when shooting Black Powder on a hot summer day.

Black%20Powder%20Country%20Pond%20croppe

No, I never practice, and I always shoot full loads of Black Powder.

I seldom finish a stage in under a minute.

I think that pretty well disqualifies me from being a gamer.

6 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

One does not need to be a gamer to want to put a short stroke kit into a Henry.

Here is a photo of an Iron Frame Henry with a mild short stroke kit in it. Notice the stroke is slightly shorter than a stock Uberti 1873. I have it on the best authority that putting in a mild short stroke kit will shorten the stroke just enough so that if one chooses to use a spacer stick in the magazine,

shortstroke_vs_regularstroke.jpg

Like this,

stick04.jpg

The tab on the bottom of the follower will stay far away enough from the frame that one never has to do the 'Henry Hop'.

Short%20Stroke%2001_zpsyb4iyerk.jpg

No need to add one of those silly hand guards that have just become legal, a leather glove works fine keeping the hand from getting burnt when shooting Black Powder on a hot summer day.

Black%20Powder%20Country%20Pond%20croppe

No, I never practice, and I always shoot full loads of Black Powder.

I seldom finish a stage in under a minute.

I think that pretty well disqualifies me from being a gamer.

But it probably  qualifies you as a dirty player by the end of the day LOL 

I love my Henry with My two Open Top Colts and My Hammered Shotgun .

Im so slow it leaves them all choking for over a minute plus lol

Just sayn .

Rooster 

I shoot Classic Cowboy category and I’m getting slower as my arthritic wrists age so I’ve pretty much decided that I need to start working on style points instead of time, hence the idea of the Henry. But after some research and talking to friends I’ve about decided on a pair of open tops instead of 58’s to go with the Henry and my hammer double. Now I just need to somehow come up with the dinero to make my dream a reality! :D

3 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

Short stroked Henry compared to short stroked ‘73. 

48C2BFA2-B1E9-4372-9A46-909971D6E109.jpeg

That's some fancy tricked out Henry, with its buttoned on leather lever wrap and the short little wooden fore end. The stroke is shorter than on mine. When Happy Trails installed the short stroke in mine he asked if I wanted the 'wicked' short stroke or just a 'regular' short stroke. I said regular. No, I have no idea what specific short stroke links he used.

Anyway, I see the tab of the follower extending down at the end of the slot in your wooden fore end. Are you using some sort of spacer stick so the follower will push the last round onto the carrier?

27 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

That's some fancy tricked out Henry, with its buttoned on leather lever wrap and the short little wooden fore end. The stroke is shorter than on mine. When Happy Trails installed the short stroke in mine he asked if I wanted the 'wicked' short stroke or just a 'regular' short stroke. I said regular. No, I have no idea what specific short stroke links he used.

Anyway, I see the tab of the follower extending down at the end of the slot in your wooden fore end. Are you using some sort of spacer stick so the follower will push the last round onto the carrier?

Careful on the legality of that mod.

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Careful on the legality of that mod.

Is the spacer stick the mod that you're referring to, Phantom?  If so, PWC appears to have addressed that issue here:

I ain't Phantom, didn't stay in a Holiday Inn, but the mod Phantom questions is the slotted wood fore end and the Mag Follower with the Thumb Button removed on a front load Henry.  Neither of those mods is SASS approved   :ph34r:   Neat, but not approved.

4 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I ain't Phantom, didn't stay in a Holiday Inn, but the mod Phantom questions is the slotted wood fore end and the Mag Follower with the Thumb Button removed on a frond load Henry.  Neither of those mods is SASS approved   :ph34r:   Neat, but not approved.

CC,

The slotted wood fore end I see clearly (though admit I still don't know about the legality).

What are you looking at when you reference " the mag follower with the thumb button removed on a front load Henry"?

I'm not familiar with them. 

Chief  :)

The cartridge "Follower" for a Henry rifle has a large, very distinct round shape that protrudes from the magazine slot.  It allows the thumb to compress the magazine spring and unlock the Turn Barrel which uncovers the magazine tube for loading.  As it "follows" the cartridge stack, it can and will get fouled on the shooter's hand and fingers.  The cartridges then stop feeding and a sudden release can and has caused a magazine chain detonation.  To remove this distinctive "part" is an illegal external modification.  On a Front load Henry, that slotted fore stock is also an unapproved external modification.  Very Trix but illegal.

There were a number of "Transitional" Henry rifles imported by Taylors some time back.  The rifles included a side load "Kings Patent" loading gate and a very short sliding fore stock and no thumb button.  Those rifles were approved by SASS years ago.  There were only about 255 of them imported.

That Help??

Trying to look at the pictures on my phone, the little brass tab-looking piece inside the wooden fore grip looked like the tab on the follower to me.  Is it not?

I wonder if the wood will be allowed now that the leather wrap is legal? (Rhetorical question... I have no dog in the hunt and would keep it as designed if I bought a Henry.)

Appreciate the info.

Why not just use a '66 or '73 if you "need" a forearm?

6 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

There were a number of "Transitional" Henry rifles imported by Taylors some time back.  The rifles included a side load "Kings Patent" loading gate and a very short sliding fore stock and no thumb button.  Those rifles were approved by SASS years ago.  There were only about 255 of them imported.

Wow I never knew there were so few inported.  Oddly enough I know where at least five of them can be found. Unfortunately I don't own a single one of them.

20 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Driftwood, Yes there is a wooden spacer stick like the one you pictured in other posts so that the follower will push the cartridges onto the lifter.  I made another follower that has a 3/16” brass rod that fits the slot in the sliding wood fore end better than the thumb-button on the stock follower, function is the same though.  

I was was just trying to respond to Charlie McNeil’s original post asking if an 1860 Henry can be short-stroked.  I’ve already been soundly trashed in a previous post by Coffinmaker, Phantom and others about what they consider questionable modifications to my Henry (which I DON’T use in competition in that configuration).  But the question was about short strokes, answer - yes, Henrys can be short-stroked.

On 8/25/2019 at 4:56 PM, Dantankerous said:

Naw... a gamer is someone that actually practices. ;) My little brother actually practices with his Henry. How's that for super-gamer status. (I hope he reads this, hahahahahahahahaha!)

Or, a slang term for someone who never leaves the couch in their parent's basement in order to play video games in lieu of gainful employment.

:D

Practice?  What is this you speak of?  My Henry is untuned... No short stroke...and no spacer stick. :huh:

But I am going to just leave this picture right here Big Brother ;)

PSX_20190505_205611.thumb.jpg.e60739a379b440e9bab11832a8d90964.jpgPSX_20190505_205452.thumb.jpg.98db6699bcca79b9d9319823d3e3ec2f.jpg

I figgered you'd be along and post something to rub it in. :o

Pa always says yer a trifle sassy.

Yer still a gamer. :P

You just wait, I'm gaming, I'm mean practicing with my Henry now. Even though yer much younger and spry and fit, I'm gonna put the Henry whuppin' on you. :P Gonna do it while running my '87 too.

I hear tell our cousin is making plans as well to put you in your place. ^_^

Young'uns... ugh.

Taking this back to the top so’s a new shooter can get all this information and insight!

On 8/27/2019 at 1:50 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

state of confusion.

That's a pretty good Kinks album.  Underrated I think.

Archived