SASS Wire Forum

New vaqueros upgrade

Black RZR

2 hours ago, Black RZR said:

I'm gonna buy SBH hammers for my NV's . Also gonna get wolf spring kit.. what weight of springs do I need

By SBH hammers, what are you referring to? ( Dumb question I know, but just want to be clear.)  

I use the 14/30 spring set never had problem setting off primers. Have friend tried same and put original hammer spring back in because had 2 not set off. Wolff also has a 3 set of 14,15,and17 lb hammer springs you can get to customize a little closer to your need.

18 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

15lb should pop all primers

15's feel and work well for me. Trigger to your preference.

I prefer 17# but some people like 15.  I have seen where some of the faster shooters left the stock springs in because it gave a quicker hammer fall.  Just do what you like and you will probably be ok. 

When you put the new hammers in check to see if they rub the frame as they fall.  You might want to take a stone and smooth the sides of the frame so the hammer doesn't rub.  Other that fitting the hammer and spring kit there is not much more to do to NMV other than shoot them. 

I put SBH hammers in my 45 Colt NMV's and used the Wolff 15lb hammer springs, 100% ignition with my reloaded ammo and CCI primers.  No other work done to the guns other than 30 oz Wolff trigger spring.

19 hours ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Super Blackhawk

Thanks for clarifying.  It could also have stood for Shotgun Boogie Hammers, if you are short stroking.  

My concern was that two friends have found the Shotgun Boogie parts not to be fully drop-in, and to require substantial retiming adjustment.   After being worked over, they ran great, and to my knowledge, they're about the only commercially available wide-spur short-stroke NV hammers.   

7 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I like 19lb springs.  Faster lock time. B)

NMV std(from Ruger)hammer spring is 17 lbs.

Wolff Gunsprings doesn't make a 19lb for the NMV.......:huh:

I do run well used 19lb hammer springs in my OMV.....

Hammer springs do NOT interchange between the OMV and the NMV.

The trigger springs do interchange-NMV come stock with 30oz springs.

OLG

20 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Original Vaquero hammer springs DO interchange with late production New Vaquero’s without the key lock.

Good to know-;)

My wife's:wub: 2, NMVs had that dang lock(bought them 10 yrs ago)and I removed them.

Do you know when Ruger stopped installing the locks on the NMV?

OLG

Before the grenades get tossed my way, a bit of a disclaimer. I'm a fan of the SBH hammer. I've converted 2 of my original Vaqueros in 44 Mag over to them, a definite improvement over the as issued. I've also converted 2 of my BH's in 357 over to them as well. 

When I got my New Vaquero, instead of ordering a new SBH hammer for it right away, I decided to use it as is. Well not quite as is, I did put in a lighter trigger spring right off the hop. Then, during stages, I noticed if I had a hammer slip, it was with the SBH hammer, and usually the NV was good. The SBH hammer was better than the as issued, but I really couldn't find anything objectionable about the NV hammer. So I didn't change it.

Fast forward one season, I now shoot duelist, and again, the NV hammer runs nicer. Let's remember one other factor, the NV also has the smaller frame for the grips. So, I put the original hard rubber grip panels back on my BH's, and again, runs better. I wasn't about to buy new frames, narrower panels was an easy option.

The BH hammer and the original Vaquero hammer are the same, but it is not the same contour as the standard, non SASS, hammer. The NV hammer is shorter, has a recess in the hammer face so it clears the firing pin when the transfer is not in fire mode, and the spur is lower and extends back. The only hammer I don't have in my collection is a SASS Montado-style hammer, so, I'll not comment on it.

When Ruger revised the Vaquero, it changed a few features, the ones that most shooters were asking for, the old Blackhawk frame size and a Colt like hammer profile. 

If anything, I may install the NV hammers on my BH's, as the narrower hammer seems to run better, shooting duelist. 

YMMV: My well aged arthritic hands are more of an issue that my guns. And my shooting skills are in all likelihood more of an issue than the style or shape of the hammer. But for me, I find the standard NV hammer to be pretty good, it was a bit different from what I was used to, so a bit of practice was in order. Changing hammers is not a substitute for learning how to shoot. I learnt that one the hard way.

Bottom line, the NV hammer gets my vote, it works for me. If your thumb lands on it, it tends not to slip. Because it is narrower, I find that I can feel it a bit more than a wider hammer.

NNxKb7fm.jpg

This shows the revised profile of the NV hammer, as compared to the original Vaquero or Blackhawk hammer behind it.

7NcbKkkm.jpg

This shows the SBH hammer with the original Vaquero or Blackhawk hammer behind it.

On 8/26/2019 at 7:24 AM, "Big Boston" said:

Before the grenades get tossed my way, a bit of a disclaimer. I'm a fan of the SBH hammer. I've converted 2 of my original Vaqueros in 44 Mag over to them, a definite improvement over the as issued. I've also converted 2 of my BH's in 357 over to them as well. 

When I got my New Vaquero, instead of ordering a new SBH hammer for it right away, I decided to use it as is. Well not quite as is, I did put in a lighter trigger spring right off the hop. Then, during stages, I noticed if I had a hammer slip, it was with the SBH hammer, and usually the NV was good. The SBH hammer was better than the as issued, but I really couldn't find anything objectionable about the NV hammer. So I didn't change it.

Fast forward one season, I now shoot duelist, and again, the NV hammer runs nicer. Let's remember one other factor, the NV also has the smaller frame for the grips. So, I put the original hard rubber grip panels back on my BH's, and again, runs better. I wasn't about to buy new frames, narrower panels was an easy option.

The BH hammer and the original Vaquero hammer are the same, but it is not the same contour as the standard, non SASS, hammer. The NV hammer is shorter, has a recess in the hammer face so it clears the firing pin when the transfer is not in fire mode, and the spur is lower and extends back. The only hammer I don't have in my collection is a SASS Montado-style hammer, so, I'll not comment on it.

When Ruger revised the Vaquero, it changed a few features, the ones that most shooters were asking for, the old Blackhawk frame size and a Colt like hammer profile. 

If anything, I may install the NV hammers on my BH's, as the narrower hammer seems to run better, shooting duelist. 

YMMV: My well aged arthritic hands are more of an issue that my guns. And my shooting skills are in all likelihood more of an issue than the style or shape of the hammer. But for me, I find the standard NV hammer to be pretty good, it was a bit different from what I was used to, so a bit of practice was in order. Changing hammers is not a substitute for learning how to shoot. I learnt that one the hard way.

Bottom line, the NV hammer gets my vote, it works for me. If your thumb lands on it, it tends not to slip. Because it is narrower, I find that I can feel it a bit more than a wider hammer.

NNxKb7fm.jpg

This shows the revised profile of the NV hammer, as compared to the original Vaquero or Blackhawk hammer behind it.

7NcbKkkm.jpg

This shows the SBH hammer with the original Vaquero or Blackhawk hammer behind it.

Great pics.  Thank you.  

I ended up with 14 mainsprings. And my 30 oz trigger spring is on way. I ended up completely tearing down my pistols 3 or 4 times. With help of YouTube .it's a process I have no problem doing by memory now. Actually pretty easy. Right now with just main springs it's a big difference. Can't wait for those hammer springs

• 3 weeks later...

As promised or indicated in my reply, today I installed or more correctly, fitted a New Vaquero hammer into my Ruger Blackhawk. This one is a 6 1/2" Blackhawk convertible in 357/9mm (200th Liberty) and it is my main match left hipgun. I had previously upgraded it with a Wolff spring kit and installed a Super Blackhawk hammer.

mrViykMl.jpg

Nothing special, just a BH with a SBH hammer.

iCR9gT1l.jpg

This is the same hipgun with a New Vaquero hammer fitted. 

Notice, I did say fitted. The New Vaquero hammer is a bit larger in the base, and if you install it as it comes, it will jamb up your revolver, it will not work, you may not be able to tighten all the screws. Except for the spur, the original Vaquero hammer, the New Blackhawk hammer and the Super Blackhawk hammer are the same. The New Vaquero hammer is slightly different. 

0Xxba9Al.jpg

These are from left to right, a New Vaquero hammer, an original Vaquero or New Blackhawk hammer, and a Super Blackhawk hammer. The New Vaquero hammer is a fair bit bigger in the base. 

jhcNJWAl.jpg

Another view, and left to right, a New Vaquero hammer, a Super Blackhawk hammer and an original vaquero hammer.

mErxtVhl.jpg

Close-up, side view.

As you can imagine, I had to do a bit of grinding and filing to make it fit into my New Model Blackhawk. I don't know how a machinist would jig it up to re-profile it, but it has be be better than grinding and filing. I do have to figure out a way to grind on metal, I have the off part mastered, but just have a hard time stopping soon enough. 

Now for the business end, where the thumb goes. 

urLuRikl.jpg

And from left to right, a Super Blackhawk hammer, an original Vaquero hammer and a New Vaquero hammer

tQLsVPIl.jpg

Original Vaquero hammer in front  of a New Vaquero hammer..

YV61rCUl.jpg

A Super Blackhawk hammer in front of the New Vaquero hammer.

I'm anxious to see how BH 200 runs at the next meet. TTFN

thanks for these photos , i had always known of the proclaimed advantages of the hammer switch but this makes a clear visual statement of what those are with each , i needed to see it to fully understand it and i think there might be others like me reluctant to change things that are more enlightened as well , it sure helped me - great photos , 

I have a set of new model vaqueros. I put super Blackhawk hammers in them 14 pound wolf springs and 30 ounce trigger spring. I have shot them for one and a half years and had zero failure to fire on Winchester CCI Remington and federal primers. That combo has worked great for me 

Archived