SASS Wire Forum

Sammy Davis Jr Colt SAA and gun belt up for auction

Warden Callaway

He used to refer to himself as “A three time loser; a one eyed black Jew!”  Boy could he sing!  My wife saw him perform live a couple of times and rated him as one who truly enjoyed entertaining. And I’ve heard that he was among the very best gun handler, fast draw artists in Hollywood in his day.  Not surprised to see he collected some fine firearms. 

Seamus

Blind, but he lost the sight in his eye in an auto accident on I-10 in the Fontana-Bloomington area of California. The closest hospital was  in San Bernardino, California, the San Bernardino Community Hospital at the corner of 4th Street and Arrowhead Avenue. A wooden frame structure from the 20's. Mr. Davis received such good care and was so thankful that he was able to be cared for that when he learned of a need to update and move the hospital to other property in San Bernardino, he donated a very substantial amount of money to purchase the land. There is a plaque at the "new" San Bernardino Community Hospital on Muscott Avenue giving Mr. Davis recognition.

Howdy,

Any details like belt size or caliber or what is that wood for the grips.

I have a revolver those grips would look sooooo good.

Best

CR

2 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Any details like belt size or caliber or what is that wood for the grips.

I have a revolver those grips would look sooooo good.

Best

CR

Look up Lot No. 1309 on the Rock Island Auction web site.  It has all the details.

Here's the "official" posting:

Sammy's Colt

I couldn't find the belt size, but I'm pretty darned sure it wouldn't fit me!  :rolleyes:

Howdy,

Once I did find the listing(and it sure did take some work) the stock material was listed as other.

Real helpful.

After reading thru the description which has no highlights or indentations, just goes on and on

I finally got figured walnut out of the listing.

When they expect 85 hundred start bid you would think they would be more informative.

Way down in the text they mention the safety notch is broken. Cute.

Best

CR

1 hour ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Once I did find the listing(and it sure did take some work) the stock material was listed as other.

Real helpful.

After reading thru the description which has no highlights or indentations, just goes on and on

I finally got figured walnut out of the listing.

When they expect 85 hundred start bid you would think they would be more informative.

Best

CR

You missed the upper part of the description before all the PR about Sammy. 

Serial #

Manufacturer
Colt
Model
Single Action Army
Type
Revolver
Gauge
357 magnum
Catalog Page
Barrel
7 1/2 inch round
Finish
blue/gold
Grip
highly figured varnished walnut
Stock

Class
Curio & Relic Handgun

Rock Island will supply additional photos of any firearm you're interested in.  Having said that, if someone wants to spend a few thousands or more, a personal visit by a buyer or agent is probably a good idea.
Rating

3 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

He used to refer to himself as “A three time loser; a one eyed black Jew!”  Boy could he sing!  My wife saw him perform live a couple of times and rated him as one who truly enjoyed entertaining. And I’ve heard that he was among the very best gun handler, fast draw artists in Hollywood in his day.  Not surprised to see he collected some fine firearms. 

Seamus

Saw him in a golf tournament in Salt Lake.  The score keeper asked if he had a handicap..'Hey, I'm a, short, black, one-eyed Jew married to a white woman, and you want to know if I have a handicap?"

22 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Best

CR

Hey... at least it's been used ~ simple fix, and no need to have any reservations about taking it out and shooting it!!  ^_^

Can you imagine the looks it'd get at the loading table?  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what this might sell for?

In a GUNS magazime, back in the 70s, they were interviewing Davis. As they are walking through the house they come upon a SAA that has been framed and hung on the wall.

"Something special about that one?"

"That's Coop's gun."

So a gun owned both by Davis AND Gary Cooper. That might fetch more than 9200.

Archived