SASS Wire Forum

MLB’s Black and White uniforms this weekend

Utah Bob #35998

Seriously? Who thought this was a good idea?? :wacko:

About as goofy as a bunch of those names on the back of them.

13 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Seriously? Who thought this was a good idea?? :wacko:

Probably the marketing weenies thought it was a good idea.   I'm also thinking none of us who responded to this thread are the demographic they are trying to target.

I didn't see it since Fox Sports Southwest and Dish Network are feuding, but I listened to some of the Rangers vs. White Sox game, and the radio announcers were having a ball poking fun at them. Said the Rangers looked like a team of painters and the Sox looked just like the umpires.

JHC :lol:

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I didn't see it since Fox Sports Southwest and Dish Network are feuding, but I listened to some of the Rangers vs. White Sox game, and the radio announcers were having a ball poking fun at them. Said the Rangers looked like a team of painters and the Sox looked just like the umpires.

JHC :lol:

So, the White Sox were in BLACK.  100 years after the BLACK SOX scandal?

somebody should have had a Shoeless Joe Jersey.

MLB's way of trying to get the "millennials" interested in baseball! Have you been to a MLB stadium lately? Food choices are abundant and expensive as hell and there's even play areas for kids that won't watch the game! It's ridiculous, all about the money! These uniforms are MLB's way of trying to "connect" the players to the fans! Nicknames on the back, ugh!:angry:

32 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

MLB's way of trying to get the "millennials" interested in baseball! Have you been to a MLB stadium lately? Food choices are abundant and expensive as hell and there's even play areas for kids that won't watch the game! It's ridiculous, all about the money! These uniforms are MLB's way of trying to "connect" the players to the fans! Nicknames on the back, ugh!:angry:

Nah, they know that won’t happen.They do it on the Little League World Series weekend. Trying to get more kids interested in the game. Why they call it Player’s Weekend is beyond me. I don’t mind the nicknames but the black/white thing is the dumbest stunt since St. Louis Browns president Bill Veeck sent 3’ 7” Eddie Gaedel in to pinch hit in a game against Detroit in the 50s.

Well...on second thought the designated hitter rule was the dumbest. :D

Gotta love the game though. 

Rod Serling's intro to the Dodgers and the Yankees, as imagined in the shower after watching the game:  "Offered for your consideration one Mr. CC Sabathia, a starting left-handed pitcher for the New York Yankees, all 6 foot 6 and 300 pounds of him, about to take the mound against the Dodgers wearing a solid black uniform and size 20 red cleats. But this mound isn't in Chavez Ravine in Los Angeles, or anyplace else where the game of baseball has ever been played. CC Sabathia is all warmed up, and ready to toe the rubber -- in The Twilight Zone."

11 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Nah, they know that won’t happen.They do it on the Little League World Series weekend. Trying to get more kids interested in the game. Why they call it Player’s Weekend is beyond me. I don’t mind the nicknames but the black/white thing is the dumbest stunt since St. Louis Browns president Bill Veeck sent 3’ 7” Eddie Gaedel in to pinch hit in a game against Detroit in the 50s.

Well...on second thought the designated hitter rule was the dumbest. :D

Gotta love the game though. 

The millennials and also the group a little older,  whatever they're called, are the ones MLB is interested in because they have the money to spend and they have kids that are in little league. It's all a big push for more fans, can't blame them for that but this is kinda stupid!

I agree with the DH, I wish they would do away with it in the AL.:angry:

Remember the good old days, when everyone wore the same color uniform. You had two - one was solid and the other was pinstriped. You wore one color for home games and the other one for away games. And way to tell the teams apart was the color of your socks.

And remember how people screamed and hollered and said the world is coming to an end when the teams quit dressing like that.

33 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The millennials and also the group a little older,  whatever they're called, are the ones MLB is interested in because they have the money to spend and they have kids that are in little league. It's all a big push for more fans, can't blame them for that but this is kinda stupid!

I agree with the DH, I wish they would do away with it in the AL.:angry:

I keep forgetting it’s 2019 and Millenials are now breeding! :(

The black and white uniforms are just plain Jane dumb. Until MLB can figure out how to keep a 3 hour game from turning into a 4 hour game, attendance will continue to decline. The DH is here to stay I'm afraid.

The Tampa Bay Rays (who will play the Indians later this month) have the lowest attendance in the Majors. They wonder why. They keep blaming the stadium, I've been to the Dome to watch the game many times. There's nothing wrong with the stadium, who wouldn't want ac and a roof in the Florida summer. 

The real reasons are:

- As with most every sport, you get a helleva lot better seat on tv.

- They start gigging you the minute you get within 2 blocks from the stadium. In other words, the game tickets may be reasonable but everything else is downright

ridiculously priced and they don't accept cash.

- Stuart Steinberg keeps having stupid ideas about stuff like splittling the season between Montreal and Tampa Bay which has been divisive to say the  least. He won't 

spend the money on "A" team players as the Rays have the lowest payroll of all MLB teams. I'm not saying that we don't have some good/great players because we 

do.

- Fans get REAL TIRED of watching the team go into the 9th, way ahead and lose to completely inept closers that couldn't throw a hotdog down a hallway without     hitting both walls and the floor.

Rant over, what were we talking about again?

MLB should have taken all that money they spent on those stupid all-black, all-white uniforms and given it to any deserving charity.  Big money wasted if you ask me.

14 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

MLB should have taken all that money they spent on those stupid all-black, all-white uniforms and given it to any deserving charity.  Big money wasted if you ask me.

Game-worn, authenticated Players’ Weekend jerseys and batting helmets will be auctioned at MLB.com/auctions. All proceeds will be donated to the MLB-MLBPA Youth Development Foundation, a joint effort established in July 2015 by MLB and the MLBPA with an initial commitment of $30 million focused on improving the caliber, effectiveness and availability of amateur baseball and softball programs across the United States and Canada.

Also: "Authentic and replica Players’ Weekend caps, jerseys and socks are available at MLBShop.com." I hope they aren't planning on making a profit off that. I don't think sales will be brisk. :D :D

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Remember the good old days, when everyone wore the same color uniform. You had two - one was solid and the other was pinstriped. You wore one color for home games and the other one for away games. And way to tell the teams apart was the color of your socks.

And remember how people screamed and hollered and said the world is coming to an end when the teams quit dressing like that.

Home was white, away was grey.  Only the §¥£€ #@&# yankees were pinstriped, and that to try to make Babe Ruth look slimmer.

Archived