SASS Wire Forum

Satisfaction

Yul Lose

This afternoon I had to go into Escondido on an errand for my wife. On the way home I was stopped at a red light and the young man driving the car next to me was texting on his cell phone and I had noticed earlier that a little kid was standing up in the back seat. We were in a school zone and there was a police officer parked watching traffic and when the light changed I pulled up next to him and told him about the driver, the kid and the car color and model. He thanked me and pulled out heading the same way the car was going. I had to wait for some traffic to clear and then drove on up the road and sure enough the cop had him pulled over and the little kid was standing up in the back seat with his head out the window looking at the cop that was talking to his dad, I guess. Anyway,  hopefully he’ll learn a lesson or two.

My son's van was rear-ended, at a STOP Light,  by one such texting driver, last winter.

Fellow tried to say he slid on the ice, except the road was bare and dry, as noted by the responding officer.

Over $4500.00 damage to my son's van.

Had one in front of me at a red light. Sat still for over 30 seconds on green. I blew the horn and he flipped me off. Not realizing that there was a local PD cruiser sitting next to me. Blue lights and laughter for me. local ordinance, $250 for texting while driving and $500 for disorderly conduct. I love this town.

In Ontario Canada, messing with a GPS, using a hand-held phone or texting while driving was seen as a problem and the penalties have started to reflect how serious it is considered.

The fine, first offence is $615.00 if the ticket is paid within the time specified or $1000.00 if you wait for the summons or fight it in court and lose plus 3 demerit points on your drivers license and 3 days driving suspension.

And, it goes up from there for subsequent offences, basically doubling each time.

If a collision is involved, it will attract Careless Driving charges; if there are injuries or death, a 10 to 14 year prison term can be imposed.

LEO's in Ottawa have become quite creative at detecting offenders. One involves an officer, with a radio, riding in a bus, with a radio connecting to a "chase car".

The officer looks down into the cars beside the bus and radios the chase car to pull over any offenders and lay the charges.

Hands free phones and Bluetooth devices are excepted.

53 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

In Ontario Canada, messing with a GPS, using a hand-held phone or texting while driving was seen as a problem and the penalties have started to reflect how serious it is considered.

The fine, first offence is $615.00 if the ticket is paid within the time specified or $1000.00 if you wait for the summons or fight it in court and lose plus 3 demerit points on your drivers license and 3 days driving suspension.

And, it goes up from there for subsequent offences, basically doubling each time.

If a collision is involved, it will attract Careless Driving charges; if there are injuries or death, a 10 to 14 year prison term can be imposed.

LEO's in Ottawa have become quite creative at detecting offenders. One involves an officer, with a radio, riding in a bus, with a radio connecting to a "chase car".

The officer looks down into the cars beside the bus and radios the chase car to pull over any offenders and lay the charges.

Hands free phones and Bluetooth devices are excepted.

I wish this was nation wide here in the states!!

Years ago when riding my motorcycle I watched for cell phone antennas on cars to steer clear of idiots on phones. Now there is no way to tell.

I yelled at a woman the other day as my wife was driving me to the doctor. She’s busy texting away while driving. As we passed her I rolled my window down and screamed right into her window as we passed. I yelled “STOP TEXTING”. Scared the crap out of her. She threw her phone down and stopped texting.

I see this crap all the time. It really chaps my butt.

Pulled up behind a young-ish lady at a stop light. I could see in her side mirror that she was staring at her lap, likely a phone. We were there for maybe 30-40 seconds until the light changed. I figured I'd have to use my horn to get her to move, but she actually pulled ahead and turned left, as did I. Followed her a couple blocks to the nextlight, and NOT ONCE did she lift her head to look forward!! I see it all the time. I am often amazed there isn't more carnage on the roads!

Archived