SASS Wire Forum

NASCAR going anti-gun?

Lawdog Dago Dom

I'm an hour and a half from the big track in Ft Worth, Texas.  Not enough money to get me to sit out in the hot sun plus I've never watched more than a couple minutes on TV.   It was fun back in the 60's when bootleggers and their sons raced actual, real-life stock cars.

Non Athletic Sport Concerning All Rednecks

Quit watching after Jeff Gordon retired.

334083277_JeffGordonvsDaleEarnhart.png.6bd30262d3c70a9664caed943714dbbb.png

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

They still exist?

As far as I'm concerned NASCAR died with Dale.

I will go a bit further...

It died for me when Richard Petty retired.

NASCAR is all “corporate” with a bunch of spineless dirtbags and shills running it. The same goes for all the tracks and track owners. To hell with all of them. 

Despite what this particular “blog” claims, NASCAR still supports firearms sales and use!  They still welcome sponsors and put on events sponsored by portions of the firearms industry and IT’S supporters.

The line in the “blog” about Gander was misinformed as Gander has moved away from firearms.

Finally, any event or production that is open to the public, nationally televised, supported by the same folks who support our cause, has corporate backing in other arenas, and consistently brings huge revenues to the cities it visits, is NOT something to be dismissed with a “to hell with them”!!  I’m saying that even if you only ever liked one participant/driver, are bored by the action, have other interests that suit your fancy, or even if you just don’t like sports at all, “TO HELL WITH THEM” is as wrong as it gets when commenting on an activity that has been and continues to be a supporter of gun owners and shooting sports.

REMEMBER!! This is ONE person’s view and is the result of interaction with an AGENCY that handles, (or possibly mishandles) advertising for a huge corporation!

24 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The line in the “blog” about Gander was misinformed as Gander has moved away from firearms

Gander Outdoors still sell firearms and firearm accessories. I get an ad from them at least once a month specifically advertising firearms. Their sale prices are pretty good. 

I've never watched car racing on TV. It seemed a waste of time. But a friend of mine invited me to go to the car races one day. There's a dirt track about 50 miles away from here. He drove. He paid for us to get in. He bought us pit passes. And I was bored senseless after about 10 minutes.

There were two incidents then I found interesting.

This one guy got out on the track, and was going round and round. There wasn't anyone else on the track, but he apparently wanted to race, so he kept going. They couldn't run another race because this jerk had the track occupied. They eventually brought out four wreckers and blocked the track. When he stopped for the wreckers, a cop car pulled up right behind him. Cuffed him and stuffed him and took him away. One of the wreckers dragged his car off, and the races started up again.

The other one was an amateur powder puff race. "Ladies, if you want to try but you don't have a car, that's not a problem. We have several gentlemen here that are willing to lend you their cars." Like SASS shooters are willing to loan you their guns to try out the game. Cool. So this guy, who had not yet run the race he came there for, loaned this woman he had never seen before his car. And on the third lap she wrecked it. He not only had to pay to have his car fixed, but he did not even get to run in the race that he had paid to enter.

Those two little things were interesting.

But the rest --- drive fast, turn left --- was boring as hell.

6 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Gander Outdoors still sell firearms and firearm accessories. I get an ad from them at least once a month specifically advertising firearms. Their sale prices are pretty good. 

The Gander nearest to me has all but removed the gun department and has redirected its efforts toward camping and RV sales and service. 

As I said, moving away.

Well..... There ya go!

52 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Despite what this particular “blog” claims, NASCAR still supports firearms sales and use!  They still welcome sponsors and put on events sponsored by portions of the firearms industry and IT’S supporters.

The line in the “blog” about Gander was misinformed as Gander has moved away from firearms.

Finally, any event or production that is open to the public, nationally televised, supported by the same folks who support our cause, has corporate backing in other arenas, and consistently brings huge revenues to the cities it visits, is NOT something to be dismissed with a “to hell with them”!!  I’m saying that even if you only ever liked one participant/driver, are bored by the action, have other interests that suit your fancy, or even if you just don’t like sports at all, “TO HELL WITH THEM” is as wrong as it gets when commenting on an activity that has been and continues to be a supporter of gun owners and shooting sports.

REMEMBER!! This is ONE person’s view and is the result of interaction with an AGENCY that handles, (or possibly mishandles) advertising for a huge corporation!

Oh, my opinion is not because of one article. I stick by my opinion and my attitude towards NASCAR. 

No no offense meant to you, Blackwater. 

Not a NASCAR fan but I wish I was so it would matter when I threatened to stop watching.

but I'm not- watching NASCAR is so boring that I would rather sit outside in the driveway using a magnifying glass to burn off my toenails.

for what its worth, the Gander Outdoors in my area still sells scary looking guns AND scary looking magazines

22 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Oh, my opinion is not because of one article. I stick by my opinion and my attitude towards NASCAR. 

No no offense meant to you, Blackwater. 

No offense taken on my part.

The point I'm trying to make here is that NASCAR, or ANY legitimate entity that has, and still does, support lawful ownership and use of firearms shouldn't be discounted and CERTAINLY doesn't merit "TO HELL WITH THEM!!", regardless of your dislike.

WE NEED ALL THE FRIENDS WE CAN GET in this day and time!!  PARTICULARLY those with a national audience and a "family" image should be cultivated!!  I'd even take support from the PGA if they offered it!:rolleyes:  

(I can promise you that I dislike golf far more than you dislike NASCAR!!<_<)

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I was just at Gander yesterday and bought some shot gun shells, they had a ton of guns, in fact I bought a Ruger EDC last month there.

Never happen. They know their audience. It would be like Nike deciding to stop making basketball shoes.

It's always a possibility.  Remember when it was Winston Cup.   Who thought that would change.      GW

2 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

It's always a possibility.  Remember when it was Winston Cup.   Who thought that would change.      GW

Wasn’t there a tie in with Skoal smokeless tobacco a few years ago too?

38 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

And who would have thought they'd try to ban the rebel flag from races....I used to be a huge fan, haven't watched a race since.....<_<

Regardless of advertisers, or lack thereof..... I USE to be a BIG NASCAR fan from the muscle days of the 60's when

I was a young teen.

For whatever reason, I was drawn to Richard Petty and all the Mopar gang.   I had some close high school friends

that loved the Fords and some loved the Chevy's.

Every Monday morning was always interesting among our chit-chat sessions.   And Friday afternoons became

'bragging' sessions about our favorite heros.

No doubt, NASCAR took it on the chin when King Richard retired.   And, I ain't so sure many of US have ever

gotten over DALE.   I sure miss him still.

Darrel Waltrip was one of those 'love-hate' kind of guys.   

NASCAR has been a big bonding glue for many generations.

There had to be something special about driving fast and turning left..... ;)

..........Widder

In years past, all sorts of tobacco products sponsored teams and events throughout the auto/motor racing spectrum. Winston was the major corporate sponsor for NASCAR’s top division. Camel sponsored IMSA and motocross racing. Even Formula 1 had tobacco sponsorship! I worked for Winston, performing in some of the original infield music events in NASCAR.

All forms of sporting organizations used tobacco sponsorship and many have suffered losses in revenue in the vacuum created when the government began to prohibit tobacco commercials and public visibility in the production and presentation of any and all televised events.  Attendance and TV ratings have both spiraled downward since then. I don’t think that the losses are a result of tobacco no longer sponsoring sports, but it IS a result of a lack of financial backing that tobacco furnished.

When the money was there, a field of 43 cars would take the green flag and several teams would have to sit out because they didn’t qualify. Drag racing had to turn away teams in all three professional classes because there were more participants than spots in the brackets on any given weekend. Now these events struggle to fill a field and the sanctioning bodies have to come up with gimmicks like “stage points” and “playoff” series to try to draw interest.

Attendance in nearly every sporting endeavor has declined and even new sportsworld darlings like soccer and lacrosse aren’t filling stadiums or drawing viewer ratings like they used to!!

It’s just good business to support those who support you when those supporters are legitimate portions of the public’s visual landscape!

Tobacco’s removal from the public commercial and sponsorship diorama is a prime example of what can happen when support is taken away.

I'm just tickled at the idea that an organization that wastes colossal amounts of rubber and declares a winner as the person that pours fossil fuel exhaust fumes into the environment faster than the other competitors.

...if they were mandating clean cars or pushing for a shift to electric race cars - maybe I'd respect the sudden shift to NASJWCAR wokeness

I'm not sad to say I never found joy in watching cars drive in a circle anyway.  It would be good to hear NASJWCAR's position on a gradual shift to fighting climate change.

Once I was in a pizza parlor and they had a car race on the big screen. After the race the winning driver was interviewed, and as he spoke somebody just out of the camera was taking his cap off and replacing it with a new one every five seconds. STP Oil Treatment... Pennzoil... AutoZone... Champion Spark Plugs... a new hat for each sponsor. All had to get their five seconds on top of the head of the winner. :rolleyes:

So no, I don't watch ANY team sports. It's all about the money, nothing more.

2 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Once I was in a pizza parlor and they had a car race on the big screen. After the race the winning driver was interviewed, and as he spoke somebody just out of the camera was taking his cap off and replacing it with a new one every five seconds. STP Oil Treatment... Pennzoil... AutoZone... Champion Spark Plugs... a new hat for each sponsor. All had to get their five seconds on top of the head of the winner. :rolleyes:

So no, I don't watch ANY team sports. It's all about the money, nothing more.

It usually is about the money. I don’t think any of these teams are going to do it for free, it’s to expensive. You work for free, right? You don’t need money to live on? Do you know how many people it takes to keep these things racing? It might surprise you. My stepson used to race the SCORE, Best Of The Desert, BAJA 500 + 1,000 and others and it was a very expensive endeavor to keep three different classes of vehicles race ready and racing and they were always looking for sponsors. 

Just now, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I'm well aware they do this stuff for a profit. But do they have to make it so damn obvious? :huh:

Yes they do, that’s what the sponsors want. The reason they sponsor the race teams is so their name will be out there in front of people. Do you think they’d sponsor something like this if nobody knew they were involved?

John Force is undoubtedly the greatest professional drag race driver of all time!  He has won 16 NHRA World Championships and 150 National Events!!  John Force is likely the hardest working driver/team owner ever to grace motor sports!

YEARS before winning his first event, Force was given a sponsorship from Jolly Rancher Candies!  To my knowledge, he still receives support from them. The CEO of Jolly Rancher once commented that Force sold more candy than every other form of advertisement they had!!  There was always a race somewhere back then!  Little tracks would put on "Grudge Races" on weekends when there was no National or Regional event.  If Force was in the program, he also brought a car, (sometimes the actual car he was racing) to a shopping mall or a local event and handed out handfuls of Jolly Rancher candy and signed autographs for anyone who asked!  As a result, he has seldom had to go out and seek sponsorship, (this doesn't mean he hasn't worked very hard to get and keep sponsors!) and now he drives one car and owns three other cars in the top two professional classes of drag racing. Besides his own 16 Championships, he has nearly as many that were won by other drivers in his employ or by his daughter.  An effective, hard working business man doing his job well!!

The life blood of professional sports is sponsorship.  The NBA wouldn't be anything nearly as big without Nike, Under Armor, and GatorAde!!  NFL without sponsors??  Not so big! MLB??  UH uh!!  And don't forget the auto industry's support and that of the beverage and fast food companies!!  When you watch these other sports, you are bombarded by well placed signs and placards and by repeated commercials while you watch your TV!!  The drivers and crews for these motor sports teams have to speak up when they get on camera because you don't get the forced feeding of their contributing brands nearly as often, AND that's what these sponsors pay them to do!!

Know your fan base.

Dixie Chicks forgot that. Remember them?

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Know your fan base.

Dixie Chicks forgot that. Remember them?

That’s what’s so puzzling about NASCAR moving away from firearms sponsors. Nearly every NASCAR fan I know is very pro-gun also.

Archived