SASS Wire Forum

Tool Identification

Subdeacon Joe

Tell that to the invisible man in the picture.:lol:

It’s harder to teach the difference between a drill, a drill motor, and a bit.

A drill fits in a drill motor.  A bit goes in a brace.  Drills were developed to make holes in metals. Bits were invented to make holes in wood. Drills eventually developed into tools to make holes in other materials, including wood, but are NOT bits. There’s no such thing as a drill bit. “Drill bit” is a misnomer that became loosely, incorrectly accepted due to laziness and ignorance. 

My shop teachers would give you an F for the day if got these terms wrong and my metal fabrication instructor would likely throw a hammer at you for saying drill bit.

We have become way too lazy in our usage of language and terminology!  This causes lots of confusion, particularly when we exchange information with people who don’t speak “english”!

I know!! I know!!  Lighten up, Francis!!:rolleyes: :lol:

During Air Force boot camp, we took a one day course on the "Introduction to Technical Tools".  "This is a hammer, it is used to hammer nails into wood, notice the claw on it?  It is used to pull out nails..  One thing that I did learn was that a flat bladed screwdriver  is called a "Gordon" screwdriver to go along with the "Robertson" and the "Phillips" screwdrivers.  Other than on that course, I have never heard anyone ever call a flat bladed screwdriver a Gordon.  I'm sure that if you asked someone to hand you the Gordon screwdriver, you will get, "Hand you the WHAT???"

Archived