SASS Wire Forum

drives me batty when they leave them behind

Trigger Mike

I am watching "How The West Was Won" and it drives me crazy how Zeb Macahan just shot two men who beat up his nephew and were tracking his other nephew and he left their horses and guns.  Seems he could sell the guns and use the ammo and sell the horses.  I see it in most all westerns, where they kill someone out in the middle of the desert and leave their guns laying in the dirt.  

34 minutes ago, Catlow4697 said:

It's a movie  

So is Winchester '73, and Jimmy Stewart's character still told that Yankee sergeant to pick up the guns from all them dead Injuns.

31 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Taking their guns and horses may let the friends of the dead know who killed them.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

Connagher. He goes into a trading post wanting to swap 3 Winchesters. Wanted one of them sheep coats and a couple boxes of 44s. Got jumped by Apaches, and they were spoils of war.

Chancy. Killed the bad guy, and the bad guy's posse rode off. Picked up the bad guy's gun - a nearly new Colt with a fancy carved Ivory grip, and stuck it in his saddle bag. Later in the book he loses his, so takes that one outa his saddle bag and puts it in his holster. When he rides into town he immediately gets arrested, because everyone in town recognized that gun. It belong to their sheriff who had disappeared six months earlier.

People in the movies might take a bad guy out and sometimes they take his gun but never any ammo. Even if the guy’s wearing a vest with 10 extra mags.  But ARs will shoot 650 rounds a minute so you don’t need any mags right? :blink:

3 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Unless they bushwack you.

Kill em anyway. Duke would. :D

They only take the guns in a battle where they need it or to keep the enemy from getting them.  If the good guy strips the bad guy of his gun for monetary gain, it tarnishes the shooting.  Implying the death wasn’t just about defense or justice.  Putting a little bit of bounty hunter stigma on the white hat.

7 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Explains that one they found up in Montana or the Dakotas,  though.

This one found in Nevada got a lot of press.  Would be interesting to track how many others were found over the years and thrown out as scrap metal.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/news/articles/132-year-old-model-1873-found-against-a-tree-at-great-basin-nati.html

2 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

They only take the guns in a battle where they need it or to keep the enemy from getting them.  If the good guy strips the bad guy of his gun for monetary gain, it tarnishes the shooting.  Implying the death wasn’t just about defense or justice.  Putting a little bit of bounty hunter stigma on the white hat.

Sounds like something I left in California.

If movies and shows were realistic the police would be doing lots of paperwork and testifying in court. Super heroes wouldn’t have powers or funny outfits, Any elite crime fighting units would be disbanded after 2 episodes as they would be making the bureaucracy look bad. Westerns would be 1 hour and 59 minutes of sheer boredom and 1 minute of something interesting happening. And there wouldn’t be any music playing in the background to set the mood.

12 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I am watching "How The West Was Won" and it drives me crazy how Zeb Macahan just shot two men who beat up his nephew and were tracking his other nephew and he left their horses and guns.  Seems he could sell the guns and use the ammo and sell the horses.  I see it in most all westerns, where they kill someone out in the middle of the desert and leave their guns laying in the dirt.  

They left them to pay the undertaker, he can't do all them dead folks for nutten.

2 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Here's one time they should have left the guns (and other stuff) behind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv6rmmAk_Es

Please don’t post links that are full of adds that you can’t close or that are full of malware 

Years ago I read an article about John M. Browning.   Among the pictures,  they had a pry bar made from the barrel and receiver of one of the single shots he'd made before selling the design to Winchester.   Another of a barrel driven into heavy boulders to anchor a fence.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If movies and shows were realistic the police would be doing lots of paperwork and testifying in court. Super heroes wouldn’t have powers or funny outfits, Any elite crime fighting units would be disbanded after 2 episodes as they would be making the bureaucracy look bad. Westerns would be 1 hour and 59 minutes of sheer boredom and 1 minute of something interesting happening. And there wouldn’t be any music playing in the background to set the mood.

Don't forget that we'd be seeing everyone constantly going to the bathroom as well.

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Don't forget that we'd be seeing everyone constantly going to the bathroom as well.

Lesson one was never leave the station without stopping at the restroom because you never new when you were coming back 

2 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

I don’t get malware from the link, and don’t get any ads let alone ones that I can’t close. 

But thanks for the note. 

Sorry but I tried it again same result I never did get to video 

18 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

People in the movies might take a bad guy out and sometimes they take his gun but never any ammo. Even if the guy’s wearing a vest with 10 extra mags.  But ARs will shoot 650 rounds a minute so you don’t need any mags right? :blink:

I never got over 600.

7 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Please don’t post links that are full of adds that you can’t close or that are full of malware 

Henry, try running a scan with your security program - the link works; it's just a YouTube clip from Silverado, following a short trailer for an upcoming movie.  You might already have the malware from another source.  :(

Archived