SASS Wire Forum

Does anyone shoot nothing but BRASS SHOTGUN SHELL?

Pit Bull Tex

Thought I would try just brass and see how in work out.I have five boxes of the ones that use large pistol primers and two boxes that use the shot gun primers.They clean up easy and they load easy.Use the same load in both kind but add a little more fiber wad in the long ones.

IMG_2852.JPG

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

I’ve got a bunch of 16 gauge brass shells and am getting ready to load a bunch. Do you load smokeless or BP? Any tips you’d like to share? Thanks.

17 gr. of Clays.Took me a long time to get them to shoot The nitro cards and the fiber wads and the over shot cards,

4 minutes ago, WildBillHimself, SASS #5863 said:

I'd like to try the brass shells but the only ones I've found for sale use the pistol primers. Where do you find the ones that use shotgun primers?

Thanks.

Don't think anyone makes them anymore. Rocky Mountain Cartridge used, but not sure they're in business; they were very expensive. What's wrong with Large Pistol Primers?

The large mag. pistol primer work.I like the shotgun   primers better but the large pistol mag primers work.I reprime them on my mic grabber.I made two parts that let me put the large pistol primers in the hulls.

12 minutes ago, Pit Bull Tex said:

The large mag. pistol primer work.I like the shotgun   primers better but the large pistol mag primers work.I reprime them on my mic grabber.I made two parts that let me put the large pistol primers in the hulls.

Do you enlarge the flash holes to use the large pistol primers or do the factory holes work well?

I run a 1/16" drill bit through them.Some are a little smaller than others.Some the 1 /16" goes right through them.

I never had a problem with large pistol primers.  But I've never loaded with smokeless.   

The large pistol primer pockets could be deepened to large rifle size.  Maybe a magnum large rifle primer will give the extra firepower?

Maybe there is enough material to enlarge to 50 BMG primer size?

Why do you need the extra firepower? This is SASS, not goose hunting.

I just switched over to brass shotgun shells only this year. All my shells use the large pistol primer and no issues at all. I have tried some subs but prefer the real black because of the flame. 70 grains of FF with 1oz of shot is what I enjoyed the most.. Loading them has been fun and doesn't take that much time to make up 25 rounds for the next shoot. I keep 100 total loaded just in case a fellow shooter wants to try out the brass shells before buying some. May shoot plastic this winter depending on range conditions. The brass pickers don't like picking up the brass shells with their handsite  because they are hot. I have about 200 rounds which should last me for awile. DC

I cant say I only use brass hulls but it's the majority of what I use. Love how easily they shuck. I've trimmed a bunch down to 2.25" and use a slight roll crimp and they cycle through my pw87 pretty well. The ones I have all use lrg pistol primers and I havent had an issue. but I do run magnum primers in them. The only issue i've ran into is finding the right load. I was blowing holes in the pattern with the fiberwad. 

I’ve been shooting a square load 1oz shot with real BP or 777. I like shooting them, but don’t find they shuck as well. 

I did did buy a priming tool to squish the primers in. 

You can make two parts and prime the brass shell on your mec loader.The dark ones are the stock parts and the shiny ones are the ones I made.You use the same spring.

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

Archived