SASS Wire Forum

1878 Hammer Guns

SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER

Just in case anyone has been looking for a 1878 Hammered shotgun, they are back in stock at Cimarron, or local dealers can get you one 

Just so you know.  The "Deluxe" 1878's in stock now at Cimarron are not the same gun as the former "TTN" from China (which are still on order).  These checkered models are made by Daudson in Pakistan.  Cimarron has carried Daudson hammerless shotguns for several years.   I think it will be a nice looking shotgun, but how it compares to the Chinese gun will remain to be seen.  I look forward to some reviews.

FYI, the model number for the Chinese gun is 1878CG, and the Daudson shotguns have a model number beginning with "DA" and also cost approximately $150 more than the Chinese gun.

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Just so you know.  The "Deluxe" 1878's in stock now at Cimarron are not the same gun as the former "TTN" from China (which are still on order).  These checkered models are made by Daudson in Pakistan.  Cimarron has carried Daudson hammerless shotguns for several years.   I think it will be a nice looking shotgun, but how it compares to the Chinese gun will remain to be seen.  I look forward to some reviews.

FYI, the model number for the Chinese gun is 1878CG, and the Daudson shotguns have a model number beginning with "DA" and also cost approximately $150 more than the Chinese gun.

Are they also a copy of the Colt 1878?  

18 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Are they also a copy of the Colt 1878?  

That's what they say.  I saw the very first prototype several years ago.  The hammers were further apart and there was less drop to the stock on that one compared to TTN, (plus it was case-colored), but Daudson did not have a sample gun and so built that one entirely from  photographs.  I have not seen one of these new ones.

8 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

That's what they say.  I saw the very first prototype several years ago.  The hammers were further apart and there was less drop to the stock on that one compared to TTN, (plus it was case-colored), but Daudson did not have a sample gun and so built that one entirely from  photographs.  I have not seen one of these new ones.

5ac3a6d854cd1_ColtshotgunsApril2018.jpg.5da82b9d112306c873e8c43e28e276d1.jpg

They didn't call me.  I have an original in 12 (on right) and 10 (on left). 

6 minutes ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

If the current 1878's that are available are made in Pakistan I am glad I found out now.

Pakistan has a long history of gun making. 

If Cimarron would send me one,  I'd try it out and video review.

Warden, I used to wonder if the originals had the big hammers close together like the TTN, but the photos you have posted here and there have showed that they are pretty similar.

6 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Warden, I used to wonder if the originals had the big hammers close together like the TTN, but the photos you have posted here and there have showed that they are pretty similar.

599d18123eef9_CimarronvsColt1878lockAugust2017.jpg.1f556c800de678bd30085cae6a0f3e6a.jpg

Real simular.  The locks are about an exact replica. 

5a4b579ba20b2_Cimarron1878withColt1878Jan2018.jpg.cdc0dea092914e0e1c8ffb886ffb22fb.jpg

12 gauge Colt over Cimarron.  The wood in the Colt is updated before I got it and not exactly like original. 

511054961_1878ColtandCimarronAug2018.jpg.39cd68f1a9e878bb10517c4b2dd883f6.jpg

Cimarron over Colt 10 gauge.  New wood but more like the original.   It's a higher grade model. 

The action lockuo on the Cimarron has been simplified.

Here are some new Cimarron/Daudson Armory 1878's.  It feels lighter and trimmer than the China 78', also the pistol grip stock is much thinner in that area.  The quality of the fit/finish on the Chinese 78' was dropping in recent shipments.  The fit and finish on these are ~ok.  2 3/4" chamber

Only time will tell how well they hold up.  I have not put any firing use on one yet, I just got these today.  

20190823_141958.jpg

20190823_143446.jpg

20190823_141342.jpg

20190823_141516.jpg

20190823_141704.jpg

20190823_144843.jpg

13 hours ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

Here's hoping that the new Pakistan guns are better made than the 1883 that Cimarron got from them 4 or 5 years ago.

J.M.

I had the same exact thoughts.

16 hours ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

Here's hoping that the new Pakistan guns are better made than the 1883 that Cimarron got from them 4 or 5 years ago.

J.M.

3 hours ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

I had the same exact thoughts.

Same here...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, was just curious if anyone might have any updates on this "deluxe" model, Im really interested in getting one, because id like to not put the stress on my original. I have to admit I'm leery of the "Made in Pakistan" part but then again i was also leery "made in china" part on the original 1878 copy that cimarron came out with. 

I have the Deluxe model and love it after shooting it in a couple monthly matches. I’ve shot a TTN for 12+ years, the Cimarron is a great improvement over the TTN. A splinter forend and a slimmer grip makes it handle close to my SKB 100. It does not break open as far as a TTN does either. I noticed Longhunter posted he would be offering them with an action job so I got in touch for particulars and ordered one. Got in in about 3 weeks. It is awesome. Taking it to the Midwest Regional next week. 

Hey Barleycorn  :)

Yepper!!  I had one of the Pioneer Hammer Doubles for a while.  The thing was a TANK.  Really well made.  Heavy as a TANK.  Big like a TANK.  Heavy barrels like a TANK.  Nice short barrels though.  I thought the gun was very very well made .... but .... way huge.  Sold it on.  My current high end Hammer Double is a Pedersoli.  Then I have two TTN, an Antique J P Sauer and an Antique Husqvarna.  Likes Hammer Doubles he does.

On 9/15/2019 at 4:06 PM, Pit Mule said:

I have the Deluxe model and love it after shooting it in a couple monthly matches. I’ve shot a TTN for 12+ years, the Cimarron is a great improvement over the TTN. A splinter forend and a slimmer grip makes it handle close to my SKB 100. It does not break open as far as a TTN does either. I noticed Longhunter posted he would be offering them with an action job so I got in touch for particulars and ordered one. Got in in about 3 weeks. It is awesome. Taking it to the Midwest Regional next week. 

that's awesome news and what i was hoping to hear. ill be ordering one with 26" barrels. and loading some 00 buck & black powder just for funzies

Archived