SASS Wire Forum

Walch 12 shot Navy pistol

Rye Miles #13621

I'm reading a Louis L'Amour book called " Showdown at Yellow Butte", in it the main character has one of these:

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/ria-walch-navy-12-shot-revolver/

Pretty cool!B)

346244724_RyeMiles.png.b150131143880c2107d6b002154aba58.png @Rye Miles #13621,

I've always been fascinated by these type of firearms.

Thanks for the post. 

Unfortunately your link resulted in the following, (at least for me):

1808755495_YourConnectionisnotprivate.png.0f7433245befed28cb25ccc3d3fb9993.png

I was able to find it here, just in case anyone else had the same issue.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/take-a-look-at-the-rare-walch-navy-12-shot-revolver-of-1859/

Just now, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

346244724_RyeMiles.png.b150131143880c2107d6b002154aba58.png @Rye Miles #13621,

I've always been fascinated by these type of firearms.

Thanks for the post. 

Unfortunately your link resulted in the following, (at least for me):

1808755495_YourConnectionisnotprivate.png.0f7433245befed28cb25ccc3d3fb9993.png

I was able to find it here, just in case anyone else had the same issue.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/take-a-look-at-the-rare-walch-navy-12-shot-revolver-of-1859/

My link works just fine, it goes right to Forgotten Weapons and I also put it on Facebook in Wheel gun Fun and it posted fine! Must be your computer or search engine!

Rye - I remember that gun in two of his books.

In one, Utah Blain wears a pair of S&W Russians all through the book, but for the climactic battle he digs a pair of Walches out of his gear, giving him 24 shots instead of 12.

Was that Yellow Butte?

I don't remember what was going on with the other one, just that it was mentioned. I have no idea which book.

In one Jean Talon, shipwright, came down from Canada to build steamboats on the Ohio. He had a pair of Collier flintlock revolvers.

main-image.jpg

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Rye - I remember that gun in two of his books.

In one, Utah Blain wears a pair of S&W Russians all through the book, but for the climactic battle he digs a pair of Walches out of his gear, giving him 24 shots instead of 12.

Was that Yellow Butte?

I don't remember what was going on with the other one, just that it was mentioned. I have no idea which book.

In one Jean Talon, shipwright, came down from Canada to build steamboats on the Ohio. He had a pair of Collier flintlock revolvers.

main-image.jpg

Yes, Showdown at Yellow Butte, he has a pair of S&W Russian .44’s and this 12 shot as a backup!! Tom Kendrick is the main guy. I’m reading it now.

Interesting. I've read most if not all of LL's stuff, remember reading of those, never seen anything about them otherwise. Doesn't look real practical. I guess it wasn't if they only made 200.

JHC

I’ve wanted one of these ever since I read the Yellow Butte years ago!

I doubt I’ll ever have the funds when one is available.  One would wish that someone would reproduce some for public consumption, but considering the market, that’s highly unlikely!

1 minute ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I wonder how many got blown up.

I’ve wondered that too!  I’m thinking that maybe since the loads were so low powered, maybe they were more likely to just squib and lock up.

20 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

SASS legal? Show up on the line with one gun! How cool

I doubt you’d be allowed to fully load one up, but loading five rounds only might let you at least shoot it.

Would be a cool twist!!

Archived