SASS Wire Forum

Monthly matches-practice or competition?

Kirk James

Howdy

What is this 'practice' that you speak of?

I never practice for CAS. I might bring a new gun to the range to try it out, or to try out a new load, but that's it.

I don't go to the big matches anymore. Too lazy to drive that far. Even when I did, I didn't shoot them any differently than I shoot a regular monthly match.

My goal is to get a clean match. Period.

If I shoot a stage in under a minute, I'm happy. Yes, I did say under a minute. There is no rush, I walk from firing line to firing line. If I have to bob and weave between shots to see the targets, that slows me down too.

I usually come in last or almost last in every match I go to.

Suits me fine.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:43 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Then there are those times I show up at a match and feel like I'm ready to put it all

together and try to mix it up with the competition.

My desire is to stay focused and yet enjoy being around friends and hoping they do well also.

I don't like my competition to falter.  I want them to be at their best, which normally pushes

me to be at my best.

..........Widder

Exactly!!!

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Monthly matches are all I've got...I've only been shooting for a year or so, and I'm not going to be traveling to any big shoots. (a little work and tied to a machine at night for health) Every month gets harder also..so I appreciate each month even more.I'd say it is neither for me...After my wife and kid-it's the one thing I look forward to. Heck...I don't even really compete with myself! Last month was the first time I ever shot clean, and I didn't realize thats what I was trying to do until about the 5th stage-then shocked myself at the end of the 6th!

Monthly matches make our sport.  For whatever reason you shoot, they keep us interested and involved much of the year.  I am always grateful for the hard working individuals who keep us going.  For years I have used them to try new techniques, have fun with the kids, shoot for the silver (shooting all year for club awards), finding my edge as well as where to back it off of it for big matches and many others.   Whether you like the old days, new days, big and short or small and far it is as challenging as you want to make it.  Whether you use them for practice, competition or both, you have a place to shoot.  There is a club to meet your needs and hopefully you do not to travel long distances to find it. I am sure it is different from club to club, but I rarely hear individuals complain about their monthlies.  We all appreciate a place to shoot, have been robbed by spotters, disagreed with something or another.  But remember the thousands of great experiences you have had, the friends you've made and it is worth it to most.  Again, I appreciate all of you that work to keep our monthly matches and  SASS alive.

52 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Competition! Even when I'm practicing at home it's a competition with myself. That's not to say I'm not trying to have fun, cause I do. Heck, sometimes driving to the range turns into a competition.

Especially if I see a Mustang, Charger or Challenger on the way.  Sharyn is unhappy that my car doesn't come with an "oh ***** bar".

38 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Especially if I see a Mustang, Charger or Challenger on the way.  Sharyn is unhappy that my car doesn't come with an "oh ***** bar".

I know the feeling! I'm waiting on my Chevelle to get finished at the shop so I can paint it and get it back on the road. I may need to invest in a 5 pt harness!

On 8/22/2019 at 6:54 PM, Doc Shapiro said:

This is a very complex question.  There's so much that goes on between the ears.  The answer to monthly's practice or competition or fun is really YES.  How do you handle the pressure if you call it "competition"?  How does your approach change when it's "practice"?  How does your attitude change when it's "for fun"?  I could probably write a long essay on this.  But it really boils down to what do you do to yourself depending on your approach? 

Or is it a better approach to just go to the match and shoot and have fun?  Frankly, the most mental calmness generally comes from that.  Regardless of whether it's a monthly or EOT.  Everyone is different.  Figure out what works for you and don't worry about the rest.  They're outside your control.

Doc

:)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

6 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Nice!  What color, how many doors and is it a 327 or a 283?  Pics!  SS?

Light blue metallic right now, but it may change. I removed and replace every wire in it, along with the 327. I have installed a full roller 406 with all forged internals. I'll probably need to calculate gallons per mile instead of miles per gallon. Its a 2dr hardtop. No pics right now. Just the one of it on the way to the shop.

20190610_151226.jpg

I look at this sport like I look at golf.  I'm not competing against the other shooters, I'm competing against myself.  I only shoot one large match every years, so I look at monthly as a mark for improvement.  I set goals for myself every year.  For example, my goal for myself for this year is to shoot an average of sub 30 second stages,

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

That's going to clean up nicely TW.  I like it.  You going with a 4 on the floor?

No, My 67 camaro had a 4 speed though. Right now just a 350 turbo but have a new 200 4r for it. It came out of a diesel so should hold up. I hope.

Archived