SASS Wire Forum

"Oh, It's Not Loaded!"

Subdeacon Joe

Found on FB.  Always a good reminder that not everyone has working brain cells.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Nikoesht

This is at my local shop/ hangout. Now I know there’s always talk of “booger hooks” and “bang switches” and I’ll be quite honest I find it just as annoying as the next fellow and it does make you sound silly. But that being said it’s not the 99% of folk with common sense that make that phrase somewhat relevant. It’s that 1% of people who just don’t think/ pay attention or use common safety sense that ruin it for the rest of us. So remember yes that’s dumb, and yes you should say it differently. But not everyone has the common sense you do, and never take their word on a firearm’s status. I like to be as silly as the next guy, but when around strangers it’s nice to go above and beyond and make a show of being extra safe. I’ve seen too many people get hurt by being careless and wouldn’t want any of you friends to be added to that list! Can’t fight at your prime in the Big Igloo if you’re a cripple or dead!

I first heard "Keep your booger hook off the bang switch" in the military. Silly? Perhaps, but it gets the point across, and that's the point.

And yes, I've checked and unloaded a good number of "unloaded" firearms when working behind the gun counter.

Its always the "unloaded" gun that causes the accident, no?

Unloaded guns can be dangerous.

1 hour ago, Smoken D said:

Unloaded guns can be dangerous.

Guns, loaded or unloaded, by themselves are not dangerous.

;)

My Dad preached this lesson to me from the time I was old enough for a BB gun.

"It is the unloaded gun that kills somebody."

He called me into his bedroom and gave me the lecture when I was preparing to crawl the brush on a prairie dog hunt.
To prove his point, he reached into his gun case, hauled out his '06 and said, "Now I know this rifle is not loaded.."  and proceeded to shoot a hole in his bedroom floor.

An '06 in a 20x20 room is loud, to say the least.
That was nearly 60 years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

Just before he passed away, I visited and commented about him getting the bedroom floor fixed.
Dad: "You never forgot that, did you?"
Me:  ( the light finally dawns one me), "You S.O.B. you did that ON PURPOSE!"

As it turned out, his bedroom floor was directly over the coal bin, so that bullet stopped somewhere in that huge pile of coal.
Many years later, we came to clean up after he passed away.
From the coal bin, I could still see the rip in the floor where the bullet passed through.

I worked part time at a gun shop/range for about 10yrs. I checked “unloaded” guns that were loaded quite few times. !! Scary stuff!

56 minutes ago, bgavin said:

My Dad preached this lesson to me from the time I was old enough for a BB gun.

"It is the unloaded gun that kills somebody."

He called me into his bedroom and gave me the lecture when I was preparing to crawl the brush on a prairie dog hunt.
To prove his point, he reached into his gun case, hauled out his '06 and said, "Now I know this rifle is not loaded.."  and proceeded to shoot a hole in his bedroom floor.

An '06 in a 20x20 room is loud, to say the least.
That was nearly 60 years ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

Just before he passed away, I visited and commented about him getting the bedroom floor fixed.
Me:  ( the light finally dawns one me), "You S.O.B. you did that ON PURPOSE!"

As it turned out, his bedroom floor was directly over the coal bin, so that bullet stopped somewhere in that huge pile of coal.
Many years later, we came to clean up after he passed away.
From the coal bin, I could still see the rip in the floor where the bullet passed through.

The least he could've done was set his example with something less likely to blow your eardrums out. :wacko:

I assume everybody has already seen this but.....

Always a good one.

Oops!

Archived