SASS Wire Forum

Timely emergency notification

1759 hours, tv running in the other room, suddenly three long blasts from the EAS, Emergency Alert System, the thing that usually wakes me up around three am when I’ve left the tv on. “A tornado warning has been issued for the following areas (now 6pm) blah blah blah “until 6 pm. This alert was issued at 5:45 pm by the NWS”

If that’s the way EAS works I am glad it was never activated as ICBMs we’re coming over the North Pole.

41 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

1759 hours, tv running in the other room, suddenly three long blasts from the EAS, Emergency Alert System, the thing that usually wakes me up around three am when I’ve left the tv on. “A tornado warning has been issued for the following areas (now 6pm) blah blah blah “until 6 pm. This alert was issued at 5:45 pm by the NWS”

If that’s the way EAS works I am glad it was never activated as ICBMs we’re coming over the North Pole.

Enough to say amen and kiss your XXX good bye...

Texas Lizard

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

You wouldn’t have heard it...2 minutes beyond crispy! :D

19 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Unless you have a nuke proof bunker there's not a helluva you can do about it nohow. I think I'd as soon not know it's coming. If TSHTF I'm not sure I want to survive anyway.

JHC

That brought back a memory from the past!
Many moon ago (about 1981 or 82) when I was in was about 20 and lived in central Arkansas (tornado country) on a Sunday afternoon most of the state was under a tornado watch and a few tornado warnings had been issued for other areas of the state. I had just left a gas station when the radio blast out the Emergency Broadcast System tone. Expecting to hear the issuing of another tornado warning I was waiting to here the DJ tell where the warning was being issued.

The tone played a little longer than normal and then a voice (not the DJ) started saying "This is a national emergency, please stay tuned for further instructions". WELL now that is not what I expected to hear!
The message repeats and now the panic starts to hit me. A tornado I can deal with but a nuke on the way, that's a different critter a together.

Growing up in the cold war era with the emergency drills in school and a fall out shelter under my old high school, all I could think was "I have about 12 minutes to get to the church where my girlfriend was and then over to the high school where the shelter was before things start to get out of control"

As the message is repeating it takes a weird turn "This is a national emergency, please stay tu.........Wait, Wait it only a tornado!"
With the adrenaline rush I was having at the moment no tornado was going to scare me. Bring it on!

I am sure there were others who were listening to that radio station that had the similar thoughts that afternoon.

Uno has NWS emergency alerts on his phone.  Every time we have a severe thunderstorm or other severe weather it rings.

Last Saturday, we had a severe thunderstorm overhead.  Thunder so strong the house shook.  About 10 minutes into the storm, the weather alert chimed on his phone "Lightening Detected In Your Area".  The only thing we could think, as we laughed at the phone was "NO KIDDING"!!!!

13 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

Uno has NWS emergency alerts on his phone.  Every time we have a severe thunderstorm or other severe weather it rings.

Last Saturday, we had a severe thunderstorm overhead.  Thunder so strong the house shook.  About 10 minutes into the storm, the weather alert chimed on his phone "Lightening Detected In Your Area".  The only thing we could think, as we laughed at the phone was "NO KIDDING"!!!!

I have that too, the ring tone is RED ALERT!

Basically up here the only time the EAS goes off is to tell us they are doing their monthly test.    Don't know why they test , never heard anything worth mentioning.  Totally worthless here.    GW

4 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

We had a 2 or 3 tornados come through the area a few months ago.  The worst one hit a little dead end road out in the country where an extended family lived and killed a bunch of folks.  One of the others missed my place by a couple of miles to the north and took out a whole line of houses and trailers, a beer joint, a gas station and a cell phone tower (a pic of the cell tower made the national news).  It also took a 16 foot square sign off the posts and put it in a pasture on the other side of the river about 15 miles into  GA.

The sirens started after the tornados were on the ground. 

It takes 4 or 5 minutes for the NWS in Birmingham to get the information, process it, issue the alert and the sirens get triggered.  The storm cell was estimated to have been traveling 75 miles an hour and it's less than 20 by road, much less as the crow flies, from where the western most hit to where the eastern most one touched down.

I actually rely on my phone and the apps I have downloaded for emergency weather alerts. Now that I live in SoCal it not as much of an issue. They haven’t developed an Earthquake EAS yet. Though there are apps that can tell you about a quake after it happened. 

The best one can hope for in predicting quakes is 10 seconds. That’s better than nothing. The best earthquake predictors used to be the cheesy single pane aluminum framed windows that seemed to be in every house and apartment. 

If you heard them rattling get to a doorway or get to some cover. You had 5-10 seconds before the shaking started. Now “they” say “Do not get into doorways”. Blah, blah, blah. I would prefer a doorway over hiding under furniture that is sliding all over the place. 

But I digress. 

If you have a smart phone I would recommend downloading a couple of different weather apps that can give you warnings for weather events. I use Weatherbug, Accu-Weather, NOAA Radar and the Lightning apps. Between these 4 apps I am pretty much covered.

Last night I watched a rerun of "Frasier"...he and Roz were conducting a test of the Emergency Broadcasting System.

Frazier: "If this had been a real emergency, your radio would be melting in your hands."

One of my uncles, a WWII navy veteran, was at one time mayor of Pueblo, Colorado and therefore automatically in charge of Civil Defense drills in the 1950s.  I "assisted" him during one nationwide practice alert as a runner, taking printed "disaster updates" from one department to another.  After it was over, I asked him how it went.  He replied, "We are all going to die."

Archived