SASS Wire Forum

Making a Steinway

Subdeacon Joe

Awesome!!! I was at the Kimball piano factory in 1989 and the process was similar but Steinway is still the best piano around!!;) There's a few things that Steinway patented that no one uses.

BTW Kimball stopped making pianos in the early 1990's. Steinway is the most expensive piano in the USA and it's still around. Hundreds of other piano companies have gone out of business. Steinway is still going strong!

That’s pretty cool, thanks for posting.

The plates for their pianos are made here where I live at the O.S. Kelly Company. I'll have to watch when I have a few minutes.

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

The plates for their pianos are made here where I live at the O.S. Kelly Company. I'll have to watch when I have a few minutes.

Yes, Kelly made plates for lots of different pianos, of course now in the USA there's only Steinway and Charles Walters, a small piano co. in Indiana. They always had a K marked on the plates I've seen it literally thousands of times! I'm not sure if they make them for the overseas market, Japan, China etc.

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Steinway is still the best piano around!!

You ain't heard my 1898 Baldwin upright!

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

I’ve heard a few in my travels, Baldwin is a great piano and it all depends on the individual piano. Overall Steinway is the choice for most orchestras and concert pianists. BTW the new Baldwin’s are made in China , not so good!:o

5 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:
6 hours ago, MizPete said:

Does it still work???

You bet it does.  Hammer padding replaced around 30 years ago; aside from that, all original parts.

8 hours ago, MizPete said:

You bet it does.  Hammer padding replaced around 30 years ago; aside from that, all original parts.

Original strings?? It would sound 100% better if you had it restrung! I've been a piano tuner/technician for 34 years, replacing hammers is good but now get it restrung and you'll hear a HUGE difference! Just MHO:)

2 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

:rolleyes:In my next life maybe I'll be able to afford one, but in this one I'll have to stick to my Yamaha.

Nothing at all wrong with a Yamaha, they've been in business since the 1880's, they know what they're doing.;)

True.  I love playing mine, but try as I may I just cannot slobber over it like I did the last time I sat on a Steinway.  

And notice I said SAT, not PLAYED.

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Nothing at all wrong with a Yamaha, they've been in business since the 1880's, they know what they're doing.;)

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Original strings??

I don't remember if the strings were replaced when the refurbishing happened.  I do know they tried to replace the keys with plastic - wasn't having any of it.  Anyway, I'm afraid to mess with it since it still sounds so good - especially the bass.  Will ask the question next time I have it tuned - it's overdue.

Archived