SASS Wire Forum

New Belts and Holsters

dannyvp

Make sure they are made from vegetable tanned leather, of the proper thickness. I prefer at least 10-12 oz leather. Oil tanned leather or just too thin of leather will result in floppy holsters that will be difficult to re-holster you pistol with, and thin belts will sag and get misshapen. Fitting well on the belt is also important, you don't want the holster sliding around on the belt.

I like the holsters that expose most of the trigger guard  and enough of the top strap to allow easy draw for transfer to the other hand.  I like metal lined holsters that hold their shape, suede lined belts that don't slip around, adjustable holsters that allow you to move them and secure them where you want them on the belt. Last couple rigs I bought I ordered 3 holsters, two strong side plus a cross draw so I can change them out as desired.  Don' t need bullet loops on the holster belt. Use a slide for reloads.   The rig needs to comply with the category you shoot, drop holsters/buscadero rig for BW, for example.  Roller buckle.  Tooling, conchos, color to match your mood/outfit/persona.  

5 hours ago, dannyvp said:

Metal lined? Between 2 pieces of leather I’m assuming so that the “pocket” stays “round” for the pistol?

Correct, mine are kydex lined.

My rigs are all Mernickle, and I'm pretty sure theirs are metal between two layers of leather. Kydex would be good too, and probably lighter. 

The metal lining works two ways, one it keeps the holster exactly where you like it open pocket, tight or loose on gun. Its adjustable so if you holster gets loose overtime you can just give it a squeeze and its back to where you like it. Second they last along time leather naturally gets soft over time and looses its shape. Metal lining wont.  Kydex is good too for longevity, but you cant adjust it once it looses its shape like metal. 

hope this helps

H.Wolf

Lots of choices, I would refrain my question and ask for some good maker recommendations as well as good modes to choose from for each maker.   Several of the popular ones are big time 'off the shelf' suppliers, some are a bit more 'in between' the those and the full blown custom makers.   You do need to decide where your game and your pocket book can safely go!  Decide your wants/needs first and then you will get the better recommendations as to how to go along that journey.  You really will need to expect a lot of choices.  

Archived