SASS Wire Forum

Finally, Some Good News!

DocWard

I tend to not post my bad news and complaints here, but I've had my share this summer. But I finally have some good news.

I've been back into Kenpo for some time now, and I have been sparring successfully at with other black belts and a very accomplished 3rd Degree Brown Belt (As in has one grand championship at a well respected, well attended tournament, beating out noted black belts). I've demonstrated my ability to perform the necessary kicks, punches, blocks, checks and parries. I've written a thesis. Today I performed two empty hand katas and two weapon katas (Spear and sword). I demonstrated a kata I had created myself, then demonstrated the techniques within the kata, before performing it again. The net result: Shodan, or First Degree Black Belt.

IMG_0806.jpg

Hey DocWard:

(1) Congratulations on a title well earned. ;)

(2) Will you be eligible to use these feats at SASS Matches? :o

(3) I see you have a black belt, but what's with the white socks? :blink:

42 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Congratulations. Now the learning begins never quit it’s a life time journey 

Thanks! Interesting you say that. The final paragraph of my thesis is as follows:

The general public typically thinks of a black belt as having reached a pinnacle of their art. Many do not know that many martial artists consider the black belt as the beginning of a lifetime of learning, not the end of a progression. I certainly do not look at achieving Black Belt, or Shodan, status, as an ending point. However, I do consider it a significant milestone. It is safe to say my view of the martial arts in general, and Kenpo in particular, has expanded since those early days of wanting to learn self defense, and for the sake of learning. Now, for me Kenpo means a commitment, part of a lifestyle dedicated to self defense, to mental and physical health. My study of Kenpo means challenging myself, through learning and through competing, to be better than I am, and perhaps better than I thought I could be. Kenpo still means self defense, and defending my principles and my honor. It also still means learning, but now in addition to learning the art and its techniques, and learning about the art, I also learn about myself. I learn about myself through my training, through practicing Kata to the point of focusing until they are almost meditation, and from my failures and successes. My Black Belt, and Shodan status, will not mean I stop doing these things. It will be symbolic of my ability to learn to do them correctly

15 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Hey DocWard:

(1) Congratulations on a title well earned. ;)

(2) Will you be eligible to use these feats at SASS Matches? :o

(3) I see you have a black belt, but what's with the white socks? :blink:

1) Thanks

2) Unlikely

3) Because nobody wants to see my ugly feet. They're actually white ankle socks that I wear with running shoes, which I happened to wear to the dojo today.

5 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

redneck , white socks and blue ribbon beer 

there has to be a country song in there somewhere 

CB 

I'll admit to being a redneck. I'm proud of the lineage, going back to my Scots-Irish roots. White socks, see above. Can I opt for a Guinness instead?

29 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I tend to not post my bad news and complaints here, but I've had my share this summer. But I finally have some good news.

I've been back into Kenpo for some time now, and I have been sparring successfully at with other black belts and a very accomplished 3rd Degree Brown Belt (As in has one grand championship at a well respected, well attended tournament, beating out noted black belts). I've demonstrated my ability to perform the necessary kicks, punches, blocks, checks and parries. I've written a thesis. Today I performed two empty hand katas and two weapon katas (Spear and sword). I demonstrated a kata I had created myself, then demonstrated the techniques within the kata, before performing it again. The net result: Shodan, or First Degree Black Belt.

IMG_0806.jpg

That proud day with my son who was one of my instructorsB2AC302B-403E-4A78-A582-31D36CF19F7D.thumb.jpeg.3877711ebdbebef58f8deffd136ef76d.jpeg

23 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Congratulations on your accomplishments to date, now . . . . go do it all again!

My next lesson is Friday!

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OFS :excl:

Hint--You really need to get different socks..........:lol::P

OLG

Tough crowd! But then, CAS is the sport where the guys talk about clothes!

Congratulation!! I know there is a lot of work in accomplishing what you did. Again Congratulation!!!

Excellent job, Doc! Kudos to you. :D

Bottles, a Guinness for Doc over there and keep them coming. Yep, drinks are on me, just put them on whoever’s tab is on top there, that’ll do just fine. ;) 

As I had previously mentioned, I don't really enjoy discussing my own woes here. I prefer to use this as my escape from said woes. However, I've pondered it, and decided some further disclosure was in order beyond the summer has been "bad." It has been a very challenging summer for me, to say the least. Trying to jump back and forth between jobs and still find time to practice my martial arts was difficult, but not out of the question. I was training for a tournament, when while sparring, I was throwing a kick at the same time as my opponent and made contact with a bony protrusion. I managed to end up with a beautiful knot about the size of half a tennis ball right below my knee, and in a lot of pain. About a month or so ago, and it is still healing. So much for the tournament. I'm hoping to make one in October.

About the time I thought to myself, "Self, you should go see your doctor about this," my wife was setting up her class room (she teaches science) and managed to drop a 120 pound lab table on her big toe. A comminuted fracture (think fragments), severe laceration right behind and under the nail bed, soft tissue damage... I was a medic in the National Guard, and when I arrived, my first (unspoken) thought was, "she's going to lose her toe." She hasn't but it is still a mess, and still painful.

Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse... Did I mention never to think that? It will come back to bite you if you do. At any rate, just when I thought so, her mother was diagnosed with stage four cancer. My wife's mother has been like a true mother to me over the past thirty years, so it hurts more than I can explain. Originating in the gall bladder, her cancer has metastasized, and at this point the only real treatment is palliative care. She declined chemo. At eighty, with compromised cardiac, renal and hepatic components, I understand why. With my wife mostly immobile, it has meant I have had to step up and do more.

Did I mention that right after I injured my leg, we moved my youngest daughter out of her apartment? Did I mention that last Friday I loaded ALL of the stuff that came home onto a U-Haul, and Saturday, with the help of a friend from the Army who is still more like a brother, moved her into her new apartment? Yes, I would say "challenging" may be a bit of understatement.

DocWard.png.bb3fe219f1218c7e58e4e8111c81d629.png@DocWard,

Here's praying for a speeding recovery for yourself.

Also praying for healing for your wife that she may not lose her toe.

And prayers up for your mother-in-law that she is not in pain at this stage.

Doc. I'll be sure to keep you and your family in my thoughts and mediatations.

May you and your family be filled with loving kindness.
May you and your family be well.
May you and your family be peaceful and at ease.
May you and your family be happy.

All I can say is WOW.   Very sorry to hear this.  Prayers up for you and yours. 

You know we are here for you.  Please don't hesitate to lean on us when needed.

Back in the day I had a black belt...no wait...it was a brown one. 

No, it was a Budweiser belt as I recollect. :P

0CD0F222-8CAA-4B8D-93B1-A88BE979668A.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Back in the day I had a black belt...no wait...it was a brown one. 

No, it was a Budweiser belt as I recollect. :P

0CD0F222-8CAA-4B8D-93B1-A88BE979668A.jpeg

But do you still have the katana?

Archived