SASS Wire Forum

Long Range Charge

Snakebite

We charge $10 which includes all side matches including long range. We do 100+ yard and 200+ yard.

Not any any annual I've attended in New Mexico.   

A "side match" fee is charged at Bordertown (Arizona State match) and that includes long range.   Since the COSTS of putting on Long Range side match is very small (just the cost of awards, usually), it would be counter productive to charge a shooter fee.

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

Do any of your clubs charge to shoot the Long Range event at your annual match? How much?

Just curious, why would there be an additional charge?

33 minutes ago, Assassin said:

1000 yards at Hell On Wheels, no additional charge for any side matches.

Assassin, would it be easier if you called it 4.545 furlongs and quit those big scary numbers 

38 minutes ago, twelve mile REB said:

Assassin, would it be easier if you called it 4.545 furlongs and quit those big scary numbers 

3000 feet, go big or go home.

OK, but where in Wyoming are you going to find 3000 feet?

1 hour ago, Assassin said:

1000 yards at Hell On Wheels, no additional charge for any side matches.

And Queen Foraday won the Quigley Shoot there this year. I taught her everything I know about long range and she still won.

I don't mind paying extra for long range matches, I've helped at a number of them and it takes lots of time and people. Money well spent.

1 hour ago, twelve mile REB said:

How many folks know there are 8 furlongs in a mile? Sounds horsey to me.

At our local club, when we have long range, we usually have a "Quigley shoot". Three rounds, off hand, most hits in least time wins. Everyone pays 3 bucks per attempt and you get half the pot if you win

5 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

There ain’t that many people there.:P

3 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

There ain’t that many people there.:P

No problem, they count antelope...

On 8/20/2019 at 4:38 PM, twelve mile REB said:

Cheyenne Frontier Days, most of those people are from out of state. I've never been, they say it's a good time.

OK, we are drifting away here. I ask the question because most matches charge for the Speed Matches and the Plainsman match. I do, in fact, know of clubs that charge for the Long Range match.  It can cost MUCH more to put on the Long Range match than either the Speed or Plainsman match if you are shooting anything other than a old Fender off of a Ford truck, or paper at 100 yds. Purchasing two sheets of steel and having them cut out to be a Buffalo, building the mounting structures and then mounting them on trailers to move them around can get expensive. We have never charged for the Long Range match, but I was considering recommending it, so just wanted to hear from others on the issue.  Tnx

Snakebite 

22 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

OK, we are drifting away here. I ask the question because most matches charge for the Speed Matches and the Plainsman match. I do, in fact, know of clubs that charge for the Long Range match.  It can cost MUCH more to put on the Long Range match than either the Speed or Plainsman match if you are shooting anything other than a old Fender off of a Ford truck, or paper at 100 yds. Purchasing two sheets of steel and having them cut out to be a Buffalo, building the mounting structures and then mounting them on trailers to move them around can get expensive. We have never charged for the Long Range match, but I was considering recommending it, so just wanted to hear from others on the issue.  Tnx

Snakebite 

Well, that information helps. At the Cowboys in Norco we are limited to 97 yards for the long range rifle side match. Trying to charge shooters an additional fee to shoot a not so long range, long range match might prove problematic. We post their targets for them and pull their targets, they don’t even have to walk down range. At the Western Divisional in 2018 we had a total of 9 (nine) long range rifle participants. We use paper targets stapled to cardboard backing.

Archived