SASS Wire Forum

The tactical tampon

In my previous Post "A WIDOWS WAR", it was mentioned that the crime scene of a soldiers room included a tampon found on the floor.

This became a suggestion that the married father had an affair; however, it was noted that tampons are commonly carried by the military to stave off bleeding from a gunshot wound.

2079303907_Thetacticaltampon.png.284cb81aca7fcd9171d32c99d0513c13.png

Of course, curiosity got the better of me, and I found the following article which debunks the idea.

What say you? Any knowledge of this?

https://havokjournal.com/fitness/medical/your-tactical-tampon-is-useless-for-life-threatening-hemorrhage/

Two thoughts.

1: whether it has been proven to be wrong or not is irrelevant. People still believe it. And if people believe it, they will still carry a tampon stick in the bullet hole - just in case.

2: bullet does not get hot enough to cauterize the wound. This was proven in 1892. 1892?? That was 130 years ago. Just because something was true or not true a hundred and thirty years ago does not still make it true or not true. (I don't believe that bullets will cauterize the wound, but science has come a long way in 130 years.)

1: Tracers will cauterize a wound if they have not burned out when they penetrate.  Still not a good thing.

2:  A tampon might not stop a wound from bleeding, but it might slow it down.  If you find me with a penetrating bullet wound, feel free to insert a tampon.  Anything you do is probably going to be an improvement.

Duffield

I've seen wounds that cauterize partially by hot 9mm FMJ rounds.  Back in the late 80's and early 90's, there was a proliferation of black market Israeli "Uzi" ammo on the streets.  In some GSW's it would seal up the entry wound and partially through the wound canal.

I never carried a tampon but I did carry sanitary napkins.. Never had an occasion to try them out.  Debunk the theories in favor fo all the medical equipment in the world, but anything beats what you DON'T have available or don't know how to use.

The key to that article is "Life-Threatening Hemorrhage"  A tampon and holding pressure will slow down bleeding from a less-than-life-threatening injury and allow time for a clot to form, which in the long run may save someone in combat from the loss of concentration, dizziness, and light-headed effects of blood loss.  Sanitary napkins would be a quick form of abdominal dressing (called ABD's) that are good for a multitude of injuries.  That and duct tape will give you a dandy pressure bandage.

I have an Israeli Bandage and Tourniquet along with some other bits and pieces in the car at all times. When you shoot 45/70 you need to be prepared.

The advantage of having a Daughter who is a Defence Force medic.

I have known some who carry other multi use items as above but these days the Defence Forces have access to some very good emeergency items and so they dont need the home grown variety.

untitled.png

61fX8YiM4JL__SY355_.jpg

For an extremity wound a tourniquet is best. For a thorax or abdominal wound a tampon couldn’t hurt if you have no compresses or quick clot.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Just pour some gunpowder in and light it.

It worked for Rambo and he went on to kick butt with zero down time. :rolleyes::blink::P

Pat,

You forgot the most important prep step...

5ad4a02132797_CowboyDrunk.gif.6ab25feafe89e1c989d7e04755d946c5.gif

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Pat,

You forgot the most important prep step...

5ad4a02132797_CowboyDrunk.gif.6ab25feafe89e1c989d7e04755d946c5.gif

Ah, but see, Rambo didn’t drink! 

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Ah, but see, Rambo didn’t drink! 

Pat,

I'm laughing while watching your video as the "Waco Kid" is drinking hard liquor the whole time. :D

16 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I never carried a tampon but I did carry sanitary napkins.. Never had an occasion to try them out.  Debunk the theories in favor fo all the medical equipment in the world, but anything beats what you DON'T have available or don't know how to use.

I did the same thing. I'll never forget the look on the old ladies face as she watched me and my ex-girlfriend stand in front of a wall of feminine products with me going "No I don't want those, they're scented. I just want plain run of the mill maxipads".

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Just pour some gunpowder in and light it.

It worked for Rambo and he went on to kick butt with zero down time. :rolleyes::blink::P

He was just copying Clint Eastwood!

Don't know if this a true story or not.....

Years ago, a wife asked her husband to pick up some Tampax on his way home from work. He stopped at a mom and pop store on the way home but could not find the Tampax. He went to the cashier in the front and asked for directions. The cashier, being new, didn't know either so she got on the store intercom and paged "There is a customer up front who is trying to find the Tampax and needs assistance". The stockroom man hears it as thumbtacks and not Tampax. The reply comes back over the intercom "We have two kinds, the kind you push in with your thumb and the kind you pound in with a hammer, which kind do they want?"

53 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Don't know if this a true story or not.....

Years ago, a wife asked her husband to pick up some Tampax on his way home from work. He stopped at a mom and pop store on the way home but could not find the Tampax. He went to the cashier in the front and asked for directions. The cashier, being new, didn't know either so she got on the store intercom and paged "There is a customer up front who is trying to find the Tampax and needs assistance". The stockroom man hears it as thumbtacks and not Tampax. The reply comes back over the intercom "We have two kinds, the kind you push in with your thumb and the kind you pound in with a hammer, which kind do they want?"

You're killing me here....257599515_Horselaughing.png.b8355bd6c47cf4bb23a7349dfc52e9be.png

UB:

Thanks. ;)

This is what I enjoy about the SALOON.

I have learned so much :blush:, and discovered new things :o and laughed so hard at times. :lol:

Tampion.png.8add8f8bf73b44c1cc4b07bfcd996884.png

I often wondered what the powers that be thought of the things we asked for in the PX:

Sanitary pads

Condoms, great to keep crud out of the muzzle of your weapon.

Sheer nylon hose to wear over you head to keep no-see-ums off.

Clear finger nail polish to close small wounds.

Midol for heat headaches and mild pain.

Add to the list.

Archived