SASS Wire Forum

A WIDOWS WAR

1751498761_ColonelStahlman.png.a8f9bf8ed569a59495998a685beccee6.png

My wife and I like to watch episodes.

We typically try to determine if the party(ies) in question are guilty based on the evidence that is presented at trial if it entails one.

Now I understand that during a 1 hour show (40 mins sans commercials) not everything can be revealed; however, I have to voice my opinion on critical information that is never presented. This can result in one of two theories (1) it was performed, but not presented, or (2) it wasn't performed at all.

A brief summary of the above :rolleyes: named episode is shown below:

In July 2008, Colonel Michael Stahlman was about to come home from Iraq for R&R with his family when the military lawyer and former flight officer was found in his quarters with a gunshot wound to the head. He died about two months later.

Authorities called it a suicide. But Stahlman's wife Kim and daughter MacKenna say the man they loved would never have killed himself.

And here is the link to the actual episode in question:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/marine-colonel-michael-stahlmans-widow-fights-for-the-truth-behind-his-death-suicide-or-homicide/

What was never shown or revealed, was if his hands were ever tested for gunshot residue, and if so, which hand did it show up on?

If it was the left hand (supposedly the Colonel was right handed) how could one who is going to commit suicide by shooting themselves in the head, miss their target? And if it was the right hand, how to you position the firearm on the opposite side of your head?

Maybe I missed something when watching it the first time, but your opinions on the matter may help me understand.

Both my wife and I do not believe it was a suicide; however, there are still questions, including this one, that were not answered.

Based on the evidence you see in the video what is your opinion?

The Light Colonel one position under the cut off for Full Colonel and our victim on the list lead the investigation. 

Too much information is missing.  Part of the problem with the investigation is the deceased survived for a period of time after the incident. Even in the best situations (not in a war zone) it is difficult to maintain a pristine crime scene, as emergency medical personnel and responders are all over the scene.  I would not expect any testing would be done in this situation for powder residue.  

If you are a supporter of the two bullet theory, here are my questions:  1)  If the first bullet went through the wall and that was not the bullet that went through the deceased's head, where is that second bullet?  2)  How many shell casings were found?  Where were they found?  3)  How many rounds were in the gun?  Magazine?  Chamber?  Did the gun malfunction after the final shot?

Blood spatter evidence is a science in and of itself.  Very good photography is necessary.  

Left had or right hand?  Interesting fact, but who knows what is going through someones brain at a time like this. Looks like he was lying in his back with his right side to the wall.  Does he have room to move his right hand?  Is the gun on the nightstand and he grabs it with his left hand?  

Several different explanations were given for the sheet being hung from the top bunk.  I've seen many death scenes where the person prepared the area ahead of time so others didn't have such a big mess to clean up.  The sheet hanging from the top bunk could have been done for that purpose.  

The media like to make much out of people close to the subject of the story who say the person never could have done such a thing.  Nobody wants to think that their loved one, neighbor, friend, etc  is a criminal or could commit what they consider to be an irrational act.  It is not uncommon to find family loved ones sanitizing scenes to prevent embarrassment for the deceased.  

Sorry for the long answer.  The short answer is the scene was FUBAR.  I have no opinion based on the information presented.

Archived