SASS Wire Forum

I find this amusing; silver plated Uberti

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I just stumbled across this on Gunbroker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/824393818

It's a silver plated, fully engraved Uberti clone made to mimic General Patton's Colt.  Price is about what you'd expect to pay for a generic used Colt. 

I find it amusing that the seller goes to great lengths to explain how steps have been taken that prove this gun has never been cocked, cleaned, etc.   Me, if I were to buy it, (and since I'm from Massachusetts, I can't) the first thing I'd want to do is take it to a match and shoot it.

Oh well.

Well, apparently, that zip tie that prevents cocking came from the factory.   For what it's worth, I found another one with the same zip tie making the same never cocked claim.   This second one was 900 and change, and very tarnished.   That one I'd be much more inclined to purchase, clean it up and shoot it.

But it also demonstrates the real problem with a silver finished gun; it tarnishes and gets real ugly!   Gold on the other hand might get a little dull over time, but it doesn't tarnish like silver does.   I think you're better off with nickel.  It's cheaper, and basically looks like silver to begin with.

Take a $500 pistol plus $1,000 of silver = $1500 selling price?  Isn't that like putting racing fuel in your push lawn mower?

17 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Take a $500 pistol plus $1,000 of silver = $1500 selling price?  Isn't that like putting racing fuel in your push lawn mower?

I seriously doubt there's a thousand dollars worth of silver on that gun.   The fancy engraving may add the to the value, but it's still an Uberti, not a Colt.   And, it's a "commemorative."  Even Colt commemoratives don't hold or go up in value all that much.  (With a couple of annoying exceptions...)  That's the main reason I own a few commemoratives, they are more affordable than generic Colt's made at the same time.

You know, some folks might actually like this limited edition Uberti...I've sold one and it's a nice little piece.

So I guess it's only okay to poop on people that will never see these posts...heaven forbid that anyone say anything negative to someone here on the Wire...That's when one gets attacked.

Phantom

I looked at a USFA last year that the owner claimed had never been fired, and "never even been cocked".  When I pointed out the bolt drag marks on the cylinder, the owner had no explanation.  I left it with the owner.

28 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You know, some folks might actually like this limited edition Uberti...I've sold one and it's a nice little piece.

So I guess it's only okay to poop on people that will never see these posts...heaven forbid that anyone say anything negative to someone here on the Wire...That's when one gets attacked.

Phantom

Huh?   Never said I didn't like the gun, only that I found the add on Gunbroker amusing.   I think it's a fine looking pistol and would greatly enjoy owning and shooting one of them.  I even said so.   Generically, I think it's overpriced, but even if I didn't, I can't buy one based on where I live.   Where the negativity?

31 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

WOW!  Phantom I am proud of you!  Surprised but proud of you for taking the stand that perhaps there are people who might take offense if people put other people’s purchases down. 

Keep up the good work and positive attitude. 

18 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Huh?   Never said I didn't like the gun, only that I found the add on Gunbroker amusing.   I think it's a fine looking pistol and would greatly enjoy owning and shooting one of them.  I even said so.   Generically, I think it's overpriced, but even if I didn't, I can't buy one based on where I live.   Where the negativity?

What's the point of your original post???

Poke fun at someone?

Just don't get it.

Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

What's the point of your original post???

Poke fun at someone?

Just don't get it.

Just that I found it amusing that he chose to so carefully stress the never been fired aspect.    Nothing sinister about that.   I find it amusing because if I did own it, the first thing I'd do is shoot it.    What's the problem?

15 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

WOW!  Phantom I am proud of you!  Surprised but proud of you for taking the stand that perhaps there are people who might take offense if people put other people’s purchases down. 

Keep up the good work and positive attitude. 

Not worried about putting someone's purchase down. Didn't address that.

I just don't see why one would post some of the things they do here on the Wire where the person that they are referencing has no access to the postings.

And people can read whatever they like into my words here on the stoopid Wire. The written word by amateurs can be often time interpreted many ways based on biases and such.

Cheers!

Phantom

1 minute ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Just that I found it amusing that he chose to so carefully stress the never been fired aspect.    Nothing sinister about that.   I find it amusing because if I did own it, the first thing I'd do is shoot it.    What's the problem?

Still don't understand taking the time...see no point in it.

Never said anything about "Sinister"...

Problem????

I'm just adding my useless $.02 to a post that is useless.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Still don't understand taking the time...see no point in it.

Never said anything about "Sinister"...

Problem????

I'm just adding my useless $.02 to a post that is useless.

Phantom

You get up on the wrong side of the bed? Cranky, cranky... :P

Taking the time to respond USELESS, useless, funny, FUNNY, funky.

17 minutes ago, twelve mile REB said:

I suppose what I find funny... Is people poking fun at people on a Forum that those being poked at probably don't visit.

Seems kinda back stabbing and chicken-ish.

17 minutes ago, twelve mile REB said:

I suppose what I find funny... Is people poking fun at people on a Forum that those being poked at probably don't visit.

Seems kinda back stabbing and chicken-ish.

He spelled George wrong.  As in George S. Patton. So all his credibility goes right out the window.  IMHO :)

If this was made 40 years ago, then the plastic zip ties are not original, as they were invented in 1958, the year before Aldo started Uberti firearms. And they were originaly made from metal, not plastic.

23 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

If this was made 40 years ago, then the plastic zip ties are not original, as they were invented in 1958, the year before Aldo started Uberti firearms. And they were originaly made from metal, not plastic.

Hmmm... 40 years ago was 1979... some 21 years after Aldo started A.Uberti Firearms... 

Phantom, as for H.K.'s OP, I think you're reading a bit much into it.  And whereas, I see the humor in the juxtaposition of the sellers description, and H.K.'s position, I also know as well as you do that some buyers put a premium on owning an unfired gun.  Ergo, the thrust of the seller's description.  I did the same thing with a pair of engraved silver & gold plated SAAs I put up for auction.  Immediately put tie wraps around the hammers & recoil shield to keep the temptation down to cock the silly things... as I was sorely tempted to keep 'em and shot BP outta them.  Bein' .44-40s and all...:P

9 hours ago, Griff said:

Hmmm... 40 years ago was 1979... some 21 years after Aldo started A.Uberti Firearms... 

Phantom, as for H.K.'s OP, I think you're reading a bit much into it.  And whereas, I see the humor in the juxtaposition of the sellers description, and H.K.'s position, I also know as well as you do that some buyers put a premium on owning an unfired gun.  Ergo, the thrust of the seller's description.  I did the same thing with a pair of engraved silver & gold plated SAAs I put up for auction.  Immediately put tie wraps around the hammers & recoil shield to keep the temptation down to cock the silly things... as I was sorely tempted to keep 'em and shot BP outta them.  Bein' .44-40s and all...:P

Heyya Griff,

I truly understand all of that...I really do.

I just don't understand the need to bring it up here and then poke fun at someone that has no ability to reply or engage. 

The whole thing looks silly and seems childish.

Phantom

19 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Heyya Griff,

I truly understand all of that...I really do.

I just don't understand the need to bring it up here and then poke fun at someone that has no ability to reply or engage. 

The whole thing looks silly and seems childish.

Phantom

Ain't y'all poking fun at folks too?  :)

1 minute ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Ain't y'all poking fun at folks too?  :)

Sure.

But they can respond...nothing done behind anyone's back.

If folks want to search the internet and find things to post here and make fun of...fine, knock yerself out! 

I've made my argument. Commenting further will not add anything. 

I have always found it annoying and amusing when someone describes a recently manufactured gun as "Owning a Piece of History."  Not Hardly (stolen famous movie line) :lol: 

Archived