SASS Wire Forum

Trying to price out a Colt 1911, Government model series 70, Mark IV. Produced 1982

Sweet & Sassy Cindy

Hi Folks,

I’m looking to price out a Colt 1911, series 70, Mark IV, Government Model. Product date: circa 1982. This was carried as a police service pistol for a number of years. I still have the original wooden grips. Who would be the best person(s) to help me come up with a fair price?

Thank you,

Sweet & Sassy Cindy

7 minutes ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

Gunbroker.com to see what they’re actually selling for. 

Thanks, I’ve been there, but I’m looking for an individual that can kinda grade it for me approximately . I’ve got a friend interested in it, but one to make sure I get decent value from it, but not over charge. 

Thank you

I have found the folks on 1911addicts.com to be friendly and honest. If you take detailed pictures and include as much information as possible I would be glad to ask over there for you. 

2 hours ago, Sweet & Sassy Cindy said:

Thanks, I’ve been there, but I’m looking for an individual that can kinda grade it for me approximately . I’ve got a friend interested in it, but one to make sure I get decent value from it, but not over charge. 

Thank you

Howdy Miss Cindy!

Why don't you bring it to the match next weekend in Chipley and let Mad Dane look at it?  He can probably give you a good evaluation on it.

Most pistols in police service were carried a lot and shot little.  That means it's better to sell this piece as a shooter's gun, and so you need it priced as such.  And you need to advertise it where shooters will see it (not the collectors that haunt the gun auctions).  Think local gun clubs and cowboy swap meets first.

A new (yes, the Series 70 Colt Govt is still in production) is about $900 street value, in, of course, factory condition.

There have been very few changes made with even the latest Colt Government model.   Higher fixed sights and a better barrel bushing than the finger collet that the 80s vintage guns contained are the major improvements.   That might be $75 to upgrade to those newer parts, should someone desire.

So, since you probably don't have a gun that would interest many collectors, and you can get a new one at $900 or slightly lower, you will probably find that the gun could be moved with a price of $700 or 750.  Condition does make a lot of difference, but when you are looking at a gun still being produced, the top end is almost hard limited against the price of a new one.   A REAL bad case of holster wear on the gun, or dropped gun (dents), or buggered screws, would lower that value.   But those are easy for you to see.  All this says, you would not need to spend much or take a lot of time to get a good valuation estimate, because there is only a small chance that the estimate will "earn" you more money or lower the value significantly.   If it shoots, it's got value as a shooter's gun.  An estimate from a knowledgeable pistol shooter will probably be as accurate as you will need for this project.

Good luck, GJ 

22 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

CK out Guns America.......

https://www.gunsamerica.com/

Get in touch with Phantom on this forum.

OLG

Thank you, I will.

Thank you to everyone who gave me input. I’ve come to an accommodating price with the buyer. Y’all take care and I’ll see y’all on the range!!

Archived