SASS Wire Forum

Dick’s

Utah Bob #35998

Well, they need to. No one behind the counter there knows what they're talking about anyways.

I predict Walmart will follow. At least it’s good news for the local gun shops.

There’s a Dicks at the mall I go to. The only time I go to Dicks is to use their bathroom!! :lol:

49 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

...At least it’s good news for the local gun shops.

This ^

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Dick’s are...well, they are...

...catering to a  communist agenda?

Yup.

I couldn't care any less if Dick's went completely out of business. And I don't buy guns at Wal fart either. Maybe ammo on occasion. Yay for local gun shops, let's help keep them profitable. :FlagAm:

One thing to keep in mind here is that the “local gun shop” is much less likely to survive municipal or government pressure than the box stores that sell guns and ammunition!!

I like most local gun stores for their personal service and the ability to special order, but those big businesses add another layer of credibility and more weight to the legitimate gun sales/manufacturer/ownership position we desperately need in continuing to protect our Second Amendment rights.  Any of them that we can count in our number are distinctly in our favor!!

That’s no problem for me. Every once in a while they have some decent prices on ammo but that has long ago started to slip away. 

When you go there and have questions or need assistance it’s very clear they don’t know   >ICK   about guns!

11 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Places that sell spandex and tennis rackets are not usually good gun stores.  Just one of those laws of nature, I guess.

Maybe they could start selling Spandex cowboy attire?

Important point by Blackwater - the more that gun ownership can be socially and commercially marginalized the easier it becomes to limit and then ban gun ownership. Gun retailers are being attacked from two sides - for example in Illinois with draconian state licensing of FFL's they put half the gun retailers in the state out of business. That makes people more dependent on fewer dealers and fewer dealers are easier to control. Then pressure large retailers who don't exclusively sell guns and take out even more dealers and make it so people who aren't in to firearms become accustomed to not seeing them for sale as part of normal commerce and normal life. 

I'm not crying over Dick's - they are one dealer and they chose to side with gun control advocates. Good riddance in their case to bad garbage.

It's been this way with most chain stores large and small... Sports Authority, Big 5, GI Joes, True Value, Fred Meyers, et cetera. Big 5 still sells guns & ammo but they also stopped selling handguns and MSR's. Pretty soon I suspect even they will quit as well. There's much more margin to be made on clothing and sports equipment, and they prefer to leave the liability and controversy associated with gun sales behind. Also as many have noted they are terrible at bookkeeping and keeping staff on hand who are adequately trained to do the paperwork correctly. The last gun I bought from a big box retailer was at a Fred Meyers, and it took 20 minutes for them to flag down the one person in their store authorized to sell me the Ruger LCP that I had my eye on. The actual process itself took ages as well because she still seemed a bit unsure how to do it. A few months later Fred Meyer/Krogers got out of selling guns and ammo completely, and I wasn't the least bit surprised.

The only thing I would miss if Wally World stopped selling guns and ammo is the great prices I get on bulk packs of ammo. None of the small pro shops come even remotely close price-wise.

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

One thing to keep in mind here is that the “local gun shop” is much less likely to survive municipal or government pressure than the box stores that sell guns and ammunition!!

I like most local gun stores for their personal service and the ability to special order, but those big businesses add another layer of credibility and more weight to the legitimate gun sales/manufacturer/ownership position we desperately need in continuing to protect our Second Amendment rights.  Any of them that we can count in our number are distinctly in our favor!!

I get what you’re saying but Dicks was never a huge gun seller. The ones around here never even had handguns. Their decision to stop selling guns is not a big effect on the gun market. I have never bought a gun from Dicks.

5 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I couldn't care any less if Dick's went completely out of business. And I don't buy guns at Wal fart either. Maybe ammo on occasion. Yay for local gun shops, let's help keep them profitable. :FlagAm:

There 'tis.  No reason to buy from either one.  No reason to even go in side Dicks, either, but Wally World has some stuff I'll still consider buying as long as they sell guns and ammo.

14 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I get what you’re saying but Dicks was never a huge gun seller. The ones around here never even had handguns. Their decision to stop selling guns is not a big effect on the gun market. I have never bought a gun from Dicks.

Dick’s wasn’t the subject of my observation.  They DID once sell me a nice hammer double, but the stores here seemed to discourage anyone from participating in gun ownership or shooting sports. I stopped frequenting their stores long before they abandoned our Second Amendment and became so demonstrative in their opposition!

What I hate to see is ANY legitimate gun seller being pressured by unscrupulous organizations that seek to prevent them from doing Constitutionally acceptable, perfectly legal, open market business.

We need to support and encourage EVERY public seller of firearms and ammunition and related gear!!

We need to do it with even MORE enthusiasm than we offer in not supporting those who cave in to pressure and abandon us!!

34 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Dick’s wasn’t the subject of my observation.  They DID once sell me a nice hammer double, but the stores here seemed to discourage anyone from participating in gun ownership or shooting sports. I stopped frequenting their stores long before they abandoned our Second Amendment and became so demonstrative in their opposition!

What I hate to see is ANY legitimate gun seller being pressured by unscrupulous organizations that seek to prevent them from doing Constitutionally acceptable, perfectly legal, open market business.

We need to support and encourage EVERY public seller of firearms and ammunition and related gear!!

We need to do it with even MORE enthusiasm than we offer in not supporting those who cave in to pressure and abandon us!!

How can you encourage someone who is obviously anti/gun? The CEO of Dicks and their board obviously don’t care about us! The OP is all about Dicks and I say the heck with them! 

I understand what you’re saying and I don’t disagree but as far as Dicks is concerned their not even a pimple on a hog’s butt!

I think them deciding to Stop Selling Black Guns And

Stop Selling to Under 21 ,  Hurt Them Badly .

This is just another ploy ,  Too the Under belly of society,

Trying to win back some Anti Gun Customers .

Saying See   ( We Stopped selling Guns all together  )

I could care less if Dicks  closes for good .

I will NEVER Darken Their Door Steep Again !

Just sayin .

Rooster  

6 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Big 5 still sells guns & ammo but they also stopped selling handguns and MSR's

I think Big 5 will keep at it. They stopped handgun sales many years ago.

Big 5 is a big chain in the Western states but has 'small box' stores. They have good gun sales service and I've bought several rifles and shotguns there in the last few years, two as recently as 7 months ago.

They still advertise heavily every week with big newspaper inserts, and they always still prominently feature guns and ammo in those ads.. They have very good sale prices on firearms.

I hope they keep at it, anyhow.

12 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

How can you encourage someone who is obviously anti/gun? The CEO of Dicks and their board obviously don’t care about us! The OP is all about Dicks and I say the heck with them! 

I understand what you’re saying and I don’t disagree but as far as Dicks is concerned their not even a pimple on a hog’s butt!

RYE!!  I'm agreeing with you!!  But I'm reminding you and others that the other big box stores that still maintain inventory of guns, ammunition, and accessories NEED to be encouraged by us to continue to do so!!  As bad as places like Bass Pro and Cabella's and Wally World have become in the areas where they've cut back and backed down, they're STILL doing firearms business and we need and want them to continue and even expand!!  ANY legitimate gun industry, b it manufacture, sales, repair, or range/activity that survives and thrives adds to the economy and betters our stance and image.

In the end, money often talks louder than politics and we should use that to our advantage!!!  Firearms industry=jobs and income!!

2 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

RYE!!  I'm agreeing with you!!  But I'm reminding you and others that the other big box stores that still maintain inventory of guns, ammunition, and accessories NEED to be encouraged by us to continue to do so!!  As bad as places like Bass Pro and Cabella's and Wally World have become in the areas where they've cut back and backed down, they're STILL doing firearms business and we need and want them to continue and even expand!!  ANY legitimate gun industry, b it manufacture, sales, repair, or range/activity that survives and thrives adds to the economy and betters our stance and image.

In the end, money often talks louder than politics and we should use that to our advantage!!!  Firearms industry=jobs and income!!

I agree and I get what you're saying but how in the world do you encourage an obviously anti-gun agenda! Dicks' especially does NOT want our business. Are we supposed to beg them? It's a losing battle, they just don't want to sell firearms anymore period! I've emailed Dick's a couple of times and told them I disagreed with their policies on firearms/ammo. What exactly are we supposed to do?

24 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I agree and I get what you're saying but how in the world do you encourage an obviously anti-gun agenda! Dicks' especially does NOT want our business. Are we supposed to beg them? It's a losing battle, they just don't want to sell firearms anymore period! I've emailed Dick's a couple of times and told them I disagreed with their policies on firearms/ammo. What exactly are we supposed to do?

Make examples of them and those who emulate them!  Go to other businesses around them that DO support or at least appreciate our line of business and spend our money THERE!!

Where I shop, the Dick's is directly across the street from Academy Sports!!  The parking lot at Academy is ALWAYS more occupied and the flow in and out the doors is MUCH greater!!  I KNOW the manager of the Dick's store HAS to be pulling his hair, (if he has any) out over the difference in traffic!!  Buy NOTHING at those stores that don't at least appreciate our dollars!!

I support the two (2) local gun shops here in rural Lake County using one as my FFL.

Our main supplier of firearms is Rural King.

Almost every Sunday they have a full page ad of firearms and ammo for sale.

This past year when they put the 9 mm I wanted on sale, there was a line out front almost an hour before the doors opened.

Dicks is soooo full of shit in this venture - its really just a way of trying to 'manage their image.  Many of the Dicks that I have seen are now open bay stores combined with 'Field and stream'

...not the Magazine Field and Stream - Field and Stream the magazine and Field and stream the dicks are two different folks.

"Dicks" is spotlighting their desire to get out of ALL gun business but they are not.

They are just rebranding their gun sales in the other half of the store and putting "Field and Stream" on your receipt.   All the while paying lobbyists to rally against private gun ownership in america.

For those that want to boycotts a sporting goods chain because they are Dicks - you should make sure you dont shop and Field and Stream either -

because they are Dicks too.  Academi might not be any better depending on who you talk to- but they still sell things I want to buy.   I dont mind paying a little more for something at Academi simply because they arent Dicks.

Even better - stay away from big-box stores all together and buy from local vendors.

7 minutes ago, Chuck Steak said:

Dicks is soooo full of shit in this venture - its really just a way of trying to 'manage their image.  Many of the Dicks that I have seen are now open bay stores combined with 'Field and stream'

...not the Magazine Field and Stream - Field and Stream the magazine and Field and stream the dicks are two different folks.

"Dicks" is spotlighting their desire to get out of ALL gun business but they are not.

They are just rebranding their gun sales in the other half of the store and putting "Field and Stream" on your receipt.   All the while paying lobbyists to rally against private gun ownership in america.

For those that want to boycotts a sporting goods chain because they are Dicks - you should make sure you dont shop and Field and Stream either -

because they are Dicks too.  Academi might not be any better depending on who you talk to- but they still sell things I want to buy.   I dont mind paying a little more for something at Academi simply because they arent Dicks.

Even better - stay away from big-box stores all together and buy from local vendors.

Are you talking about Academy Sports?  

1 minute ago, Chuck Steak said:

That is EXACTLY what I've been warning AGAINST!!

We NEED the big box stores that still sell firearms and ammunition in our corner!!  If all of them stop selling what we want and need in the firearms, ammunition, and accessories market, we LOSE major arguing point in the legal/media arena!!  So long as those big business retailers sell firearms/ammunition/accessories in the open market, people and politicians see legitimacy in our actions!! 

YES!!  Support the LGS/mom 'n' pop gun stores!!  Buy from them when it's feasible!!  But share support with those big guys too!!  They make us look like average citizens instead of the "Gun Nuts" that our opposition so gleefully brands us!!

2 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

Yes - Academy Sports + Outdoors

I never did very well in the spelling beas when I was a kidd

Ah.  They have no problem selling firearms and ammo.  They used to report sales of “military cartridges” according to their press release a few years back.

Archived