SASS Wire Forum

A Personnel Question

Calamity Kris

For our esteemed Saloonatics.  I have somewhat of an HR problem. 

I just started in a new department.  I sit next to one of the most obnoxious people in the building.  EACH DAY he spends 6 or 7 hours on personal business, personal phone calls, surfing the web etc.  All at a very loud volume.  His manager is in a different state so I believe the manager has no idea this is going on.

I understand he will be leaving our location at the end of September to work in another state. 

My question is, do I drop a dime on this guy, or do my best to ignore him until he leaves?

IF I do drop a dime on him, he is charging his time to a government contract, therefore it's a serious offense.  He could easily lose his job over it.

If he does lose his job, it will really effect his family as his wife is a stay at home mother of four.

What say ye?

I have a feeling if he feels comfortable enough to be doing what he’s doing he has been doing it for quite some time. If you drop a dime on him someone in management will have to act. They will probably act to keep themselves from looking bad for allowing this to go on for so long. The man will probably get a talking to and will not be fired because if he’s fired someone in management will have report why. I would bet they wouldn’t want to do that.

I would drop a dime on his butt and let the cards fall.

Proceed with caution.

The next time you take 16 minutes on a 15 minute break, 'somebody' will report you.

Or the next time you get a personal phone call or have to call your doctor, child care center,

auto repair shop, bakery for a special B'day cake, etc........ 'somebody' will drop a 'quarter' on

you.

Good luck.

..........Widder

Point it out to your supervisor and ask for guidance.

What would happen if you were on the phone with his supervisor while he was making a personal call at a very loud volume?

Duffield

That's a tough one. One of my best mentors always told me " If you have a problem with someone, pray for them . Not what you want for them, just FOR them" It has stood me in good stead a number of times.

Imis

Sounds like you are worried about this guy's family and I get it, I think I'd let it go and let the new crew deal with him. 

Then again I've only had two cups of coffee so far, one more and I might change my mind!!:lol:

12 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

I just started in a new department.  I sit next to one of the most obnoxious people in the building.  EACH DAY he spends 6 or 7 hours on personal business, personal phone calls, surfing the web etc.  All at a very loud volume.  His manager is in a different state so I believe the manager has no idea this is going on.

I understand he will be leaving our location at the end of September to work in another state. 

My question is, do I drop a dime on this guy, or do my best to ignore him until he leaves?

IF I do drop a dime on him, he is charging his time to a government contract, therefore it's a serious offense.  He could easily lose his job over it.

If he does lose his job, it will really effect his family as his wife is a stay at home mother of four.

What say ye?

Depends, if you can notify HR anonymously then I probably would.  On the other hand if he is going to know it was me who filed the HR complaint, I'd probably wait it out until he leaves.   Alternatively you may want to consider going to your manager and find a way to ask for a desk farther away.

It is not worth escalating if could jeopardize YOUR job or your safety.

Mgmt has the ability to monitor his computer and phone usage, assuming it’s a company phone. Whether they choose to take action or not is their call. 

If you choose to go to your manager, stick with the facts of how his behavior impacts your ability to do your job. Ex: “His overly loud voice makes it hard for me to talk with my clients on the phone.”

Simply telling on a fellow employee for poor performance, though a seemingly noble gesture that you’d think would be appreciated by mgmt under these circumstances, rarely ends well for the whistleblower. 

When something like that happens in my office we all get a reminder from HR that we should all be courteous to our cube neighbors, attached to that email is a copy of office rules.

What I'm suggesting to you is an email to HR or your department lead that simply states:

To whom it may concern,

At least one of my co-workers is talking very loudly and being otherwise obnoxious on a regular basis. This is affecting not only my work, but the work of others. Would you please consider sending out a reminder of office rules to us all. I wish both myself and the co-worker(s) of which I speak to remain anonymous at this time.

Warmest Regards,

Calamity Kris

I hate it when we get those emails(especially when I'm breaking a rule :lol:) , but it does keep everything anonymous.

I think I would let it go since he is leaving shortly.  In the meantime, if it is allowed, get yourself a set of headphones/earbuds and blot him out. If that isn't allowed, get some earplugs to keep his noise to a tolerable level.  I understand your concern about him charging personal business on a government contract.  But it has been proven that whistleblowers can wind up in a bind with management since their lack of supervision of this guy reflects on them.  They/he may retaliate on you.  If he were there long-term, I would probably request to be moved to a different location.  Good luck!

I have people like that working all around me. As long as it doesn't affect my ability to do MY job I figure it's the management's job to do something about it. If they can't or won't then there's no point in me being a tattle-tale, because like Widder says the spotlight can suddenly be shined on you out of retaliation.

You are new so unless you know the office politics I would tread carefully. I have worked places where they let some get away with murder while others are held to a strict line. Personality, politics, and who you know mean a lot, sometimes more than performance. It's not fair, but that's the way of the world. So look after yourself and your safety first whatever you decide. 

Thank you all for the insights.  I do appreciate them. 

I am seriously leaning towards letting it go.  He will be someone else's problem soon enough.  He did chap my hide today when I stopped by my desk between meetings, well into the afternoon and I hadn't eaten yet and he's sitting on another personal phone call with his feet up on his desk.  REALLY????  I kind of scowled at him and split.  I didn't get to see what, if any effect that had on him.  Oh well.  I'll check into bringing in a good pair of headphones and see if that helps.  We aren't allowed noise cancelling or bluetooth but there should still be some good ones out there.

Thanks again.

12 hours ago, Chantry said:

Depends, if you can notify HR anonymously then I probably would.  On the other hand if he is going to know it was me who filed the HR complaint, I'd probably wait it out until he leaves.   Alternatively you may want to consider going to your manager and find a way to ask for a desk farther away.

It is not worth escalating if could jeopardize YOUR job or your safety.

Absolutely.

Typically, employees like the described will sink their own ship. Do your job and go home knowing you earned your pay.

If you must, go to HR and they may start an investigation.

I had Federal Jury Duty this month. After it was over, I researched the people (that is allowed after the fact). Lesson learned, research his allies. The (four) people who filed sexual harassment claims (found out after the fact) were publically ridiculed and retaliated against. The retaliation was the primary factor of our case.  I would not have wanted to go through what our plaintiff (or the other three) did.  We found for the plaintiff.

Basically, jerks get away with bad behavior and can make your life miserable. :( Be aware and be strong.

On 8/19/2019 at 7:42 PM, Calamity Kris said:

What say ye?

I'd have maintenance come move that mirror next to your desk.

:ph34r:I couldn't help it.

You are fortunate that he will be leaving soon.  I was in management and was asked by the top person in charge to give an honest assessment of my new boss after CEO had received numerous complaints.  Naively, I gave her my honest opinion about the man's incompetence supported by numerous examples.

I ultimately was demoted and, even though I was honest and didn't initiate the report.  The new guy had been the CEO's hand-picked guy and she felt I had been disloyal for not supporting him.  The "new boss" was finally fired after three painful years, but I never was promoted again.  Tread carefully.

Archived