SASS Wire Forum

Woodworking tip

Tyrel Cody

Let's just say that was a fairly expensive piece of Curly Maple that I almost ruined. I think I can save it though. And no pictures will be taken for evidence :lol:

And don't forget that belt sanders have to have their belts installed in a specific direction, too....  :rolleyes:

I am glad you weren’t hurt. My brother’s friend did that very thing. Somehow the blade grabbed the wood he was feeding in to cut and yanked it so hard he ended up having surgery to get the splinters removed. It was a rough cut piece of lumber.  

With a circular saw, if you install the blade backwards it will make a finer cut.

If, for example, you are attempting to cut quarter inch plywood and all you have is a crosscut blade. That coarse blade going frontwards into that thin plywood will trash it. Turn the blade around, and there's a very good chance that you'll get a good smooth cut.

It wears the blade out real fast though.

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

And don't forget that belt sanders have to have their belts installed in a specific direction, too....  :rolleyes:

AND, make sure the on trigger lock is NOT engaged BEFORE you plug it in! :blink:

34 minutes ago, Alpo said:

With a circular saw, if you install the blade backwards it will make a finer cut.

If, for example, you are attempting to cut quarter inch plywood and all you have is a crosscut blade. That coarse blade going frontwards into that thin plywood will trash it. Turn the blade around, and there's a very good chance that you'll get a good smooth cut.

It wears the blade out real fast though.

That's how we used to cut sheet iron for elevator siding.      GW

I don't do woodworking. I built a birdhouse in high school shop class. I got an F, the Housing Commission condemned it, and PETA protested me.

Typically when installing a Band saw blade, it's installed as it was packaged.

Sometimes the blade gets inverted when shipped :blink:, thus when installed, the teeth may be in the wrong direction. :o

Here's how to solve that issue:

Had a visitor to my shop who wanted to learn how to do some dovetailing. As the day went along he told me about a bad batch of bandsaw blades that he had to ship back. I asked him why he had to return the blades and he said “Because the teeth were upside down”. So I showed him how to fix it. He was just a little embarrassed.

Once upon a time a guy asked me to weld up a few band saw blades for him.  So I did and he was happy. A few days later he comes back and with an attitude tells me I welded 2 of them backwards. the teeth are going the wrong way. Without saying a word I took the blades then flipped them inside out and now the teeth were going in the right direction. He turned red, takes the blades and walks away shaking his head.

a bit off track:

always liked the way you drop a rolled up bandsaw blade on the concrete to get it to spring open.  

Just don't stand too close in shorts when you do that.

scars are like tattoos with better stories.

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

a bit off track:

always liked the way you drop a rolled up bandsaw blade on the concrete to get it to spring open.  

Just don't stand too close in shorts when you do that.

scars are like tattoos with better stories.

Cheyenne,

:rolleyes:

75943008_Ilikeit.png.3df1cd763979dbecaa83404a6ffe6c59.png

Oh man Curly Maple, I would just about croke. poop happens.

21 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Works but is about the loudest noise you can make with a Skill saw.;)

Works great! The neighborhood knows where your working with absolutely no doubt!

Archived